Formal Nights for Men

dafne

Please do what makes you comfortable to have a great cruise. We enjoy a little dressing up, we don't get to do it here in Singapore, if you have a tux, bring it, you won't be the only one, and you will get a very nice table in the restaurant.

.......on the other hand we attend so many formal business functions sometimes we are glad to see the back of tuxedos and evening dresses.

If we are onboard for 3-4 weeks we do bring formalwear.

If we book a last minute 7-10 day cruise for a short relaxing break eg Mediterranean, then we tend to leave the formal attire at home and just bring elegant casual outfits as we just want to chill out, most of the time eating outdoors enjoying great weather.

I was quite surprised to read rols' comment about being given a 'bad' table if you weren't smartly enough dressed. On shorter cruises my DH does take only jacket, white shirt and tie nowadays, (plus trousers I hasten to add) and we always get the sort of table we like.

I was quite surprised to read rols' comment about being given a 'bad' table if you weren't smartly enough dressed. On shorter cruises my DH does take only jacket, white shirt and tie nowadays, (plus trousers I hasten to add) and we always get the sort of table we like.

If I had to hazard a guess it would be the trainers that got the man sentenced to the Siberia of the restaurant.

I guess I have a different idea of what makes a gentleman. And it's not a tuxedo.

I have never flown economy to a cruise and I never will but I still don't want to carry extra weight. Ultimately I wear what makes me comfortable, not others. If others prefer a tuxedo that's fine. When Seabourn basically required them I always conformed. But nowadays they do not. Just look at the brochures today compared with ten years ago when the models all wore formal wear. Today it's all casual.

I guess I have a different idea of what makes a gentleman. And it's not a tuxedo.

I have never flown economy to a cruise and I never will but I still don't want to carry extra weight. Ultimately I wear what makes me comfortable, not others. If others prefer a tuxedo that's fine. When Seabourn basically required them I always conformed. But nowadays they do not. Just look at the brochures today compared with ten years ago when the models all wore formal wear. Today it's all casual.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a picture of a hideous tuxedo yet.

I am afraid that the well dressed chaps who wear their DJ's on formal optional night are now probably the exception rather than the rule, and this is how it will stay. I understand the principle, that if ladies are in eveningy outfits the gents should complement them, but the newer generation will in time make the wearing of DJ's more unusual.

True, one sees very few long gowns, maybe on Mrs.Luxury and a few others, but the majority are in what you might call cocktail dresses, or velvet or silk trousers with perhaps a sparkly top - my choice for comfort and looking reasonably OK.

If a lady is willing too compromise and look "reasonably okay" then a gentleman can as well and that is what a dark suit or blazer accomplishes.

Yes, wripro, I like to think I usually look a bit better than just reasonably OK, but being a Brit do not like to blow my own trumpet. ;)

We had a classic conversation when we got home.

several times during the cruise we were all…ooohhhh really don't feel like changing for dinner (note IRD wasn't an option with 3 in a suite)

when we got home and on night 2 it was prepare, cook and clean. The attitude was … dressing up is soooo much easier :)

But that wasn't what I said. I said wear one and you'll get a very nice table, by which I mostly meant company. The first formal night we were with some delightful people on a hosted table, the second formal night the maitre'd found us some more similarly attired people to sit with and again their company was super.

Our cruise is 12 nights and I was a little surprised to find out today that only 2 nights are formal. We love black tie, but will have to assess whether it is silly to bring a tux for 1 night.

I have sailed from Bali to Sydney on Odyssey once and noticed that just about every man was wearing tux on formal night in the restaurant. I am going to be on Sojourn for longer cruise next time and will be wearing tux on every formal night as I always do on any cruise liners (no matter how long the cruise was). You can always go to patio grill or buffet as an other option if you do not want to pack and wear them.

orangenemo - yes, you can go to the Colonnade or patio grill on formal optional nights, but the point of this thread was to let the OP know that you are not obliged to, but can dine in the main dining room provided the man is wearing a jacket.

A gentleman arrived at the restaurant, he did have a jacket over his rather eloquent shirt and his trousers did cover all the way down to his trainers. Certainly obeyed the letter of the law and ended up on table 1 by the kitchen.

I admit I was surprised by the post as well. If I saw or experienced this situation a quick (one sided) discussion with the maître d' would occur.

It is the maître d's responsibility to enforce with discretion the dress code and possibly assisting a guest by providing a jacket. It is not their responsibility to somehow rank the guest's dress or appearance and sit them accordingly

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by sfocruiser

It is the maître d's responsibility to enforce with discretion the dress code and possibly assisting a guest by providing a jacket. It is not their responsibility to somehow rank the guest's dress or appearance and sit them accordingly

no,but us good looking well dressed types do tend to get the best tables at restaurants;)

no,but us good looking well dressed types do tend to get the best tables at restaurants;)

With our Seabourn scenario I would agree, for the first night. If there is no substance behind the suit, then I doubt if the maître d' would make the same mistake twice.

Regardless I think we would agree that proper dress enhances the evening, but if a guest chooses not to fully embrace the dress code they shouldn't be relegated to the Seabourn Siberia table.

But that wasn't what I said. I said wear one and you'll get a very nice table, by which I mostly meant company. The first formal night we were with some delightful people on a hosted table, the second formal night the maitre'd found us some more similarly attired people to sit with and again their company was super.

Then what was the issue with the individual in trainers but otherwise a nice suit who was relegated to near the kitchen?

That raises the question of what is a bad table? ;)

As usual,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My dislikes are tables that are very near to the flow of service from the kitchen and tables that are near to toilet entrances I also do not like tables for two that adjoin a wall.

I like a table where I can see most of the restaurant.

On a ship my wife will never sit at a table next to a window for dinner because it is usualy slightly colder and there is not much of a view at night when at sea.

As usual,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My dislikes are tables that are very near to the flow of service from the kitchen and tables that are near to toilet entrances I also do not like tables for two that adjoin a wall.

I like a table where I can see most of the restaurant.

On a ship my wife will never sit at a table next to a window for dinner because it is usualy slightly colder and there is not much of a view at night when at sea.

I've noticed that my husband is never entirely comfortable during a meal if he's sitting with his back to the main entrance.

At least there are two blessings with regard to Seabourn tables for two - they are always available (or sometimes a very brief wait) and secondly they are large enough.

rols - your post no. 25 did suggest to me that the badly dressed man was put in a corner, at what was apparently a 'bad' table in terms of position in the room, rather that to do with 'company'. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Yes it was a careless post, I mixed the good company we enjoyed on formal nights with what I thought was a rather marginal interpretation of acceptable on a different night.

What I wrote was not clear and your interpretation was entirely reasonable. It wasn't what I meant at all. I apologise.