Whatsapp

cwbabe48

Has anyone ever used the app whatsapp for text messaging while on the ship or in the Carribean?

Thanks

Marcia

To be honest, I'm a techie, and I've heard of whatsapp - but in general the last thing I think I need is ANOTHER messaging program. Text messaging works great - and if you can get wifi but not cellular (in which case SMS won't work) there are a WHOLE lot more people in my circle of friends and family with Facebook for messaging than there are with whatsapp.

Thanks, I knew I had to disable cellular data, and data roaming but I wondered while on the ship if I would have to purchase the wifi package or wait until at a port location with wifi?

Marcia

Ah, ok - that's a slightly different question! Yes, to use whatsapp, fb messenger or any other messaging app except SMS/MMS texts, requires an internet connection - which can be obtained either through WiFi or cellular connections. SMS/MMS work only via the cellular network. If you don't have either a WiFi or cellular connection, NO messaging app will work.

(Before anyone jumps in to argue, there are a few technical exceptions to this, involving setting up two phones to do peer-to-peer connection, or setting up your phone to be a WiFi hotspot even though its not connected to the internet. Both of those are non-trivial to accomplish from a technical perspective, and the range if you DID do it, among all the metal on a ship, would be so minimal as to be worthless - you're not going to get from your stateroom to the pool, for instance.)

I use Whatsapp daily and very often to connect with people all over the world. You need an internet connection to use this, so maybe you could wait while in port to use free wifi somewhere. Or you can Skype using this same free wifi.

• 3 years later...

I am a non techie....soooooo, does that mean that if a download whatsappp i can send and receive text messages abord a cruise ship without buying or paying for their wifi.

what precautions should I take with my cell to make certain I do not get "accidental" charges. If i place it on airplane mode i cannot receive text messages or calls. But i just want my cell to be available to receive emergency calls or messages. Don't understand what i do with "data plan" or "roaming" or "wi fi on or off". and sorry but you lost me regarding the "sim card". I are smart but may be technically challenged...lol

I am a non techie....soooooo, does that mean that if a download whatsappp i can send and receive text messages abord a cruise ship without buying or paying for their wifi.

No. There is no way to send or receive any messages on your phone/tablet on the ship without paying a price.

what precautions should I take with my cell to make certain I do not get "accidental" charges. If i place it on airplane mode i cannot receive text messages or calls. But i just want my cell to be available to receive emergency calls or messages. Don't understand what i do with "data plan" or "roaming" or "wi fi on or off". and sorry but you lost me regarding the "sim card". I are smart but may be technically challenged...lol

The easiest way to get half of what you want (everything but incoming emergency calls) is to turn airplane mode on, and then turn wifi on. You can then connect to local hotspots and anything you do will not cost you anything.

If all of this is a foreign language to you, then your only safe bet is to just not use it and leave it turned off. Every phone is a little different on how you can accomplish what you want, so no one can give you specific step by step instructions.

Alternatively, you can switch to T-Mobile. Their plans include international coverage. Voice calls are charged per minute, but text and data are free. The free data is slow, but more than enough to use messenger apps.

You need to pay for the ship's WiFi to use Whatsapp.

If you turn off cellular data, you will stop the most expensive cellular charges. However, you can still receive calls and simple (no photo, no video, no group) text messages.

Depending on your carrier and phone, you can get full phone coverage if you have a WIFI connection. I have an Iphone so I can only speak for Iphones. We have ATT and our kids have Verizon. If you have an Iphone, and your carrier has "wifi calling," (both ATT and Verizon have it) you can simply turn it on for free. Go into your Iphone settings, scroll down to "phone." Select "wifi calling." Open it up and enable Wifi Calling. It will ask you for an emergency address. This is because if you are using Wife Calling it doesn't use the cell towers, but the internet (like Whatsapp). If you dial 911 while on Wifi calling, it gives the address listed. This can be updated as you like when you are traveling. Anyway, once it's enabled, when you get on the ship and purchase the Internet Package, put your phone in Airplane Mode, then turn on Wifi, and once connected the phone will switch to wifi calling. It will show in the upper corner something like "AT&T Wifi" or "VZW wifi." If it says that, you are in wifi calling mode and can send and receive texts, make phone calls, etc. with no charge domestically. So you can call any U.S. number for free just like you are in the U.S. The phone you call doesn't need to be in the U.S., it just needs to be a U.S. number. So you can call your spouse while bot of you are on the ship. We used it last week on Oasis. We had 11 of us were able to text each other, call each other, etc. on the ship. Works fantastically. If you aren't sure if you have wifi calling, contact your carrier. I imagine there is some similar capability for non-Iphone users. We live in an area where our cell coverage in our house can be spotty. Since I have wifi calling enabled, my phone automatically switches to wifi calling as it's a stronger signal in my house. However you'll need airplane mode because the ship's satellite phone system will be a strong signal and your phone won't always switch over . But placing it in airplane mode and turning your wifi on forces the automatic switch and prevents any unintentional cell usage.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Depending on your carrier and phone, you can get full phone coverage if you have a WIFI connection. I have an Iphone so I can only speak for Iphones. We have ATT and our kids have Verizon. If you have an Iphone, and your carrier has "wifi calling," (both ATT and Verizon have it) you can simply turn it on for free. Go into your Iphone settings, scroll down to "phone." Select "wifi calling." Open it up and enable Wifi Calling. It will ask you for an emergency address. This is because if you are using Wife Calling it doesn't use the cell towers, but the internet (like Whatsapp). If you dial 911 while on Wifi calling, it gives the address listed. This can be updated as you like when you are traveling. Anyway, once it's enabled, when you get on the ship and purchase the Internet Package, put your phone in Airplane Mode, then turn on Wifi, and once connected the phone will switch to wifi calling. It will show in the upper corner something like "AT&T Wifi" or "VZW wifi." If it says that, you are in wifi calling mode and can send and receive texts, make phone calls, etc. with no charge domestically. So you can call any U.S. number for free just like you are in the U.S. The phone you call doesn't need to be in the U.S., it just needs to be a U.S. number. So you can call your spouse while bot of you are on the ship. We used it last week on Oasis. We had 11 of us were able to text each other, call each other, etc. on the ship. Works fantastically. If you aren't sure if you have wifi calling, contact your carrier. I imagine there is some similar capability for non-Iphone users. We live in an area where our cell coverage in our house can be spotty. Since I have wifi calling enabled, my phone automatically switches to wifi calling as it's a stronger signal in my house. However you'll need airplane mode because the ship's satellite phone system will be a strong signal and your phone won't always switch over . But placing it in airplane mode and turning your wifi on forces the automatic switch and prevents any unintentional cell usage.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

