Valet parking from Manhattan Cruise Port

Sparkygirl

I'm curious as to what you exactly mean by valet parking. My understanding is that the port parking is on the roof and you park yourself. At many Manhattan parking locations you leave your keys and they park your car.

Is this really a question about dropping off your luggage?

There's definitely no valet parking at the port. It's self parking at $40 per day on the roof of the pier.

There really isn't any need for valet parking. You park your car and take the elevator down one level to check in for your cruise. Sometimes there are porters on the rooftop parking deck that can take your bags right there, but if there are none, you just turn your bags over to the porters on the check in level.

If you want to park at a nearby garage instead, virtually every parking garage in Manhattan is "valet" parking only. You turn your car over to an attendant at the entrance to the garage.

When we sailed out of Tampa in January their port parking had an offer for valet parking. At the curbside you get out of your car with your luggage and they took your keys and your car and parked it for you. When you returned they brought your car back to you.

We are a family of 6 ranging in age from 97 to 3 years old. The port information seems to say that it is not possible to drop off 5 members of our party and all luggage while the driver parks the vehicle. That everyone would need to unload on the rooftop parking area and walk back to the check-in area. We are trying to minimize extra walking for my grandmother.

Am I misunderstanding what was on the Port website? We have never sailed out of manhattan before, I did find on-line an off site garage that allows you to pick up their valet driver, they drive you to the port, drop you and your luggage off and then take your car and park but I'm not sure if it is a reputable company or if others have ever used a company that does that.

Edited by Sparkygirl

When we sailed out of Tampa in January their port parking had an offer for valet parking. At the curbside you get out of your car with your luggage and they took your keys and your car and parked it for you. When you returned they brought your car back to you.

We are a family of 6 ranging in age from 97 to 3 years old. The port information seems to say that it is not possible to drop off 5 members of our party and all luggage while the driver parks the vehicle. That everyone would need to unload on the rooftop parking area and walk back to the check-in area. We are trying to minimize extra walking for my grandmother.

Am I misunderstanding what was on the Port website? We have never sailed out of manhattan before, I did find on-line an off site garage that allows you to pick up their valet driver, they drive you to the port, drop you and your luggage off and then take your car and park but I'm not sure if it is a reputable company or if others have ever used a company that does that.

You can drop the rest of your party and your luggage right by the elevator immediately after your car is checked by the friendly bomb-sniffing dog. The driver can then park the car and walk back to the elevator to join everyone else and proceed downstairs. There's very little walking involved.

You can drop the rest of your party and your luggage right by the elevator immediately after your car is checked by the friendly bomb-sniffing dog. The driver can then park the car and walk back to the elevator to join everyone else and proceed downstairs. There's very little walking involved.

Thank you! Excellent information and a great reassurance.

For some reason, they were not allowing cars to drop off passengers/luggage in this area on our cruise in November. It wasn't a big deal - we were there by 9:45, and didn't have a far walk back to the elevator.

Departed 5 times out of Manhattan :) ...so easy !

I never drop passengers and luggage at drop off level because then you have to get out of the terminal, turn left on 9A north, drive a couple of block ( length of cruise terminal ) turn left to get back in terminal and right to roof top and drive to the parking. At peek hours of arrival/departure you will loose between 30 to 45 minutes doing so.

First, if you want to avoid ALL of the traffic you have to arrive FROM the north on 9A south. You hang right, enter terminal and go right up to parking level, pay the lady and have the car sniffed by a dog. If there is a line waiting to enter they will not permit you to pull over and unload passengers and suitcases. Worst case there are handicapped parking on your left, stop there and unload and hurry out so you wont block someone how needs the space. Or do what I do, park the car.. Be amazed by the size and beauty of the ship you are about to get on :) take pictures...enjoy the moment...then grab the luggage and walk to the elevator ( if you would park in the last existing parking stop at the end of the roof it would a 750 foot walk) then go to drop off level, turn left to go out and hand your luggage to porters. 2$ per bags in NYC is customary. Head back in to process to security...enjoy the vacation !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

...hand your luggage to porters. 2$ per bags in NYC is customary. Head back in to process to security...enjoy the vacation !!

$2? No wonder the porter was so helpful when I tipped him $20 for 4 bags

$2? No wonder the porter was so helpful when I tipped him $20 for 4 bags

That would explain it yes !!

