Is October too cold??

Is October too cold for Greece and/or Dubrovnik?? We might want to swim, etc. and worried we should do September instead. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

October is perfect for sightseeing ... temps are cooler than the scorching summer heat & you have the bonus of less crowded venues. Might be a little cool for swimming. :)

I have found October great for sightseeing too, but I think that for Croatia September would be much better if you want any type of water activity. In Greece weather might be more favorable for water activities in October but I still would go for September if that was a priority. Also October can bring more stormy, unpredictable weather in the Med! We got in some really stormy bad seas off of Spain a few years ago in October. I would go for September!

• 3 weeks later...

We got married in Santorini on 10th October 2005. It was a gorgeous, warm sunny day. The rest of our time in the Greek Islands was perfect - I wore mainly t-shirts, shorts and a cardigan when the sea breeze got a bit cool.

Our E. Med and Black Sea cruise on the Constellation started on 25 Sept. While in the E. Med, Athens, Mykonos and Ephesus, the temps were in the high 70s or low 80s. Once we entered the Black Sea, a huge and unusual cold front hit us and temps were in the 50s (we were told in Odessa that the weather was more like what they have in January).

I was in Santorini on 25 September last year and it was HOT! So hot that I did not enjoy my day all that much. I would do an Eastern Med cruise in mid October after that experience.

However, I did not go swimming, so I do not know about the water temperature.

Blue Elephant

October in the Med is very different to September. Not only is it the time of year when the weather starts to change, but resort areas (like Santorini) start to close down for the end of the season. If I had the choice between September and October, it's a no brainer, September every time.

Agree with London Towner - October is very different to September. The sea can be much choppier and it is the start of the rainy season. The days are also shorter and you can't get out on deck as much as it gets darker so much earlier especially towards the end of Oct. swimming can certainly be dodgy. However, it's possible you might be lucky.

It can be so variable in October. We have combined cruise and land trips twice in October. I mid October a few years ago we spent a week in and around Antalya, Turkey. On one day it was so warm that we could not stay on the beach. Low 30's.

You will find that on the Greek islands they are tired of tourists by October. I think you get a better attitude at the start of the season when pensions/hotels are starting to open-right after Greek Easter.

We are now just planning a 6-8 week trip to Malta, Greece, and Turkey. And if we get the opportunity of a great deal on a last minute cruise in the Med or Black Sea we will grab it. Any excuse to go thru Istanbul is a great excuse for us.

Edited by iancal