Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

Regarding the "pen issue" (no more pens), I'd much rather not have an RCI provided pen than have what happened to me on my last Celebrity cruise...

12 night cruise, in Europe, in Aqua Class, the morning of the last day of the cruise while making up the cabins the cabin steward collected the pens from every cabin, so we were all pen-less through disembarkation.

It was widely viewed as a rather transparent effort to make sure nobody steals their pens, and wow was that tacky / unexpected at the end of a long, expensive cruise in Europe on Celebrity! I couldn't believe it!

Back to RCI, in all honesty, who cares. I always have my own pens with me when I travel and there's PLENTY of paper to write on... think of all the sales crap they shove into the Cruise Compass every day. I've never had trouble using the backs of those sales solicitations to write a note to the cabin steward if necessary. Just my $.02.

I think the response would have been quite different if the OP and created a list of why he likes sailing with RCI while pointing out his disappointment with the booking policy.

Today things were pretty hectic in the office I had a new patient that was very sarcastic and rude when I walked into the room because he had been waiting a bit. And believe me we try very hard to run on time but the weather here has created havoc with getting people in. I simply was not in the mood for the attitude and told him that since he was clearly unhappy with me and I was most clearly unhappy with his attitude that he needed to find a new doctor. And that was the end of that. Sometimes it is better to just cut someone loose.

and maybe this patient had a lot of crap going on in his life, that you couldn't fathom, and getting to your office was a hardship, and waiting a "a bit" was a really long time to him. sad all around.

I could care less if my cabin (JS) has a sofabed or not...it's the location and availibility at the time I book..being told I can't book that cabin because it has a sofa bed :eek::eek:...Is this what the new policy means :confused:

So book the one next door without the sofa bed. Very few hump cabins have a sofa bed so there is plenty of availability, and if they do, there's one next door without one.

There are more serious issues to whine about.

I think you right about that, but it also puts me in mind of Carnival's Faster to the Fun program, which was/is (don't even know if they still do it) an extra charge of $50 for the stateroom which allowed earlier boarding and a special phone number if you had problems and one or two more things. Perhaps there is a middle ground somewhere for big cruise lines with respect to these little extras and perqs and not just the broader stateroom categories. Food for thought.

Hey, it's summer time, and lots of families are cruising. So they're trying to accommodate them by keeping the 3 & 4 person cabins open.

I really don't see what the big deal is. It helps keep prices low for everyone. No one is denied getting a hump or aft cabin, as there are plenty of those without a sofabed.

Hey, it's summer time, and lots of families are cruising. So they're trying to accommodate them by keeping the 3 & 4 person cabins open.

I really don't see what the big deal is. It helps keep prices low for everyone. No one is denied getting a hump or aft cabin, as there are plenty of those without a sofabed.

Wait, is this new policy restricted to summer sailings or were you just making a point?

I'm still trying to make sense of the policy in the absence of any kind of formal announcement by RCI.

As a consumer, we get annoyed and write an email. There was nothing false about the email. Sometimes it is better to sit on it for a day though, and think about how you could phrase it better before sending it off.

You know those "non-answers" you get to an email question? And it comes from an email that says, "Please do not reply to this email...this email box is not monitored"

I've sent some really scathing replies to their non-responses. ;) Fine. Don't read my reply, I have a little of my frustration out.:D

So book the one next door without the sofa bed. Very few hump cabins have a sofa bed so there is plenty of availability, and if they do, there's one next door without one.

There are more serious issues to whine about.

"Whine" :confused:.....If there's one or two JS left (with sofa beds) and I want to book one and there's only two of us their going to say "no"...I don't care if it has a sofa bed or not...I think you misunderstood my post :confused:

I have several things come to mind when reading the original post.

-Intead of essentially saying "thanks for making us try other lines", you probably should have made a suggestion as to how they could improve their new policy.

-Adam's email does not come across as professional. It sounds almost rude. Not good. That being said, you did come across frivolous.

-Hes probably going to have to change his email because of all of the emails he gets flooded with from minor complaints and suggestions from the CC community (I'm not saying this about you, just in general. I see his email address posted in response to just about everything on here). There's a customer service hierarchy for a reason, not every correspondence needs to go to the CEO.

does anyone really think Mr. Goldstein is actually reading your emails?

