Galapagos cruise questions?

bloomcruisers

We booked a 2016 Xpedition Galapagos cruise while onboard Celebrity recently. The cruise is well over $20,000 for 2 of us with airfare yet to be added (USA to Equador and Peru back to USA). After looking over the paperwork I have a few questions to help me understand if I messed up.

The trip is advertised as all inclusive and includes pre and post cruise land segments. I was under the impression that meant everything included... all transportation between locations, daily excursions on the cruise, drinks on the cruise, gratuities, and the listed land tours. But it doesn't mention (and I didn't think to ask) about meals and drinks during the land segments. And as I look things over I see that the paperwork specifically lists gratuities as an added cost though I had understood that they were included. It also says they must be prepaid since I chose Select dining. Well, actually we were told that there is 1 seating for everyone and no dining selection gets made. So I am a bit confused.

1. Did I misunderstand about the gratuities or is my paperwork wrong? Are there dining choices I should have made? And are meals and drinks included during the pre/post cruise land tours?

2. Are there any additional discounts/perks usually available (from either Celebrity or a travel agent) for this cruise or is it truly unique as the cruise consultant onboard told us? I know it will fill; but does it fill at full brochure rates or should I be asking for additional perks?

I know I should have figured these issues out before booking but did it sort of spur of the moment with another couple and I am just trying to sort it out now.

I had never booked onboard before and since it is so far out I figure I can cancel if I find a lot of surprises as I research it.

This is a trip I would very much hope to complete so any insights from people who have booked/taken this cruise would be greatly appreciated. What else do I need to know that I haven't even thought of yet?

Thanks in advance.

We booked a 2016 Xpedition Galapagos cruise while onboard Celebrity recently. The cruise is well over $20,000 for 2 of us with airfare yet to be added (USA to Equador and Peru back to USA). After looking over the paperwork I have a few questions to help me understand if I messed up.

The trip is advertised as all inclusive and includes pre and post cruise land segments. I was under the impression that meant everything included... all transportation between locations, daily excursions on the cruise, drinks on the cruise, gratuities, and the listed land tours. But it doesn't mention (and I didn't think to ask) about meals and drinks during the land segments. And as I look things over I see that the paperwork specifically lists gratuities as an added cost though I had understood that they were included. It also says they must be prepaid since I chose Select dining. Well, actually we were told that there is 1 seating for everyone and no dining selection gets made. So I am a bit confused.

1. Did I misunderstand about the gratuities or is my paperwork wrong? Are there dining choices I should have made? And are meals and drinks included during the pre/post cruise land tours?

2. Are there any additional discounts/perks usually available (from either Celebrity or a travel agent) for this cruise or is it truly unique as the cruise consultant onboard told us? I know it will fill; but does it fill at full brochure rates or should I be asking for additional perks?

I know I should have figured these issues out before booking but did it sort of spur of the moment with another couple and I am just trying to sort it out now.

I had never booked onboard before and since it is so far out I figure I can cancel if I find a lot of surprises as I research it.

This is a trip I would very much hope to complete so any insights from people who have booked/taken this cruise would be greatly appreciated. What else do I need to know that I haven't even thought of yet?

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to go to this thread and ask your questions ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504555 ... this is part II of an extended thread and there are many people on it who will be happy to answer questions. We did the cruise with only the pre-extension in Quito. Everything was all inclusive once we joined Celebrity. Can't speak to the Peru extension.

Thanks in advance.

We also booked on board and came back a bit muddled. This link from a roll call was tremendously helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504555

I think you'll find that it is "all inclusive" less air. Transfers to the Quito Marriott, all meals and tours pre and post cruise, and all costs during cruise. We don't go til August 2015, so I am NO expert, but lots of folks on the linked thread are, and will have great answers to your questions. The thread is hundreds of pages long but is fascinating in its detail, and many folks have offered links to their photos and blogs. I am getting my money's worth from the enjoyment of the anticipation! Hope this helps, Linda

My recollection is that our TA said Celebrity doesn't allow them to discount the fare at all, and since the cruise is all-inclusive there's no point to OBC [coughcoughshegaveusadiscountonanothercruisecoughcough]

Edited by jazzbeau

thanks for the comments so far. I will go ahead and post this in the other thread as suggested by 2 of those who responded. I had looked at the roll call but thought I needed to post for a specific date. The informational thread looks great though it will apparently take me ages to read through it all.

could anyone confirm the gratuity issue. is it included in the cruise fare or added on? I guess I will have to call but would like to know what to expect.