This information is extremely helpful. I will be on Allure one month from today and will need to make calls to my mom who is in a nursing home. I do plan to get the Voom package and was wondering about making calls. I have a Samsung 8 phone and my husband has an I-Phone with Verizon so I am sure I will be able to make WiFI calls. I did hear about this new feature but was not sure if it will work. Thanks again :)

This information is extremely helpful. I will be on Allure one month from today and will need to make calls to my mom who is in a nursing home. I do plan to get the Voom package and was wondering about making calls. I have a Samsung 8 phone and my husband has an I-Phone with Verizon so I am sure I will be able to make WiFI calls. I did hear about this new feature but was not sure if it will work. Thanks again :)

Be sure to activate and test the feature at home so you can get help from your cell carrier if necessary. Test by putting the phone in Airplane mode and then turning on WiFi. See if you can send/receive texts and make/receive calls.

Edited by Host Clarea

Yes thank you papaflamingo (y) for the advise. Just checked my phone a Samsung Note 5 with AT&T and it has wi-fi calling. Nice to know if need be I can send or receive calls and or text's while I'm on board via the voom wi-fi or anywhere in ports connected to wi-fi.

Be sure to activate and test the feature at home so you can get help from your cell carrier if necessary. Test by putting the phone in Airplane mode and then turing on WiFi. See if you can send/receive texts and make/receive calls.
Oh thanks for that piece of advise will Defenitly do that before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alternatively, you can switch to T-Mobile. Their plans include international coverage. Voice calls are charged per minute, but text and data are free. The free data is slow, but more than enough to use messenger apps.

They guarantee 2G data in all countries, but in many countries, you get 4G or LTE data. When you access the network in a new country, you get a text message, and it tells you what speed data you will have in that country.

They may charge, even for wifi calls in foreign countries. But at 20 cents per minute, it is not a big deal.

Needless to say, I am a happy T-Mobile customer. And I travel a lot internationally.

Be sure to activate and test the feature at home so you can get help from your cell carrier if necessary. Test by putting the phone in Airplane mode and then turning on WiFi. See if you can send/receive texts and make/receive calls.

Actually, IIRC, you need to have a cellular connection to enable it the first time.

So turn on wifi calling WITH cellular connection. THEN you can go to airplane mode, turn wifi back on, and try calling.

Actually, IIRC, you need to have a cellular connection to enable it the first time.

So turn on wifi calling WITH cellular connection. THEN you can go to airplane mode, turn wifi back on, and try calling.

Correct, that's why I mentioned activating at home.

We don't need to make calls but would love to be able to text each other while onboard the biggest ship in the world! We all have iPhones. I don't wanna purchase any wifi plans onboard Harmony. Will whattsapp be good to use or some other platform?

We don't need to make calls but would love to be able to text each other while onboard the biggest ship in the world! We all have iPhones. I don't wanna purchase any wifi plans onboard Harmony. Will whattsapp be good to use or some other platform?

WhatsApp will not work without the purchase of a WiFi plan.

On Harmony, you will be able to use the Royal IQ app. Free download, once onboard you pay $7.95 per phone for the entire cruise to get texting and voice call capability. Note that the Royal IQ app will only allow you to communicate with others on the same cruise using the same app.

Free download, once onboard you pay $7.95 per phone for the entire cruise to get texting and voice call capability.

and the texting/calling is in the app only - not integrated with the phone messaging/calling. There have been some reports of "regular" texts leaking through (without a VOOM package) on ships which use Royal IQ, but you can't count on that.

WhatsApp will not work without the purchase of a WiFi plan.

On Harmony, you will be able to use the Royal IQ app. Free download, once onboard you pay $7.95 per phone for the entire cruise to get texting and voice call capability. Note that the Royal IQ app will only allow you to communicate with others on the same cruise using the same app.

I don’t know about Harmony but on some other ships, folks have claimed that iMessage worked without purchasing WiFi. As long as each phone was connected to WiFi, like to access one of the free links, then imessaging worked. You might want to at least give that a try first.