Formal Nights for Men

dafne

I'd argue that the line "I paid X for Y, ergo I should be able to do Z" can be disrespectful (especially since it seems to be used to justify prohibited or boorish behavior or by one attempting to ignore the stated dress code). So long as you follow the dress code, who cares.

This roll call is amusing. Let me put it out there for all to read. If Richard Branson sat at your table with a sports jacket and an open collar shirt, would that be an Apalling gesture for all ?? Funny thing is, his outfit would of cost 10 times what your little tux did. Again for those we missed it. Its not the outfit that makes the person , Its the person who makes the outfit. some people need to bring there noses down from the moon and smell the grass.

P.S. Also, i have done business with Richard, and let me tell you, he's a class act. He doesn't let people dictate how or what he's going to wear. Enjoy your Roll Call.

This roll call is amusing. Let me put it out there for all to read. If Richard Branson sat at your table with a sports jacket and an open collar shirt, would that be an Apalling gesture for all ?? Funny thing is, his outfit would of cost 10 times what your little tux did. Again for those we missed it. Its not the outfit that makes the person , Its the person who makes the outfit. some people need to bring there noses down from the moon and smell the grass.

P.S. Also, i have done business with Richard, and let me tell you, he's a class act. He doesn't let people dictate how or what he's going to wear. Enjoy your Roll Call.

So am I to interpret this to mean that you think if you have a lot of money you therefore can do and dress however you want? I am sure Mr Branson has enough sense to dress to match the occasion and has enough respect for other people to wear the dress code as stipulated. If he or anyone else didn't I would find that very disrespectful no matter how much money they had. People I have met from both high and low ends of the economy make the effort to dress appropriately so we should show them the same respect.

Frantic36,

I loved Baychilla's photo of Richard Branson who shows that he knows how to dress to suit the occasion starting with his lipstick in Virgin Atlantic's brand color.

And I also appreciate the simplicity and underlying balance and fairness in your remark. It's clear: respect the standards set out by the ship's officers and your other passengers by adhering to the suggested dress code. Nothing to "think about" as someone else suggested was all that was interfering in other people agreeing with his particular opinion. And my mother in law would agree with you too, bless her soul. Well done.

Happy sailing!

Frantic36,

I loved Baychilla's photo of Richard Branson who shows that he knows how to dress to suit the occasion starting with his lipstick in Virgin Atlantic's brand color.

And I also appreciate the simplicity and underlying balance and fairness in your remark. It's clear: respect the standards set out by the ship's officers and your other passengers by adhering to the suggested dress code. Nothing to "think about" as someone else suggested was all that was interfering in other people agreeing with his particular opinion. And my mother in law would agree with you too, bless her soul. Well done.

Happy sailing!

The lipstick really isn't the best shade for him though;)

I do rather object to pater 15's' worn out blazer'. There is one rule - wear a jacket on formal optional nights. The rest is up to you.

Sadly there are just as few renegades who like to get away with bending the rules, such as wearing a leather blouson type jacket with a tee shirt underneath, which makes life difficult for the Maitre'd, but they are rare. Most who do not wish to wear a DJ or suit look perfectly fine IMO in a sports coat or decent blazer, preferably with a tie though this is not obligatory. And their ladies generally do not wear full evening dress, more cocktail wear, so they look perfectly good together.