No tipping required or expected but the service was so exceptional that i did tip naturalists,bartenders ,service personnel and maids on each of my four trips.

One of the bar maids was so grateful she actually cried and gave ME a gift of a pen and key chain when I was leaving...great people. Trip of a lifetime. I keep going back.

Hope Fernando,maitr'd is there for you...an amazing worker.

I went on the Xpedition this past October, the 10-night Cruisetour, which did not include Machu Picchu.

The trip is advertised as all inclusive and includes pre and post cruise land segments. I was under the impression that meant everything included... all transportation between locations, daily excursions on the cruise, drinks on the cruise, gratuities, and the listed land tours. Yes, totally!.

But it doesn't mention (and I didn't think to ask) about meals and drinks during the land segments. Yes - all breakfasts at the Quito hotel, lunch and dinner the first full day at restaurants in Quito, dinner at the Quito hotel on the last night after the cruise.

And as I look things over I see that the paperwork specifically lists gratuities as an added cost though I had understood that they were included.

From the Xpedition edocs:

"Gratuities

All onboard gratuities including those for the naturalist guides are

included in the price of your voyage."

It also says they must be prepaid since I chose Select dining. Well, actually we were told that there is 1 seating for everyone and no dining selection gets made. So I am a bit confused.

The website displays some info that does not apply to the Xpedition. Ignore it. No Select dining; breakfast and lunch aboard are buffet, dinner is served. No two-tops - all large tables. But you can always take your breakfast or lunch outside to eat at a table on deck by yourself.

1. Did I misunderstand about the gratuities or is my paperwork wrong? All gratuities are included. Are there dining choices I should have made? No. And are meals and drinks included during the pre/post cruise land tours? For the Quito pre/post land portions: Yes for meals. Conditional no for alcoholic drinks. I think the first full day dinner at Carmine Restaurant included house wine. I don't think the first day lunch in Old Town included alcohol. Non-alcoholic drinks were included. (The wonderful fresh fruit juices were included. Not sure about sodas.) Not sure about alcohol for the last night dinner at the hotel.

2. Are there any additional discounts/perks usually available (from either Celebrity or a travel agent) for this cruise or is it truly unique as the cruise consultant onboard told us? I know it will fill; but does it fill at full brochure rates or should I be asking for additional perks? If you book a suite (decks 5 or 6) or if you are a Captains Club Elite, then you get access to an Executive Lounge at the Quito hotel, stocked with snacks.

Thanks in advance.

Adding to my previous post...

A glass of house wine might have been included at Carmine Restaurant at dinner on the first full day, but I'm not sure.

For planning purposes, assume alcohol is not included in the Quito land portion.

When we went, we got the perk of executive lounge ( with wifi and great hosts) just for being Captains club,not elite.

We did too, even though it was only our second cruise with Celebrity. Our rooms were on the executive floor and we had access to the lounge for coffees and snacks and I seem to recall that we could have one beer or wine there.

The whole experience was amazing. Our flight was delayed because we had to turn back to Miami with engine problems, so we arrived in Quito about 2 am. The Celebrity rep was there to meet us, and arranged a later tour on a mini bus for the three couples on the delayed flight. We saw everything the main tour did without having to make an early start.

The trip was truly all inclusive, apart from drinks in the land portion. We got off the ship with a bill of $15 for a replacement hat for one that blew away. Everything else was included.

Sheila

We were recently given 800. In air credit by transferring to a TA, so we said yes. Our paperwork also listed gratuity charges. When I pointed it out to celebrity they were taken off.

is the travel agent a large online type? could I get a hint if it is? I am about to book this trip on my cruise in April....

If you don't drink then ask for an ice cream shake on the boat, the bar tender makes a mean one. There is a very small gift shop but nothing you'd really need an OBC for, it's really small, think broom closet. All gratuities are included and no more is expected. It is a truly grand experience anyone would surely love.

A suggestion...get aqua shoes for your wet landings.

Edited by cruzsnooze

thank you to all who replied. I appreciate the first hand experience.

I will go ahead and call to get the gratuity charge removed and check with a TA about getting something added (air credit or something off our Australia/NZ cruise which we have also just booked). It's good to know I won't have anything else to think about as far as expenses.

I will also be spending quite a bit of time going through the thousands of posts on the xpedition roll call board getting the stories from those who have returned from their trip. I'm glad I have almost 2 years to prepare.