Cell Phone as Alarm Clock

SrTrPro

I plan to have my Verizon Android Smart Phone with me on the March 6th PC cruise on the Century. I do not plan to use internet service on board - will wait for port days (Wi-Fi) to check email - so I will have "data" turned off to preclude any high priced data roaming charges.

If I have the phone in "airplane mode" will the time be continually correct so that I can use the alarm function. No daylight to wake us up in an inside cabin.

In the past, I have not had texting enabled, however under our new plan (cheaper than the old one), I will have unlimited texting. Verizon "international texting" rates are $.50 send and $.05 receive.

Again, if I have phone in airplane mode, I would assume that texting will not come thru. However, I would assume that if I take it out of airplane mode, I could send and receive texts at the rates stated above. Is there any additional charge from Celebrity for texting? Does it work "at sea"?

As you can see from the above, I am somewhat "Smart Phone" challenged as well as age and follically (sp) challenged.

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

I plan to have my Verizon Android Smart Phone with me on the March 6th PC cruise on the Century. I do not plan to use internet service on board - will wait for port days (Wi-Fi) to check email - so I will have "data" turned off to preclude any high priced data roaming charges.

If I have the phone in "airplane mode" will the time be continually correct so that I can use the alarm function. No daylight to wake us up in an inside cabin.

In the past, I have not had texting enabled, however under our new plan (cheaper than the old one), I will have unlimited texting. Verizon "international texting" rates are $.50 send and $.05 receive.

Again, if I have phone in airplane mode, I would assume that texting will not come thru. However, I would assume that if I take it out of airplane mode, I could send and receive texts at the rates stated above. Is there any additional charge from Celebrity for texting? Does it work "at sea"?

As you can see from the above, I am somewhat "Smart Phone" challenged as well as age and follically (sp) challenged.

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

All you have to do is make sure that your roaming data is turned off.

With this done you will not incur any data charges, but your phone will still be able to send and receive text messages and phone calls.

We also have Verizon services, I have an Iphone and my husband has the Droid Razr Maxx and we both used texting to stay in touch at home on our last two cruises.

You do not get charged extra by Celebrity to use texting on your phone.

The prices you quote sound right and when we returned home I believe our cell bill was around $20 more.

Texting is a great and inexpensive way to keep in touch.

Call Verizon and have them talk you through turning off roaming data, or do a web search for your particular phone and you'll easily find the info

When we cruise we also use our cell phones as alarm clocks. We always turn off the automatic time changes on the phone (every one I've seen has a place to do this) and manually changed the time when required.

Just remember to turn it back to automatic when your cruise ends.

Edited by Lsimon

I'd also recommend turning off the "set automatically" feature of your date/time settings. The cell provider may provide a time that is different than that kept by the ship. I heard stories on my last cruise of passengers missing the ship as they were going by the time on their cell phones which was different than that kept by the ship. This way, you manually set the time for your phone to correspond to the time on the ship.

But for an alarm clock, it is better to use the ship's telephone wake up call which will be on ship time regardless of your actual geographic location.

That way there is no concern about the "correct" time setting.

Edited by varoo

But for an alarm clock, it is better to use the ship's telephone wake up call which will be on ship time regardless of your actual geographic location.

Ditto this and on the inside we usually turn the TV on to the ship's bow cam station with the volume muted. Sun comes up and the light gradually brightens the room. I too am so smart phone challenged that I just turn it off and stow it till I get back. :0)

On the Century, if you sync to the ship cell provider for time/date, you'll get GMT which will mess up any alarms. You'll need to keep the time/date in manual. This will work if you are just using the phone roaming and text messages.

I use verizon with an iphone... text messages were .05/ea to receive and .50/ea to send. Check your plan before leaving to confirm the prices, since your plan may be different.

We did this on a recent cruise, but the phone had switched to Atlantic time (1 hr ahead) and we didn't know so when we returned to Fort Lauderdale we overslept and had to rush to get out of the room. We had data off and texting on but didn't know about the manual setting. Live and learn and pass it on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've seen this damage a million times. Roaming fees, data charges, missed excursions, missed the boat..

Ship time, local time & changing time zones always confuses people.

You'll be on vacation... Unplug & put it in the safe!! Use a travel Alarm clock or a $20 Timex from Target with an alarm. We have a travel alarm clock with white noise sound machine plus use the ship phone for a wake up call.

Edited by Pack My Bags

We use my smart phone as an alarm on all our trips. We manually adjust the date and time, and turn the thing OFF for roaming, data and texts. We turn it on for incoming calls the day before departure ( which turned out to be very wise when they closed the Atlanta airport two weeks ago, and we were stuck in Rome for an extra day)

BEFORE you leave home, Download one of the many free alarm apps. No need to be connected to WiFi when you use them.

I've also installed one of the free flashlight apps on my smartphone. Very very helpful in dark hotel rooms and inside cabins.

