Autumn Pool time on the Royal, NY to Canada

calisilent

My husband and I are booked Oct 4 for the NY to Canada cruise. I am wondering if anyone can share information on the weather if they have done this cruise before. Can we expect it to be nice enough for swimming on the sea day or is it too cold to even bother bringing swim-wear?

Edited by calisilent

Doing it the week after you, did some research and the answer seems to be a definite maybe. It really can vary.

Ambient temperature at best should be in the 50s to low 60s and with the Royal having no covered pool, I can't see anything but the hot tubs being active, unless they crank up the pool heaters.

That said, spikes into the 70s have been seen that time of year.

I used Bar Harbor as a point of reference, the average over the last 7 years was about 53, with a max of 61 and low of 42

My husband and I are booked Oct 4 for the NY to Canada cruise. I am wondering if anyone can share information on the weather if they have done this cruise before. Can we expect it to be nice enough for swimming on the sea day or is it too cold to even bother bringing swim-wear?

Doing it the week after you, did some research and the answer seems to be a definite maybe. It really can vary.

Ambient temperature at best should be in the 50s to low 60s and with the Royal having no covered pool, I can't see anything but the hot tubs being active, unless they crank up the pool heaters.

That said, spikes into the 70s have been seen that time of year.

I used Bar Harbor as a point of reference, the average over the last 7 years was about 53, with a max of 61 and low of 42

This is pretty close. The ocean temperature is very cold even in the summer north of Cape Cod as the Gulf Stream turns towards the UK off the coast. It doesn't often get above 60-degrees even in the summer. Which means that being on the water will be a lot colder than being on land. Bring layers because it'll start off really chilly in the morning and then warm up. I agree that unless you're planning to use the hot tubs, it'll be way too cold to use the pool.

The first week of October is the probably the best week to go. The leaves will be turning as you head north and once you get to Canada, they'll be peak or near peak. The further north you go or inland, the stronger the color. The coast is among the last places to turn color.

If you have a chance when you stop in Boston, go to see Marblehead. :) I'm totally biased as I lived there for years. Here's a site with some wonderful photos of Marblehead: http://wednesdaysinmhd.com/

New York can be warm at the beginning of October with brilliant,sunny days.

If you have room in your suitcase ,I would pack a swim suit etc.

You may be able to get some pool time.

If you don't pack those items, you may be regretful.

Enjoy the Fall in the Northeast,it is a beautiful season!

If you have a chance when you stop in Boston, go to see Marblehead. :) I'm totally biased as I lived there for years. Here's a site with some wonderful photos of Marblehead: http://wednesdaysinmhd.com/

Well I looked at your Marblehead Link Pam, and cannot imagine WHY you would ever want to leave that gorgeous place.

Karen

Well I looked at your Marblehead Link Pam, and cannot imagine WHY you would ever want to leave that gorgeous place.
Two words: snow and family. I now live in another gorgeous place and have family nearby. :) My heart is in Marblehead but I love living in SoCal where "winter" is low-mid 60's and summers are dry and low 80's. :) I try to go back every other year.

We have done this cruise twice. Once in August and once in Oct. We did not get into the pool on either one. Probably the one place that was warm enough would have been NY.

Well, being from Canada (Toronto, Ontario), October is iffy. We have a pool in the backyard and we keep it open until our Thanksgiving (first weekend in October). But, as for August, I'm not sure what temperatures are considered "pool" weather, but we are usually in the mid to high 20's C. Which is around 80 degrees F plus. It is not unusual to reach into the 90's F across many parts of Canada in August. Honest…we don't all live in igloos and snowshoe to work..lol.

We were on the CB 9/14/2013 for this same cruise. We just loved it - the ports were fantastic!! We spent 4 days in NYC prior to the cruise and the temps were 90 - 100 but once on the ship and out to sea the temps were much cooler. We never even wore shorts on the cruise or in the ports. The weather was beautiful and sunny but always jeans and short sleeve shirts with a lite jacket at times. We took swimming suits thinking the hot tub would be nice after a busy day in port but we were always to busy enjoying the ship activities.

Have fun, it's a great itinerary!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our first cruise to New England and Canada was on the Golden Princess. One of my favorite memories from that cruise was swimming in the aft pool while the ship was still in New York City. We had great views of the city from the pool. Even when the weather turned cooler later on that cruise, we still enjoyed the hot tubs.