Is this a bit Pricey?

Last weekend was looking at cruises for jan2015 saw one on Rhapsody 9 night south pacific $3526.00 for 2 adults in a JS

Went to book it today the price is now $4938.00? which equates to $548.00 per night for 2 adults seems a bit steep to me and this is supposed to be part of Royals early bird sail

Unless I am a bit out of tune with prices these days but we will be on Solstice soon which works out at $274.00 for two adults in a C1 cabin

I know they are not the same as a JS on Royal but the JS price seems to expensive to me or am I wrong?

Last weekend was looking at cruises for jan2015 saw one on Rhapsody 9 night south pacific $3526.00 for 2 adults in a JS

Went to book it today the price is now $4938.00? which equates to $548.00 per night for 2 adults seems a bit steep to me and this is supposed to be part of Royals early bird sail

Unless I am a bit out of tune with prices these days but we will be on Solstice soon which works out at $274.00 for two adults in a C1 cabin

I know they are not the same as a JS on Royal but the JS price seems to expensive to me or am I wrong?

Ahhh. You missed out. RCL probably were just selling off a couple of cabins cheap. Sometimes its good to snag them when you see them.

Sometimes sales are not sales. Cruiselines have been known to hike up their prices and then put then on sale with some OBC to lure people in. That new pricing of $4938 is steep.

Edited by icat2000

I am new to cruising and looking to book another Christmas cruise this year. I am learning very fast that prices fluctuate on a daily basis. If you see a good rate, you need to place a hold on it immediately.

I wanted to go on the Radiance this Christmas. In the past month,the price has been going upwards (despite the current sale) and it is now at $3700.00 pp for an inside cabin.

I am new to cruising and looking to book another Christmas cruise this year. I am learning very fast that prices fluctuate on a daily basis. If you see a good rate, you need to place a hold on it immediately.

I wanted to go on the Radiance this Christmas. In the past month,the price has been going upwards (despite the current sale) and it is now at $3700.00 pp for an inside cabin.

thats way too dear for a xmas cruise, you can get a p&o, carnival or even celebrity much cheaper but remember if you book a p&o or carnival you dont have to pay tips as its included in the fare

As you say, a C1 is different from a JS on RCL.

C1s are concierge class and, just guessing, there are probably a couple of hundred of those grade of cabins (C1-C3). They're basically balconies with a few extra amenities, and the same size as all other regular cabins.

JS are suites and the next grade up on RCL. They're about 50% larger than a regular cabin, so the price reflects that. They also have things regular cabins don't, like a bathtub! Again, just guessing but there are probably about 60 of them.

On the same sort of cruise, a Rhapsody junior suite would almost certainly be a fair bit more expensive than a concierge cabin on Solstice, and double the price is pretty normal.

Edited by The_Big_M

I agree with those that advise to grab a good price really quick! We tend to think that a sale is for the defined period, but not a cruise sale! If you nick down to the Supermarket the price is expected to be the same on the last day of the sale. On a cruise sale they go up and down, just like they do all the time!

Christmas and New Year cruises seem to be very pricey.

Just wondering OP, do you have children? January cruises out of Aus are about 1/3 children, and unless you love lots of kids, they are not to everyone's taste!

Edited by kjsmith63

As you say, a C1 is different from a JS on RCL.

C1s are concierge class and, just guessing, there are probably a couple of hundred of those grade of cabins (C1-C3). They're basically balconies with a few extra amenities, and the same size as all other regular cabins.

JS are suites and the next grade up on RCL. They're about 50% larger than a regular cabin, so the price reflects that. They also have things regular cabins don't, like a bathtub! Again, just guessing but there are probably about 60 of them.

On the same sort of cruise, a Rhapsody junior suite would almost certainly be a fair bit more expensive than a concierge cabin on Solstice, and double the price is pretty normal.

The OP did say they recognised that C cabins on Solstice were of course a lower category than a JS. I agree you can't really compare - perhaps a sky Suite might have been better but the point they were making was that the cruise had increase by $1400 from when the saw it till when they went to book

For the same itinerary on Radiance in Jan 2015, it's about $6600 for 2 in a Jnr Suite, $4900 not too bad. Donna

The OP did say they recognised that C cabins on Solstice were of course a lower category than a JS.

I acknowledged that at the beginning. But I got the impression they didn't see the difference as great as they actually are. It's not like the difference between say a balcony and CC.

the point they were making was that the cruise had increase by $1400 from when the saw it till when they went to book

That was a statement within.

However, the topic and question posed was about whether it was pricey, and they concluded by asking "the JS price seems to expensive to me or am I wrong?" so the increase wasn't the main point.

Edited by The_Big_M

For the same itinerary on Radiance in Jan 2015, it's about $6600 for 2 in a Jnr Suite, $4900 not too bad. Donna

Hi Donna,

Junior Suites on the Radiance are better cabins though. I think your cruise is 10 nights also (not sure). In any event I think in this case it's too much. I think Princess are overpriced generally for what they offer and I really don't want to see RCI head the same way.

