Adventure of the Sea Review 2/2-2/9

Just back from AOS and we had a great week! I will try to give a review but it may take a few days.

Getting on the ship was very easy. We flew into San Juan Sunday around 2 and took a taxi to the pier. There were no lines, so we went through the check in and showed our documents and got our sail and sign cards. After that we went to the little shop they have and bought wine to take on board. Since we had already been cleared we bought 3 bottles and took them on board, no one said anything to us. Also they did not even check our carry on bags.

Once on board we went to the Windjammer for lunch while we waited for our luggage to be delivered. Food was ok, next time we know to go instead to deck 5 the cafe Promenade. The food there was much better. Great sandwiches, pizza and pastries.

Our room was on deck 8 Promenade Staterooms overlooking the promanade. It was kinda cool to look out but we did not do it much. Our room was nice and plenty of room for the two of us. We had a little trouble getting one of our suitcases and had to go to deck one to pick it up. I had brought my hair dryer and they held the suitcase since hairdryers are not allowed! I did get to keep it but had to use the ships hair dryer and not my own.

For dinner we were in the Strauss Dining room at a table of 8 near the windows. Our table mates were very nice and we had a great time with them. Our waiter and bus boy were fantastic. We thought the food was very good in the dining room and especially liked the filet (the second night), the crab cake, the shrimp cocktail, Seafood mash, Chicken Marsala, and the Strip Steak. All the salads were very good and the deserts were fantastic!

St. Thomas- We took a cab to Megans Bay. We usually go to Sapphire beach but since there were no chairs and bathrooms decided on Megans. The beach was packed! It is a beautiful beach but it was wall to wall people. We stayed about 4 hours and then headed back to the cruise pier. We went to Senior Frogs(outside Cruise Terminal) had a few drinks and Nachos then went shopping. It was a really fun day but not sure if I would go to Megans Bay again. Too crowded for us.

more tomorrow

I had brought my hair dryer and they held the suitcase since hairdryers are not allowed! I did get to keep it but had to use the ships hair dryer and not my own.

more tomorrow

Since when are hairdryers not allowed? I have taken my own hairdryer on every cruise I have ever been on, including many out of San Juan on Serenade and one on Princess and never have had an issue with taking a blow dryer. Just took one a week ago out of FLL again. Is this specific to Adventure for some reason??

Looking forward to your review as we are going on Adventure next April after she goes to refurb.

Edited by karena1

Our next stop was St. Kitts. Here we booked a tour with Perreira tours using Liz Perreira. She was great. We did an all day Catamaran tour of Nevis. It was fantastic. Liz met us at the pier as soon as we docked and brought us over to the Catamaran. There were about 20 of us total ,we were the only ones from the ship, the rest were hotel guests.

We sailed over to a great snorkling place(all snorkle equip. is included in price) and snorkled for about an hour and a half. They also had floats for those who did not want to snorkle. It was great. Then we had lunch and sailed off to Nevis . Nevis was great. We had 3 plus hours on the beach with beach toys, chairs, umbrellas and snorkle equipment. Also there was open bar all day and lunch jncluded.

The people on the boat were great and we had a GREAT day. Would highly recommend this to all.

We found days at Sea a little boring compared to other ships we have been on. First they did not really play any Caribbean style music. The music was mostly "latin" which did not appeal to us. We were looking for the Jimmy Buffet Caribbean music you usually hear on cruise ships. Also the waiters serving the drinks were BORING! There were really no fun and games except a few lame pool games.

It was very easy to get chairs so that was no problem at all on our sailing. We talked to a lot of people who felt the same way, there needed to be more to do on at sea days. Also the Mercedes the cruise director was very nice and worked hard but she was very difficult to understand. English was not her first language and we did not understand much of what she said most of the time.

The shows are night we also found to be lacking. We had the late seating so most of the shows were at 7pm. We did not get in from most ports until around 5-6 so it was difficult to make a 7pm show. The ice show was very good we saw that at 4pm the last sea day(bring sweater it is cold), the quest show was very, very funny and the newlywed game was probably the best show we saw. Other than that the shows were just ok. The comedian was horrible. He was not prepared and he was just awful. There was also a singer and he was boring.

We also went to a trivia game that was 15 minutes long!! Waste of time.

I will post more on later on our other ports and rest of trip.

Do you know how many ships were in port with you in St Thomas? I'll be on AOS in a few weeks and we're one ship of only three in port that day. We're planning on going to Megan's Bay for a few hours but we're not going to go early; probably around 10 or 10:30.

Do you know how many ships were in port with you in St Thomas? I'll be on AOS in a few weeks and we're one ship of only three in port that day. We're planning on going to Megan's Bay for a few hours but we're not going to go early; probably around 10 or 10:30.

click this link: http://ships.cruisett.com/

you can check what other ships are in port the same days as you and the estimated numbers of pax.

Was there any "theme" nights like Island night or Western night? Need to make sure I pack appropriately.

There really weren't any theme nights that required dressing differently (like White night). The current CD seems to be quite fond of nightly dance parties. You might want to brace yourself for the 70's disco party. Its held on the Promenade, so it was really hard to avoid.

We were on the same cruise as the OP, and I have to agree with the mediocre caliber of the stage entertainment. With a couple of exceptions, we were disappointed.

OP, I had no problem bringing my travel hair drier on board.

Aruba- We loved Aruba. We shopped all morning and got some great buys on jewlery. Effie jewlery was really good! We then went to Palm beach for the afternoon where we rented chairs and umbrellas.(20 total for 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas). Water was clear and beautiful and beach was not too crowded.

Later we stopped at Iguana Joes for drinks and a little more shopping before heading back on ship. Great day in Aruba.

Curacao- We took the taxi to Ponte St. Mari(25pp RT). Love this beach. A little rocky when you first get in but beautiful. They have showers and changing facilities. Also chairs and umbrellas ($5) to rent. Spent most of the day there and then went into town to shop before getting back on ship. We shopped right outside of ship in little cafe for apps and drinks.

Thoughts: Food in dining room was very good most of the time. Our waiter and bus boy were fantastic. The shows were not that great at all. They need more late night shows and comedians. Boring on shows!

Music needs to be Caribbean!!!! on the decks during sea days and also the sea days need to be more fun with things to do.

Would we go back to RC, not so sure. We loved the ports but other cruise lines have the same ports and offer so much more.