Galveston any time soon?

OGtripleOG37

Not likely. There were serious price reductions on those cruises in order to fill the ship.

It think DCL also broke the contract they had with Galveston to leave when they did. I would say, if they are willing to incur the penalties involved with breaking a contract it would not be worthwhile to return.

It'd be nice to have DCL sail out of either Galveston or New Orleans as those port cities are somewhat drivable for folks. For some the added cost of airfare to Florida ports for an already pricey cruise has them look to different vacation plans or to a cheaper cruise line. I also think some of those cruises didn't make CC which can be a deal breaker for some.

The other problem is that Galveston is a lousy port. The transportation from the Houston airports to Galveston is awkward, and if you arrived the day before the cruise, the Houston airport hotels were awful.

While there are aspects of Galveston that I really like, the area around the terminal is not very user friendly, and Galveston is a rough town. The terminal itself is also a dump.

We cruised the Magic out of Galveston the week before Thanksgiving in 2012 and the ship was about half full. We got a heck if a deal and really enjoyed having that much space to ourselves on the ship, but it was kinda sad. And the other people are correct in saying the port of Galveston is a dump. We really didn't feel the Disney experience while at port there. The only way to do so was not to look out the windows!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

Any chance they may be looking at the Port of Houston? I imagine this port is looking to gain some AWESOME exposure and that would definitely be my vote for potential Fall 2015 DCL itineraries. ;)

This would make a lot of folks very excited around here!

The suspense is killing me!! I wish it was MONDAY already!!:cool:

Edited by tokyotea

NO way in the world Disney is going back to Texas this soon. The Galveston experiment was not successful at all. I think they would give New Orleans a try before Texas again, but I think even New Orleans is very unlikely for 2015.

With only 4 ships you have to put them where they will be the most profitable, and Texas was clearly NOT profitable or they would not have departed early and paid to break a contract.

Personally I think the chances of DCL returning to the Gulf coast are about as good as Frozen being a true story. DCL tried it, they lost a ton of money, they have zero incentive to return.

As to the person who suggested it was "driveable," sure, for an extremely limited audience. DCL seems to attract the same demographic as DVC. It's heavily weighted towards guests from NY, NJ, and Florida. It's much more convenient to get to Port Canaveral than Galveston. Additionally, there is synergy with Disney World, as many guests spend a few days or a week there in addition to their cruise, crating an additional revenue stream.

As far as NOLA, I'm not seeing it. There is no incentive, and that port has numerous issues with low water levels, barges blocking the entrance, fog, you name it. NOLA is also not typically considered a family destination. It would be like building DVC in Las Vegas. Not going to happen.

My money is on Southern Caribbean--possibly 10 days from PC--Bermuda, additional Euro routes, and maybe, just maybe Australia.

Meaning not "Galveston" but "Houston"? ;)

Or do you mean not Texas?? :(

What time do you think the info will be out tomorrow?

The release is believed to be Tuesday, not tomorrow, but that is not official. Just speculation based on past releases.

It doesn't matter where they decided to go. I will be happy either way! :) My dh graduates next year with his NP degree so I will be booking his surprise cruise with Disney the moment they open the itineraries for us newbies!! :D

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY Y'ALL!!

Come back to Texas! The 8-night east to walt disneyworld and castaway cay was awesome! Don't think they gave the new itineraries a fair shake. I understand not competing with all of the other lines going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica price wise...

NO way in the world Disney is going back to Texas this soon. The Galveston experiment was not successful at all. I think they would give New Orleans a try before Texas again, but I think even New Orleans is very unlikely for 2015.

With only 4 ships you have to put them where they will be the most profitable, and Texas was clearly NOT profitable or they would not have departed early and paid to break a contract.

Well I stand corrected! Looks like Disney is headed back to Galveston for a shot sailing Season in Nov & Dec of 2015!