Upgrades? Price drops?

First Time PR

Chances of upgrades have become very slim due to the reclassification of cabins last year.

Price drops may or may not happen, depending on how the cruise sells.. Sorry, it is difficult to predict. Just check regularly and call your TA or Princrss when you do see one.

Congratulations on your honeymoon!

How often do upgrades occur on Alaska cruises? Or price drops?

We are booked on a balcony room on Golden Princess for June 14, 2014.

Any chance of getting a surprise upgrade...it's our honeymoon

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's hard to predict because it's dependent upon how bookings are going. A couple of years ago on an early June cruise to Alaska I noticed that a week before sailing there were many available balcony cabins. We were in an oceanview cabin & had our TA ask about an upgrade. To our surprise we were upgrade to the top category of balcony cabin on Caribe deck with the larger balcony.

If there are price reductions have your booking source request it for you. Sometimes when I'm not eligible for a price reduction, Princess has given us a higher category of cabin. Although sometimes "upgrades" for some will be to a less desirable location.

For those of us who regularly sail Princess they already have us returning to sail with them so not too many great upgrades. I've read of those on their 1st Princess cruise who get great upgrades because they probably want to generate new passenger loyalty. I'd contact your booking source & have them make a note that it'll be your honeymoon.

Hopefully you'll get a good upgrade for your honeymoon Alaskan cruise. :)

Upgrades are possible but more likely, if there is a lot of inventory, Princess will have a sale for new bookings only. Many schools are out by mid-June so these cruises do fill up. I just checked and this cruise is already on sale and a number of categories sold out.

June is a popular time, your best bet is to watch the price and the available cabins and categories, especially around final payment time. I've kept stats about over 200 upgrades and the general consensus is, all things being equal, your likelyhood to get a meta upgrade (from balcony to minisuite) is about a 1 in 7 chance. Now keep in mind this really depends on the cabin category in which you are booked, whether you booked a gty or not, and how well cabins in your category are selling opposed to ones above you. Say you booked a BC cabin and were hoping to get a minisuite, ME, if you are gonna get an upgrade its likely to a BB cabin, maybe a BA cabin. A minisuite would be next but if the minisuites are selling well, they would rather fill those cabins with passengers that are paying the premium rather than someone who paid for a balcony room. Take some time, maybe keep a little spreadsheet if you are really interested and keep track of the categories, the price, and the cabins available if you are this interested in it. You'll begin to see a pattern. On top of that, why a cruise line upgrades 1 party in a cabin instead of the party in the cabin next door, especially if they paid the same price, is the mystery. Minisuites are tough to get upgraded to unless you are booked BA. Most ships in the fleet are 2/3rds balcony cabins or more. Much easier to go from OV to balcony.

Want an upgrade? Pay for it and surprise your soon to be spouse if you can afford it.

How often do upgrades occur on Alaska cruises? Or price drops?

We are booked on a balcony room on Golden Princess for June 14, 2014.

Any chance of getting a surprise upgrade...it's our honeymoon

There will probably be quite a few people on their honey moon on your cruise so I would not anticipate an upgrade.

We ran into a few couples last week on their honey moon. One couple in particular got me . She was so disappointed the cruise line did not do anything for them . I went to guest services and gave them the cabin number . I ordered a bottle of Champagne and sent it to their cabin.

Saw her later in the cruise she was so happy, they put up balloons sent a tray of strawberry's and my Champagne arrived chilled with glasses, very festive she said.

I wish you all the best on your up coming wedding

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

There will probably be quite a few people on their honey moon on your cruise so I would not anticipate an upgrade.

We ran into a few couples last week on their honey moon. One couple in particular got me . She was so disappointed the cruise line did not do anything for them . I went to guest services and gave them the cabin number . I ordered a bottle of Champagne and sent it to their cabin.

Saw her later in the cruise she was so happy, they put up balloons sent a tray of strawberry's and my Champagne arrived chilled with glasses, very festive she said.

Reader

So sweet of you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on cat BB cabin A 408...is this a good cabin? I believe it's Aloha deck...

I would request that your travel agent change you to a cabin that has cabins above and below it. Lido deck is above you and in that area it could be noisy for you .

Good luck

Reader

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to ask her.

We celebrated our honeymoon in December on the Ruby Princess. I remember when there used to be special get-togethers for honeymooners--cheap champagne and a toast from the captain or other officer--but Princess doesn't hold them anymore. We received the balloons outside our cabin.

We celebrated our honeymoon in December on the Ruby Princess. I remember when there used to be special get-togethers for honeymooners--cheap champagne and a toast from the captain or other officer--but Princess doesn't hold them anymore. We received the balloons outside our cabin.

Hope you had fun in your honeymoon!

Reader

That was just so thoughtful of you. I was thinking how my take away from the conversation would have been 'she's so entitled.' But I'm so glad to have read your response, and am so glad not everyone is like me - you completely changed the couple's trip (as well as my day today!).

That was just so thoughtful of you. I was thinking how my take away from the conversation would have been 'she's so entitled.' But I'm so glad to have read your response, and am so glad not everyone is like me - you completely changed the couple's trip (as well as my day today!).

I apologize if in anyway I came off as entitled. It's just this is all new to me since I've only been in 1 cruise (roundtrip from Puerto Rico where I live). Reading here about price drops and upgrades made me curious but I don't think I'm entitled to them just because it's out honeymoon.

I apologize if in anyway I came off as entitled. It's just this is all new to me since I've only been in 1 cruise (roundtrip from Puerto Rico where I live). Reading here about price drops and upgrades made me curious but I don't think I'm entitled to them just because it's out honeymoon.

Hi! I clearly wrote my message poorly - I had no intention of calling you entitled AT ALL. I was only remarking on how very nice a different poster was to pay/send champagne to a couple they heard being disappointed (while said honeymooners were ON their cruise already).

I think it's smart to watch and inquire about price drops, upgrades, etc.

Sorry for my inept writing!

Amanda Believe me you do not get much over on me ;) I am so sick of the entitled, while I work double shifts to afford to cruise.

This Kid was a new Bride who was just disappointed, She will face many Disapointments in life ...but not on her Honey moon!!! lol

P:S I am like you:p

Reader