Do you think these handles will fit on a soda cup?

PattyW

When did the cups change? My cup from the Allure this past May has a different shape than the one shown here. Mine also has a tall black top on it. Have they started providing a straw with them yet?

Two weeks ago (or so) on Independence the majority of the cups were the new style. A couple of places still had the old cups. I quickly traded in my new style for the old, since I like it so much better. They were great for letting me.

Two weeks ago (or so) on Independence the majority of the cups were the new style. A couple of places still had the old cups. I quickly traded in my new style for the old, since I like it so much better. They were great for letting me.

Out of curiosity, if there's no freestyle machine on the Independence, what's the purpose of the cups, other than "here's something awkward to carry around with you"?

Send it to me, I will check for you.:D

Hehehehehehe - Daghis is actually on my cruise (and he & I have been real-life friends for well over a decade) but I appreciate the offer!! :)

Edited by Jobeth66

Out of curiosity, if there's no freestyle machine on the Independence, what's the purpose of the cups, other than "here's something awkward to carry around with you"?

Souvenir? Larger servings of soda than you'd otherwise get at the bar?

Hello....The best cups/mugs that I've used on several trips are called Tervis Cups. http://www.tervis.com Best ever! Check it out.

I love my Tervis mugs (and Bed, Bath & Beyond sells them), but they won't work in the Coke Freestyle machines on the RCI ships. You'd have to fill the cup they give you, then pour it into the Tervis, necessitating carrying around 2 mugs instead of just one.

Now if the Tervis lids fit the RCI cups, THAT would be perfect. :)

Souvenir? Larger servings of soda than you'd otherwise get at the bar?

Basically this.

I'm getting the soda package on my Independence cruise next month. I don't know whether I'll even bother removing the tumbler from the plastic wrap. I'm pretty sure I won't bring it home as I've already got several here cluttering up my cabinets (with two boys getting the soda packages, that was three cups coming home per cruise for a while).

Hehehehehehe - Daghis is actually on my cruise (and he & I have been real-life friends for well over a decade) but I appreciate the offer!! :)

:D

I'm tempted to swing by Bed Bath and Beyond with my cup from my last cruise and try out the various Tervis accessories to see how they work with it. If I do it, I'll report back what I find.

A bar would serve you soda in a glass.....with the RCI cup, you can take it poolside.

Hello....The best cups/mugs that I've used on several trips are called Tervis Cups. www.tervis.com Best ever! Check it out.

I love my Tervis mugs (and Bed, Bath & Beyond sells them), but they won't work in the Coke Freestyle machines on the RCI ships. You'd have to fill the cup they give you, then pour it into the Tervis, necessitating carrying around 2 mugs instead of just one.

Now if the Tervis lids fit the RCI cups, THAT would be perfect. :)

Go onto the BBB website and pick out one that comes with a lid out of the hundreds of choices. You can then go to your local store and order it through their computer and the 5.99 shipping charge is waived. Here's a link to the one I ordered which I think will look great relaxing poolside filled with many different concoctions.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Tervis-reg-Palmetto-Moon-Wrap-Tumbler-with-Lid-in-Wave/3249207?Keyword=palmetto+tervis

• 2 months later...
I'm looking at something like these for my upcoming cruise. I like it because you can put a carabiner on the strap and strap it to something, or you can sling it over your shoulder (or crossbody for someone small) and carry it that way. A little more than the Tervis handles, but it's also something you can use once you're back from the cruise to hold regular water bottles. Amazon has a bunch of different colors on these.

http://www.amazon.com/NEOSLING-Adjustable-Neoprene-Bottle-Holder/dp/B004VAARMG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391804834&sr=8-5&keywords=neoprene+drink+holder

(Can't post a pic from this computer, I'll try to load the link later)

Do you know if these work for the freestyle cups? On our last cruse I had the cup but never even took it out of the plastic and never used the machines. I only drink coke so I either got it at dinner or while at the pool from the bar. But I was thinking of getting something like these for my kids so that they can carry around their cups on the ship instead of holding them all the time and they maybe won't lose them (they're teens). lmk thanks!

The diameter at the widest point is 12".

And, if, one is terribly worried about leakage, the cup lid has a sliding closer which pretty much keeps anything down to a drip:

https://vine.co/v/M66dZxYWwui

Oh, and, for the record. I have never used these things (not a big enough fan of the freestyle machines to lug it around the ship with me) and had to actually take one out of the wrapping to test it.

Edited by KarinaGW

The diameter at the widest point is 12".

