Is Carnival Training Employees right?

ToAdam12

If the OP is trying to suggest that this is characteristic of bad safety training and an increased danger of fires on Carnival ships, this single video as well as the entirety of reported fire incidents are statistically insignificant. They are probably a lot lower than the number of similar incidents occurring within two-three-five-six-seven-or-eight days of any of the routine lives of the millions of people who cruise.

This thread seems foil-hat territory to me, frankly.

I don't even think that this is a joke. My husband was aboard an aircraft that lost 144 men due to a fire. I recently did the transatlantic cruise on the sunshine when at 4:30 am the fire alarm went off. And I pressed the crew to see what was going on. So I don't take this lightly. I was the only one that dressed to talk to the crew, that's how serious I took it.

Really...when did that alarm go off on the Sunshine TA? I was on that cruise...musta slept better than I thought...I don't recall that alarm.

I was working at a pizza place up in MI a few years back the owner came up k me and said feel of the electrical panel. So I did it was hot I was about to take the cover off and do a amp check when he broke out the water hose and said this is how I cool it down... Sprayed water all over it... Sometimes you can't fix stupid. ... FYI pure water is not a true conductor of electricity just all the iron and minerals in it that are..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...Just curious. Why is the OP assuming this took place on a Carnival ship? Maybe I missed it. Anyone see any Carnival logos or markings anywhere? From what I saw, nothing on the seats, walls, furniture or uniforms that would indicate that this took place on a Carnival vessel. This could have been any ship from any company in the world.

...Oh wait... I see now. The person who put this video on YouTube... is a lawyer! Once a little research is done, you will find out that this person makes a living suing cruise lines and Carnival in particular.

...Yes, fire at sea is very serious. First responder probably could have handled it better. Fire protection crew came in right behind him and did their job properly. Problem solved. To whatever ship this crew belonged to... job well done.

There was no mythical air line pilot it was a value jet crash.

With all due respect, but educate yourself! :mad: Valujet 592 was a horrific accident caused NOT by the incompetence or lack of training of the pilots or other crewmembers, but by the reckless disregard for safety of a third party company that improperly packaged and labeled dangerous goods and then loaded them in the belly of an airplane, which then burned within minutes.

Sabretech, the company that packaged these dangerous goods was found solely responsible for the accident and charged with 110 counts of manslaughter. It was the first company to be criminally prosecuted for an airplane crash in the US.

Your comparison is off track and insulting to the memory of the crew that did everything they could to get that airplane back on the ground as soon as possible. This crew reacted heroically and quickly. Unfortunately, they were doomed and nothing could be done. There was NOTHING that could be attributed to the actions of the pilots and there was no training that could've changed the outcome. They paid dearly for the mistakes of someone else.

If you're going to use a "pilot error" example, there are plenty out there, but NOT this one. Using poor examples like this one to argue your case only make you look ignorant and takes even more credibility away from an already off-track thread.

Edited by Tapi

...Just curious. Why is the OP assuming this took place on a Carnival ship? Maybe I missed it.

According to the notes on the video, this was aboard the Carnival Pride, when a window broke at Camp Carnival

According to the notes on the video, this was aboard the Carnival Pride, when a window broke at Camp Carnival

...I saw that Tapi, but the commentary was put there by the lawyer who post the video. It may have been correct and actually took place on the Pride, but I would think there would have been some kind of Carnival logos in the room, or at least some text imposed on the video from the security camera.

Really...when did that alarm go off on the Sunshine TA? I was on that cruise...musta slept better than I thought...I don't recall that alarm.

The crew said just a portion of cabins on deck 2. I think it was just before rome port. The captain sent letters to about 8 cabins since electricians cut a wire and the alarms went off in our rooms and all of the fire doors shut. One of the girls checked and the doors were closed up to the lido. It didn't affect the whole ship.

The crew said just a portion of cabins on deck 2. I think it was just before rome port. The captain sent letters to about 8 cabins since electricians cut a wire and the alarms went off in our rooms and all of the fire doors shut. One of the girls checked and the doors were closed up to the lido. It didn't affect the whole ship.

Hmmmm....thanks for that info but if you meant "just before Rome port" was before the Sunshine stopped in Rome, well we didn't stop in Rome on the Sunshine Transatlantic Cruise last November....that could explain why I didn't hear the alarm!!!