Wait, is this new policy restricted to summer sailings or were you just making a point?

I'm still trying to make sense of the policy in the absence of any kind of formal announcement by RCI.

I was just able to make a mock booking for Sept and July and I was able to select a D1 for only 2 passengers in Sept but not July. I have not seen anything "official" but I think it is coming from what others are experiencing during the summer bookings. I for one and on the side that I do not agree with this change. I feel that you should be able to book any cabin that may be available at that given time. I understand that it is all about the all mighty dollar but it does snub the loyal customers that like the more premium locations with only 2 passengers in the room for 3 or 4.

I recently went on a back to back and on both parts of the trip the C&A component was around 20% of the passengers.

That is 80% of new travellers. They were happy, they brought their kids and still purchased the drink packages! (some cause and effect there maybe). We personally spent more on our first couple of trips in extras than the next lot of trips.

The cruise prices are very affordable these days. I know several people that have sailed inside 4 to a cabin 20 odd years ago and it is cheaper now to get a balcony. In dollars, not by comparing and taking into account inflation.

The loss of all those little extras are very annoying to some people, but the majority of customers are more impressed with the whole fantastic experience, and to be honest the diamond lounge can be painful if you get a few burnt out cruisers that are no longer enjoying the trip due to their niggling whining daily complaints. It can get you down.

I appreciate the OP sharing the information, but the response, while maybe a bit abrupt, was refreshingly honest. The original question of the booking change did get a little lost in the woods of the whole litany of issues.

I was looking forward to seeing what the new policy might be about, but when it comes down to it, it is probably frustrating for customers not to be able to book the nice roomy cabins for their family. I can see both sides here.

I hope they tighten the disabled/accessible cabin loopholes too, as we were disgusted last trip by very able bodied persons bragging about ticking the disabled box with their online TA more than a year ahead of time. Two doors down a disabled man was celebrating his first cruise (and 70th birthday) ever by having to crawl out of his wheelchair and be assisted through his door as he couldn't book the disabled cabins. You know what? He was still enjoying his trip. Loved it!

Edited by kjsmith63

seriously?

Yes, I seriously don't know what response he was looking for. He never made a request or asked a question. I honestly don't know what the point of the email was other than to complain and to announce he was changing lines. I think the response was unprofessional.

It is just capacity control. Hotels do the same thing....if they have a room that sleeps three, they are going to hold it back as long as possible (I'm thinking of Europe where rooms are sold as single, double, triple).

I like the snarky response :) it would have riled me up even more lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Anyway, Orville, I found your email a little antagonistic, and I suppose that might explain a slightly more defensive response. But I feel like he's got a point; this product is being differentiated from the companies other products (Celebrity, Azamara etc) If it's not for you anymore, then it's just not for you...there are many fish in the sea, but clearly, many economic experts have determined that this is the best way for the company to position their products for the market they want to engage, and remain profitable for stock holders.

On Valentines day, I'll make the analogy that this is a little like a romantic relationship where one lover keeps complaining about the failings of the other, but the other has no interest in making changes....it's time to face it: "He's just not into you";):p

Best post.

Let me break this down in simple laymen's terms.

The OP wrote to AG - SCREW YOU

AG responded back to the OP - SCREW YOU TOO

Yep, that's a succinct summary!

I found AG's response unprofessional but perhaps refreshingly frank. I haven't decided yet. OP's letter was hostile. It was a vent that should've been put away over night and re-read before sending. Assuming the OP's desired response was to effect a change to the new policy, the letter would have been better with a constructive tone.

I was just able to make a mock booking for Sept and July and I was able to select a D1 for only 2 passengers in Sept but not July. I have not seen anything "official" but I think it is coming from what others are experiencing during the summer bookings. I for one and on the side that I do not agree with this change. I feel that you should be able to book any cabin that may be available at that given time. I understand that it is all about the all mighty dollar but it does snub the loyal customers that like the more premium locations with only 2 passengers in the room for 3 or 4.

