Champagne Surprise planning

cruise_bunnies

Well, my champagne surprise went off with only a little hitch :)

I bought the bottle only a few days before leaving and told Mr. Cruise_bunny I'd get us a bottle. He asked 4 times what I had selected. After running out of new and different ways of saying: "Something special/What does it matter" I caved. I can't really lie. I told him to take a sneak peak and he was delighted.

Embarkation started earlier due to the heat, so nobody was there to tag the bottle so i just took it with me. When we went for lunch, I handed it over to a wine attendant with instruction that we'd love to have it chilled. I had to leave the table, because she wanted to unwrap the bottle, which was a no no. My parents didn't see :D

Everybody was tired first day, so we didn't drink it. First sea day/Formal night my mom was ill (sea sick), so we didn't drink it. But we did the third night although it was almost spoiled when the wine attendant asked me if it was a white or red wine. I said white, not realizing that she'd have to look all over for it then (dumb, sorry wine attendant!) and she figured out that I meant the champagne.

My mom was delighted that I brought her favourite :) My dad isn't much of a drinker but he liked it.

Thank you all for helping me.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Sparkling wines and champagnes should never go into checked luggage when you fly and you are not allowed to bring them onto the plane in your carry-ons.

Had a friend who flew with a bottle of champagne -- it did explode and wrecked clothes.

Pets that travel in cargo holds don't freeze to death or die due to loss of air pressure so I suspsect champagne bottles are fine and that your friend's bottle just broke and did not explode. :)

Edited by Boytjie

And while we are in 'update' mode, I actually confirmed with the airline I was flying with that champagne is ok to put in checked luggage.

So...that is what I did...both to Hawaii, and home again:) I was careful to triple wrap in towels/absorbent materials, and placed all in several zip locks, just in case there was any trouble. Everything arrived just fine, but probably the only time I'll do it.

Glad the OP had a good time:)

And while we are in 'update' mode, I actually confirmed with the airline I was flying with that champagne is ok to put in checked luggage.

So...that is what I did...both to Hawaii, and home again:) I was careful to triple wrap in towels/absorbent materials, and placed all in several zip locks, just in case there was any trouble. Everything arrived just fine, but probably the only time I'll do it.

Glad the OP had a good time:)

Both ways? Same bottle???:confused:

Both ways? Same bottle???:confused:

haha...no, but I can see by what I wrote that I implied I took same bottle, both ways. Didn't make a very good estimate of the amount we might consume, and too frugal to leave it behind!

Edited by Jo-Bob

When I got onboard the Veendam a few weeks ago, I was directed to the alcool table, where the gentleman asked to see the bottle. It was well wrapped so after a few seconds of trying to get it un wrapped , he could see the neck, saw it was champagne and just asked for the name, that I think he wrote down.

As for the surprise part, I would just go by myself during the day to the dining room with the bottle and explain. I'm hoping they would help you out .

If you mom does not have a special cork to save her champagne , you can get the one you get engraved and also give it to her as a souvenir of the cruise .

Edited by Sailingpeace

Glad it worked out well for you. Thanks for coming back and saying so.

Did you all polish it off in one sitting???

Yes, they polished it off in one sitting. I had half a glass to join in the fun, but still don't like champagne, hahaha.

The cruise was v. good and I hope to have time to post a review this week. Thank you all for asking.

Sailingpeace, I think you missed my update and only read the first post, thank you for your experience, but we already had our cruise.

cruise_bunnies.