What should bother everyone is the fact that it was over 8 minutes into this video before anyone found the fire. for crying out loud. Didn't they know a window was broken for over 8 minutes? No telling how long it was broken before the video started.

I absolutely DO NO trust the crew would know what to do in case of emergency on a ship. That said, I pay very close attention to what I should do. I have much more confidence in myself and other passengers in an emergency.

Each time I get in my car and drive or fly to another city I take a risk that an accident will happen. Humans will never be infallible and no matter how much training they receive, until they are faced with an emergency situation they will never know exactly how they will react. I will continue to take my chances driving, flying and even cruising.

Hmmmm....thanks for that info but if you meant "just before Rome port" was before the Sunshine stopped in Rome, well we didn't stop in Rome on the Sunshine Transatlantic Cruise last November....that could explain why I didn't hear the alarm!!!

Sorry for my mistake- it was a loooong 28 days for us. This happened on the Mediterranean portion of our cruise. What a fantastic cruise, from Venice to New Orleans. Hoping carnival will do europe again.

Sorry for my mistake- it was a loooong 28 days for us. This happened on the Mediterranean portion of our cruise. What a fantastic cruise, from Venice to New Orleans. Hoping carnival will do europe again.

Yea...I kinda figured a euro itinerary mighta been mixed in with the TA. We chatted with folks the year before on the Breeze TA and then more folks on Sunshine TA, all of whom had done the last Euro itinerary before the TA for what sounded like and awesome B2B...we were so envious that we didn't do em

both!! Yea we hope Carnival will return to Europe also.

What should bother everyone is the fact that it was over 8 minutes into this video before anyone found the fire. for crying out loud. Didn't they know a window was broken for over 8 minutes? No telling how long it was broken before the video started.

I absolutely DO NO trust the crew would know what to do in case of emergency on a ship. That said, I pay very close attention to what I should do. I have much more confidence in myself and other passengers in an emergency.

Do you think they have window breakage sensors on every window? Does not bother me in the least. The video shows they do know what to do. The whole point is they do their job whether you trust them or not. Anyone who thinks passengers (or themselves) know more of what to do in emergency than the crew is either over confident or ill informed.

Do you think they have window breakage sensors on every window? Does not bother me in the least. The video shows they do know what to do. The whole point is they do their job whether you trust them or not. Anyone who thinks passengers (or themselves) know more of what to do in emergency than the crew is either over confident or ill informed.

Obviously the first guy there DID NOT know what to do. Throw water on an electrical fire....REALLY????? Thats knowing what to do? And yes I do have more confidence in myself. Lots of the crew do not speak English so what help would they be?

How someone can watch a video posted by someone to cheap to pay for the full version and having to watch the "trial version" splash is beyond me.

I skipped through it.

But at the end of the day, I think you are making a mountain of a mole hill in a way. But more power to your dedication!!!

Edited by MickCruiser

Obviously the first guy there DID NOT know what to do. Throw water on an electrical fire....REALLY????? Thats knowing what to do? And yes I do have more confidence in myself. Lots of the crew do not speak English so what help would they be?

I have been on 25 Carnival cruises and NEVER met an employee who did not speak English. So your basing your estimated worth of what safety training on cruise ships have on the first guy? Did you watch the rest of the video? How long was it before someone else responded (obviously he did the best thing and reported it first)? I stand by my comment that people who think they know more than experts know much less than they think they do, in fact during a real emergency their actions significantly detract from true safety measures going, frequently further endangering themselves, other cruisers and employees by their actions. One last thought, where did you go through your fire training?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If the OP is trying to suggest that this is characteristic of bad safety training and an increased danger of fires on Carnival ships, this single video as well as the entirety of reported fire incidents are statistically insignificant. They are probably a lot lower than the number of similar incidents occurring within two-three-five-six-seven-or-eight days of any of the routine lives of the millions of people who cruise.

This thread seems foil-hat territory to me, frankly.

Lol at tinfoil hat!

I would say that the guy throwing water on the flames isn't very bright, but I don't think that is reason to jump to any conclusions of greater implications. The important thing is that passengers obviously were not present in the area, and the crew extinguished the flames before the fire spread.