Usually 1$ per bag in other port and 2$ in NYC.

Funny thing is...at my first cruise back in 2010 in NYC, I knew about the 2$ and we dropped the luggage at the drop off and I already had the $$ ready in hand for the fellow. He took the bags and placed them on the cart, I handed him the money...he looked at me and asked me " is this your first cruise ? " I said yes..he smiled and told me " keep the money you will need it for the parking...have a nice cruise "....I kept the 10$ and still remember that fellow today...what a nice guy !

Hey, I'm wondering what time I should shoot for getting there the morning of my cruise. We're coming from the north (Maine/I-95) and planning on staying around Milford or New Haven and finishing the drive in the morning. Google maps is telling me that will take approximately 90 minutes.

I'm from a family of worriers with anxiety about being late, so even though Google is telling me it will take 90 minutes, in my head I'm planning for the drive to take 3 hours (traffic/accidents). I saw on the website that parking opens at 9 am - what happens if I get there before that?

Hey, I'm wondering what time I should shoot for getting there the morning of my cruise. We're coming from the north (Maine/I-95) and planning on staying around Milford or New Haven and finishing the drive in the morning. Google maps is telling me that will take approximately 90 minutes.

I'm from a family of worriers with anxiety about being late, so even though Google is telling me it will take 90 minutes, in my head I'm planning for the drive to take 3 hours (traffic/accidents). I saw on the website that parking opens at 9 am - what happens if I get there before that?

If you get there before 9 you're going to be sitting in your car waiting for the lot to open, and remember you need to give the departing passengers time to leave and open up parking spaces.

You're on the Breakaway departing on a Sunday. That is the day of the week with the absolutely lightest traffic (of course there can always be delays caused by accidents, disabled cars or weather).

We try to arrive at the pier at about 10:30. It doesn't make sense to arrive much earlier because you're just going to stand around in the cruise terminal waiting for check in to start.

If you leave at 7:30, which would normally get you to the pier at 9, even if your travel time doubles to 3 hours you're still going to get there at 10:30, which is really a good time to arrive. If you leave at 8 and it takes 3 hours, you're still going to arrive at a good time.

In other words, no need to leave before 7:30 or 8 (heck even 8:30 or 9 will work).

If you get there before 9 you're going to be sitting in your car waiting for the lot to open, and remember you need to give the departing passengers time to leave and open up parking spaces.

You're on the Breakaway departing on a Sunday. That is the day of the week with the absolutely lightest traffic (of course there can always be delays caused by accidents, disabled cars or weather).

We try to arrive at the pier at about 10:30. It doesn't make sense to arrive much earlier because you're just going to stand around in the cruise terminal waiting for check in to start.

If you leave at 7:30, which would normally get you to the pier at 9, even if your travel time doubles to 3 hours you're still going to get there at 10:30, which is really a good time to arrive. If you leave at 8 and it takes 3 hours, you're still going to arrive at a good time.

In other words, no need to leave before 7:30 or 8 (heck even 8:30 or 9 will work).

Thanks for that reassurance. I basically just needed to hear it from someone with experience, because I have family members telling me I'm crazy for not staying in Manhattan the night before and I was starting to believe them.

Here is the cars only directions to the port. I've driven northbound many times on a Sunday morning and it is absolutely the best day of the week to drive in NY.

From I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport. The toll is worth every penny.

The are no triucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

Here is the cars only directions to the port. I've driven northbound many times on a Sunday morning and it is absolutely the best day of the week to drive in NY.

From I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport. The toll is worth every penny.

The are no triucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

That's great information, thanks for the tip!

• 2 years later...

Has anyone ever staying in a hotel that lets you park for free and then taken a cab to the Manhattan terminal? I know the Baltimore terminal well, but have never done the Manhattan one and thought it might be good to just have someone drive me in!

Has anyone ever staying in a hotel that lets you park for free and then taken a cab to the Manhattan terminal? I know the Baltimore terminal well, but have never done the Manhattan one and thought it might be good to just have someone drive me in!

The best deal is at the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield, NJ. For April 16 they charge about $280 tax included for a room, free breakfast, parking for the cruise, and round trip port transportation. Port parking alone for 7 days is $280, so this is a great deal.