I did the same thing...using October and July. I am thinking if this is true that it applies to the summer months when most kids are on summer vacation in the United States. I had no problem with any room I chose in October but July ALL D1s were unavailable to me. This was for the Caribbean..didn't think to check other destinations..TA, Hawaii, Alaska etc..will try that next.

So the way I interpret his response he is not concerned about you leaving Royal. I agree with your email and we are also exploring other lines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Does "Adam" know that the staff begs people to give them excellent ratings because they feel their jobs depend on them?

Does he know that many of us do just that because we see the staff is being stretched thinner and thinner with more demands on them. The quality of the service has gone down, but not from a lack of effort on their parts, but from increased work loads. I would hate for someone to be demoted or get a poor job rating (and not be rehired) due to something that was beyond their control.

I agree with the op about the level of service, etc going downhill. We are already looking at other lines. I would love to have the "old" RCCL back, but I know it is not going to happen. It wouldn't make sense for them to compete with X. (or Princess since X competes at this level)

Maybe a bit off base here, and I understand the disapproval of cutbacks, but cruisers want all of these newer and larger ships with more features and amenities. Cruise lines have to pay for these ships somehow. A new Oasis class ship runs right around a billion dollars. Cruise lines are in business to make money. If we want everything the way it used to be, with the newest ships and all, then we will all have to pony up more money to cruise. Today's cruisers likely would not tolerate sailing on 30 year old ships as evidenced by recurring comments I read on these boards referring to a ship built 10 years ago as "old."

My first cruise was back in 1982 on the Carnivale. That ship was nearly 30 years old then but had a great time. It had NO bells or whistles. Most cruise ships sailing in those days, with the exception of RCCL and NCL had ships built in the 1950's. RCCL, NCL, and Princess ships were generally at least 10 to 12 years old, with a few exceptions.

Anyway, point is that cutbacks have to be made to build, staff, and maintain these ships to such high standards.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I must be the most undiscerning person ever. I enjoy the food and service at the main dining room, the ships are awesome, I'm good with the smoking policy, I like the itineraries,don't mind paying extra for specialty dinning or extra service ect..... and pens & paper....really. And please don't take this wrong but I don't know how you fit four people in one of those cabins. Five cruises with my wife, teenage daughter and myself in a Jr. Suite was enough for me. I wouldn't do more than two people in Jr. Suite. My wife was talking about taking her mother on a cruise with us, I told her "nothing less than an owners suite"

On my first cruise on the Carnivale, I was about 11 or 12 years old and went with both of my parents. We were all in this minuscule inside cabin of less than 100 square feet--that's how the older ships were built. The liners were designed as transportation, not as a vacation spot.

Anyway, since we are a family of 5, we would also like a larger cabin. Since we can't afford a suite for 5 (let alone for 2), we're going to book a family stateroom and see how well that works out. Granted we'll only have one bathroom, but the kids are too young to be trusted on their own cabin, so booking two is not really an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been thinking the same thing! I highly doubt it was him reading or replying!:rolleyes:

I would say it´s pretty obvious that it´s not his primary email account. It´s for sure an account monitored by a Team, but I´m sure he is taking a look into it as well and he will respond occasionally by himself.

In this case I even tend to say it was him responding, as I doubt one of his Team would have had the guts to write this answer. I rather tend to believe an answer like this comes right from the top.

It´s been said this was an unprofessional Response and I even might slightly agree, but even if it was I still applaud to him for sending it.It should be something every Company Needs to do once in a while.

I understand the OP comments. He did complement RC because he kept saying he stays loyal. I thought the email response was odd. Adam could have said some nicer things to encourage his customer.

Sure he could have said something nicer to encourage his customer, but from his repsonse it´s quite clear to me a) he didn´t want to and b) he is not considering the OP a valued customer anymore and does not care about their Business. So why on earth should he say anything nicer to encourage them?:confused:

His Point of view - You are not happy with us? Move on and make room for the many People who are happy with us! Demanding Folks like you are nothing but a PITA to me and I´d rather have less entitled customers than you I don´t need to waste my time on and deal with real complaints that help to improve my product.

Good Job AGicon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif