No Pizza on Maasdam

sunnygidget

The pizza on the Nieuw Amsterdam was absolutely horrible. So bad in fact, that a pool deck with several hundred people partying all day and night on the blues cruise hardly touched any. Seriously. I don't know why they serve such a poor excuse for a pizza.

Yep, the pizza is much better on Princess.

Just got off the 11 Maasdam cruise. Here's what we were told as to why they were unable to serve pizza on that particular cruise. On the Maasdam, and I guess all the other "S" Class ships, the pizza oven and the hamburger/hotdog grill are in the same small area. With the new burger "dive in" menu that was being initiated during our cruise, they were unable to use the pizza oven due to space constrictions. The pizza oven was going to be moved for the next voyage, but for the duration of our 11 day cruise, they were unable to make pizza. Then to make matters worse, the new "dive in" was closed for a day or two for repair because something happened to the grill. While the grill was down, they did serve the new burger menu at the sandwich station in the Lido, but not too many people were aware of that. We were not impressed with the new burgers. We much prefer the previous one; but others seemed to like it.

Just got off the 11 Maasdam cruise. Here's what we were told as to why they were unable to serve pizza on that particular cruise. On the Maasdam, and I guess all the other "S" Class ships, the pizza oven and the hamburger/hotdog grill are in the same small area. With the new burger "dive in" menu that was being initiated during our cruise, they were unable to use the pizza oven due to space constrictions. The pizza oven was going to be moved for the next voyage, but for the duration of our 11 day cruise, they were unable to make pizza. Then to make matters worse, the new "dive in" was closed for a day or two for repair because something happened to the grill. While the grill was down, they did serve the new burger menu at the sandwich station in the Lido, but not too many people were aware of that. We were not impressed with the new burgers. We much prefer the previous one; but others seemed to like it.

Thanks very much for your report. Good to hear more background behind the "no pizza, no hamburger" situation!

Can you describe the new burgers? Any land based establishments that would be comparable?

Thanks for clearing up the issue. Just goes to prove "ship" happens.

I know -- that's why I asked.

I also checked Carnival. The ships that have Guy's Burger Joint don't charge.

I hope this is not a case of get them hooked on it then add a surcharge? We used to go to Canaletto and even though the food was just ok we did love the antipasti and the fact that it was free. We don't go anymore. The burgers are so good and a great fix for us for an early dinner if we don't want to stay out late. We go to bed very early. :) Let's hope they keep it free.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks very much for your report. Good to hear more background behind the "no pizza, no hamburger" situation!

Can you describe the new burgers? Any land based establishments that would be comparable?

Well, I didn't find it even close to Five Guys, as some have reported back. Truthfully, I like a very simple good quality burger, lettuce tomato, mayo, and no cheese. I had problems trying to get just a basic burger, as it seemed no matter what you ordered or how you ordered, you got the burger with their special sauce and a slice of cheese. But in time, I'm sure they'll work through those problems. There were many high ranking officers observing and talking with the passengers, as well as the chef with the BIG hat. LOL!!

Although I didn't try them, the hotdogs and French fries looked VERY good; and there was more variety than usual. Judging by the line waiting to order, I think HAL might have a winner, once the kinks are worked out.

Well, I didn't find it even close to Five Guys, as some have reported back. Truthfully, I like a very simple good quality burger, lettuce tomato, mayo, and no cheese. I had problems trying to get just a basic burger, as it seemed no matter what you ordered or how you ordered, you got the burger with their special sauce and a slice of cheese. But in time, I'm sure they'll work through those problems. There were many high ranking officers observing and talking with the passengers, as well as the chef with the BIG hat. LOL!!

Although I didn't try them, the hotdogs and French fries looked VERY good; and there was more variety than usual. Judging by the line waiting to order, I think HAL might have a winner, once the kinks are worked out.

Thanks very much! I am with you, I prefer simple burgers. I can't stand burgers that are piled with so much stuff they are too fat to eat, or dripping all over the place.

Nice to know they are carefully watching the new concept.