Cheers

Di

I take your point BigM but my take on the first post was that they were happy to book at the first price but felt the increased fare quoted was pricey. No matter, not an issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That is what I am saying the first price was a good price but to pay $548.00 per night just seems a bit much and we have been in a JS on Rhapsody before and it just seems pricey (last cruise in march in JS 3 adults $4870.00 11 nights) As I said C1 and JS are different but having never sailed celebrity all I can see is an extra 45sq feet and a bath tub in the JS

But at the end of the day if I don't like I don't have to book it

Having said that just booked the Radiance 9 night Jan cruise Balcony for $362.00 per night 2 adults

Thanks for your replies

Just wondering OP, do you have children? January cruises out of Aus are about 1/3 children, and unless you love lots of kids, they are not to everyone's taste!

Do have children but not coming on this one

Your right probably be a lot of kids but it is the only time we can get holidays

Thanks anyway

That is what I am saying the first price was a good price but to pay $548.00 per night just seems a bit much and we have been in a JS on Rhapsody before and it just seems pricey (last cruise in march in JS 3 adults $4870.00 11 nights) As I said C1 and JS are different but having never sailed celebrity all I can see is an extra 45sq feet and a bath tub in the JS

But at the end of the day if I don't like I don't have to book it

Having said that just booked the Radiance 9 night Jan cruise Balcony for $362.00 per night 2 adults

Thanks for your replies

That's the one we booked too departs 4th Jan. (9 nights south pacific)..prices are still pretty good on this one! Now that the xmas /nye cruises are so ridiculously priced I think many will start to see what's on offer after this period. Be interesting to see how much they go up after the sale. I have started a roll call .....on there on my little lonesome...feel free to join in :D

Be wary of some of the prices on the current rccl sales. I found that they are highly inflated, then they apply a huge discount which brings it back to the real price. You dont see the discounted price until you di a dummy booking.

I compared the last 7 day Tasmania cruise we just did with the same cruise next year. The base cruise fare was highly inflated and when the $1000 dollar discount was applied came back to within $400 of the price i paid fir this year.

Dont have the excact figures with me but will post them when i get home.

My bet is that the base price will drop after the sale end on Feb 28.

There are some good deals though such as JS fir balcony price.

Hugh

Be wary of some of the prices on the current rccl sales. I found that they are highly inflated, then they apply a huge discount which brings it back to the real price. You dont see the discounted price until you di a dummy booking.

I compared the last 7 day Tasmania cruise we just did with the same cruise next year. The base cruise fare was highly inflated and when the $1000 dollar discount was applied came back to within $400 of the price i paid fir this year.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Thanks for that info as I said the price for the JS seemed a bit much when we are paying $4668.00 for 17nights on solstice in a C1 and as I said JS and C1 don't compare(except for 45sq feet and a bath tub) but the JS price certainly doesn't seem like a sale price to me

Hugh

Where can one find gems like that??? And for when/which ship??

Hi Hugh

Thanks for that info as I said the price for the JS seemed a bit much when we are paying $4668.00 for 17nights on solstice in a C1 and as I said JS and C1 don't compare(except for 45sq feet and a bath tub) but the JS price certainly doesn't seem like a sale price to me

That's actually quite cheap.

Finding a more comparable cruise (9 nights in Jan) on Solstice, and in comparable accommodation gets a price of $5112 in their entry level suite. (18 Jan 15).

As said, it's a pretty typical price for that cruise and accommodation.

That's actually quite cheap.

Finding a more comparable cruise (9 nights in Jan) on Solstice, and in comparable accommodation gets a price of $5112 in their entry level suite. (18 Jan 15).

As said, it's a pretty typical price for that cruise and accommodation.

I must apologise I have been saying C1 should read C3 sorry about that not sure where I got the 1 from but I still think it is a good price

That's certainly quite a good price.

$137/night for a high end balcony cabin as you're paying on Solstice is near the target benchmark of $100/night that many have for an inside! So you're doing well with that.

Whereas for a C3 on the comparable Solstice cruise i.e. same month, same duration, same destination, the price is a much more typical $220/night/person, or $440/night to use comparable figures to yours above.

As you see that's only $100/night for the cabin more (or $50/person) for the JS. As said before, that's a pretty typical, reasonable sort of price difference - the JS is actually cheaper than the Celebrity base suite equivalent of the Sky Suite.

Edited by The_Big_M

There is a good price on Radiance for next weeks 18 night to Perth at $153 per night or $3700 pp for a Guarantee JS and only $400 dearer than a D1 Balcony. This would normally be $250.

Sigh, if only i wasnt committed.

Compare this with the 7 day Tassie i mentioned earlier next Feb at $1819 pp ($259 per day) in a JS and only $100 dollars dearer than a D1 Balcony. Sorry, price must have gone up a bit as it was cheaper than the Balcony last week. From my files, i paid exactly the same price for the cruise ealier this year.

If you look at the website, next Feb cruise shows a $2819 pp for a JS. Hence my comments earlier, warning people of over inflated prices. When you click onto the price shown as if to make a booking, they apply a $1000 WOW sale discount bringing the price back to the real price.

Is this false advertising? Probably not as this topic was bashec to death last year.

Hugh