And, if, one is terribly worried about leakage, the cup lid has a sliding closer which pretty much keeps anything down to a drip:

https://vine.co/v/M66dZxYWwui

Thanks for the video! I didn't realized there was a lid!:D Is there a hole for a straw? I think the 12 inches may be the circumference? Do you possibly know the diameter, the width of the opening (mouth of the cup)? If my rusty math skills serve me right it should be just under 4 inches? Are the cups changed often? I am not sailing until September 2014. Thanks!

I wish we had the machines on the Navigator. There were times I was unable to get a Coke from the bars. Not because they didn't want to honor the card but because they were so busy. I believe it would have been easier to go to the machines and get it myself. There was never any problem with them giving me a Coke but sometimes we had to stand in line a long time and sometimes we just left and gave up. It was nice not having to sign anything to get them though.

I wish we had the machines on the Navigator. There were times I was unable to get a Coke from the bars. Not because they didn't want to honor the card but because they were so busy. I believe it would have been easier to go to the machines and get it myself. There was never any problem with them giving me a Coke but sometimes we had to stand in line a long time and sometimes we just left and gave up. It was nice not having to sign anything to get them though.

I agree that having the option, whether bar or self-serve, would be nice to have on all ships! I'm sure it's only a matter of time :D

Thanks for the video! I didn't realized there was a lid!:D Is there a hole for a straw? I think the 12 inches may be the circumference? Do you possibly know the diameter, the width of the opening (mouth of the cup)? If my rusty math skills serve me right it should be just under 4 inches? Are the cups changed often? I am not sailing until September 2014. Thanks!

The diameter is 3 1/2 inches.

The pertinent diameter is that between the screw threads inside the rim and that's 3⅛".

Yes. A straw will go in. I had to actually think about it because the hole goes in at a slight angle.

When they added the freestyle machines, they changed the cup design. The previous design was in place for as long as they had the program that included them. I see no reason why they would change out this design anytime soon.

PERSONALLY, I think they should put the dang chip in the Seapass card...has to be cheaper to produce and way more convenient than hauling the cup around.

Edited by KarinaGW
Because this stupid wireless keyboard sucks eggs.

The pertinent diameter is that between the screw threads inside the rim and that's 3⅛".

Yes. A straw will go in. I had to actually think about it because the hole goes in at a slight angle.

When they added the freestyle machines, they changed the cup design. The previous design was in place for as long as they had the program that included them. I see no reason why they would change out this design anytime soon.

PERSONALLY, I think they should put the dang chip in the Seapass card...has to be cheaper to produce and way more convenient than hauling the cup around.

The ring goes on the outside of the cup so the inner diameter and threads are irrelevant.

The ring goes on the outside of the cup so the inner diameter and threads are irrelevant.

Actually, the circumference is what makes the difference for the ring.

The diameter matters if you were replacing the lid. If you were replacing the lid with something that goes inside the cup mouth, the screw threads are definitely relevant.

And, the 12" is at the widest point point of the cup. It actually tapers ever so slightly towards the mouth again.

Edited by KarinaGW

Has anyone tried anything that works for them? I like the carabiner idea and I am thinking of going this direction. Does anyone know the largest diameter of the drink cup? :)

CL_OR_summer-11_0397.jpg

Actually, the circumference is what makes the difference for the ring.

The diameter matters if you were replacing the lid. If you were replacing the lid with something that goes inside the cup mouth, the screw threads are definitely relevant.

And, the 12" is at the widest point point of the cup. It actually tapers ever so slightly towards the mouth again.

The poster has a ring that they posted a picture of and they know the diameter of the ring. They are trying to see if the ring will stay on the cup. I am aware of the circumference of the cup as I already posted the figures earlier in this thread.

Nrain, we use rings like the one you have and ours typically like to go up to the lip of the cup. These cups have no lip to act as a stopper so unless your ring is smaller than the diameter, it is liable to slide off. The other issue is the slide to open the cup to drink, it is not a tight seal at all so if you tilt the cup, liquid will spill.

The poster has a ring that they posted a picture of and they know the diameter of the ring. They are trying to see if the ring will stay on the cup. I am aware of the circumference of the cup as I already posted the figures earlier in this thread.

Nrain, we use rings like the one you have and ours typically like to go up to the lip of the cup. These cups have no lip to act as a stopper so unless your ring is smaller than the diameter, it is liable to slide off. The other issue is the slide to open the cup to drink, it is not a tight seal at all so if you tilt the cup, liquid will spill.

I think I see that we are coming at the situations from different angles. You're assuming a solid ring with a fixed diameter. I'm assuming a flexible ring with a capability of a potential variety of diameters/shapes..i.e., this cupholder will fit cups from 11" to 13" in circumference. Depending on the product in question, either or both of us could be correct.