It's very easy to set a wake up call on the cabin telephone.

+1 to this comment. I despise the automated wake up call systems at hotels, but the phone system for wake up calls on Celebrity is so easy to do, and it gives you a verbal confirmation of your setting.

I use my mobile phone alarm clock at the pool. Richard

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

Verizon just anounced changes to all their plans. They are including unlimited international messaging. Your plan should include this.

Dave

If you have texts enabled and you are cruising in a different time zone you may receive texts in the middle of the night which will wake you up.

I too would vote for a travel alarm clock one with a light that can be activated so you can see it in the dark.

Ship time, local time & changing time zones always confuses people.

You'll be on vacation... Unplug & put it in the safe!! Use a travel Alarm clock or a $20 Timex from Target with an alarm.

I totally agree with you: the phone goes in the safe, the slim travel alarm (which will light up when I touch it) comes out of the suitcase. (I also happen to have a Timex Expedition that has an alarm and also lets you set the time for two different time zones, which I love for travel as one zone always stays on home time. It was $25 the last time I bought it at, yes, Target. :) )

Verizon just anounced changes to all their plans. They are including unlimited international messaging. Your plan should include this.

Dave

I received the email from Verizon today. However, I did not get the impression that existing plans received an upgrade to the MORE. :confused: I thought it was for new contracts, only. I recently upgraded my phone to the iPhone. I would love to have the international texting (is that the same as messaging?) thrown in. :)

Right on! It's always worked for us,& easy to set.

We have also had trouble with the wake up call "system" not working on a cruise, and also in hotels. Maybe it was us that did that did the wrong thing, but we don't trust them. I normally travel with a small travel alarm. On an upcoming land trip, we are having to take less because we are packing all in a carry-on. I need to use my cell as an alarm.;)

We have also had trouble with the wake up call "system" not working on a cruise, and also in hotels. Maybe it was us that did that did the wrong thing, but we don't trust them. I normally travel with a small travel alarm. On an upcoming land trip, we are having to take less because we are packing all in a carry-on. I need to use my cell as an alarm.;)
I trust the ship's telephone wake-up call more than a battery powered travel alarm where the battery may run down, plus having the nuisance of needing to reset the time myself to get it in sync with current ship time.

With a cell phone, I also need to bother checking and possibly resetting the time because the ship's time may not be in synch with the actual current time zone.

Depending on the routing a ship takes, it is possible for it to cross back and forth between time zones without any resetting of the ship's time occurring, as sometimes happens when a ship is traveling in the area between Eastern time and Atlantic time.

Besides, the ship's "official" time change usually does not coincide with the actual time when the ship crosses time zones.

The result is that devices that adapt to time zone changes automatically reset themselves at the "wrong" time.

But if you don't trust the ship's telephone wake up call, an easy solution is just to order early morning room service, even if only a cup of coffee.

That way you have the security of the room service wake-up call in addition to the wake-up call you set yourself.

I suppose someone who is really paranoid could also set wrist watch alarm and computer wake-up calls in addition to the cabin telephone, cell phone, alarm clock and room service calls. You could ask a friend or family member in another cabin to call you too for good measure.

Imagine waking up in the morning to the first wake up call or buzz of the day and not knowing which device it is that you need to answer or turn off. ;)

Or, ignore all this newfangled technology and simply bring along a rooster, although I supposed you would need to have it classified as a service animal, which should not be difficult considering that it will actually be performing a service for you. :D

Edited by fleckle

When we cruise we also use our cell phones as alarm clocks. We always turn off the automatic time changes on the phone (every one I've seen has a place to do this) and manually changed the time when required.

Just remember to turn it back to automatic when your cruise ends.

This is the reason I love Cruise Critic! You are always learning new tips. I have had some wonky times come up on my cell phone when I was cruising so I never counted on it to give the correct time.

Every time I cruise I call my cell phone carrier (Verizon) and they confirm everything is set up on the back end for using it internationally. They also send me information about fees that can be incurred if you do not turn off your data which is specific to the ship I will be cruising on. BUT they have never told me about being able to override my clock.

...But if you don't trust the ship's telephone wake up call, an easy solution is just to order early morning room service, even if only a cup of coffee....

The very best wake up call on a ship is the one that says" "Good Morning! Your room service order is on its way."

Celebrity always calls a few minutes before delivery for morning breakfast orders.

Beyond that I guess the answer to this relatively simple question will depend on one's preferences, how much stuff one likes packing (travel alarm), and if one is willing and able to educate themselves a little about their smart phone's operation (cell phone clock alarm). We used to bring a travel alarm but in recent years have just used our iPhone - but do turn off automatic time updating when the cruise starts and check for the proper time whenever we're setting the alarm. For reason's I can't explain, I don't like using the wake up call system on the ship but that is just me.

Edited by Lsimon