Miami and Florida advice needed

hsaroya

Hi, my DH, DS (16) and DD (14) and I will be staying in Miami for a week after a cruise next Christmas. I have a number of questions I'm hoping to get some assistance with, please and thanks:

1. We (well, really the kids!) are wanting to stay close to the beach, preferably beach access from accommodations. Any advice about which areas/streets would be good for families, with restaurants in walking distance?

2. Would love to drive to Key West for a day trip. Is this possible? Keep in mind that I live on the Canadian prairies where a 6 hr round trip in one day during a raging snowstorm is not out of the norm!

3. Have rented a car for 6 nights. Is $180 a good deal for these parts or should I keep looking? I have a huge fear/paranoia over missing the toll stations. Should I get the weekly $37 sun pass from the rental place and is that the correct rate?

4. What are some absolute not to be missed places we should go to?

5. The whole family is addicted to American outlet shopping. Advice on outlets? I also don't mind driving back to Fort L. which is our port.

6. Great not to be missed restaurants? We love Mexican, Italian, great burgers.

7. With a car all week, is a trolley or bus hop on hop off tour worth it?

8. We are there over New Yrs. What is a great pace to ring it in? Are there outdoor family friendly parties, fireworks etc?

9. Are there theme parks with rides in the area? And, no, don't want to drive to Orlando.

Thank you! I may think of more ?? later....

Hi, my DH, DS (16) and DD (14) and I will be staying in Miami for a week after a cruise next Christmas. I have a number of questions I'm hoping to get some assistance with, please and thanks:

1. We (well, really the kids!) are wanting to stay close to the beach, preferably beach access from accommodations. Any advice about which areas/streets would be good for families, with restaurants in walking distance?Fort Lauderdale Beach would be great. What is your hotel budget? I think the best moderate hotel in the middle of it all on the Beach is the Courtyard Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach. Lauderdale-By-The-Sea is also great for families and the mom and pop motels there usually have kitchenettes. Go to http://www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings

2. Would love to drive to Key West for a day trip. Is this possible? Keep in mind that I live on the Canadian prairies where a 6 hr round trip in one day during a raging snowstorm is not out of the norm!At the very minimum it is going to be an eight hour trip just to get there and back. The drive is spectacular but tiring as most of it is two lanes. Yes, everyone should do this drive once.

3. Have rented a car for 6 nights. Is $180 a good deal for these parts or should I keep looking? I have a huge fear/paranoia over missing the toll stations. Should I get the weekly $37 sun pass from the rental place and is that the correct rate? Yes, get the Sun Pass.

4. What are some absolute not to be missed places we should go to? Water Taxi

5. The whole family is addicted to American outlet shopping. Advice on outlets? I also don't mind driving back to Fort L. which is our port.Sawgrass Mills. I'm not sure I understand, have you already decided to stay in Miami?

7. With a car all week, is a trolley or bus hop on hop off tour worth it? The Water Taxi is worth it.

8. We are there over New Yrs. What is a great pace to ring it in? Are there outdoor family friendly parties, fireworks etc?Downtown Fort Lauderdale has a huge party or Bayside in Miami and they also have fireworks

9. Are there theme parks with rides in the area? And, no, don't want to drive to Orlando.

Are you wanting to stay in Miami?

Are you wanting to stay in Miami?

I didn't realize Key West was a 4 hr one way trip! Yikes. However, given that we are actually in Florida for a week, this might be the best time to tackle it.

My son would love to take in a professional game - hockey would be a priority. What else during the New yrs week might be going on?

If you are nature lovers, you could spend a day at Everglades National Park http://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm. Winter is the best time to visit since it is the dry season and animals congregate around water holes. There are two areas within an easy drive of Miami (but not each other since they are different parts of the park):

• The Ernest Coe Visitors Center and the Royal Palm area. The latter has about a 1 mile sidewalk/boardwalk with nothing separating the visitors from the alligators (the alligators get priority!). Lots of birds, turtles and fish too and the park rangers give free talks and walks
  • Shark Valley area has a 15 mile paved road with a viewing tower that you can walk, bike (rental fee) or take a 2 hour tram ride (costs extra). Again, lots of wildlife and the only place I've seen baby alligators in the wild.

If you go to the Visitors Center and Royal Palm, make sure you stop at Robert Is Here fruit stand (you'll pass it in Florida City after leaving the highway en route to the visitors center) - their milkshakes are wonderful!

Enjoy your cruise and Florida vacation!

If you are nature lovers, you could spend a day at Everglades National Park http://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm. Winter is the best time to visit since it is the dry season and animals congregate around water holes. There are two areas within an easy drive of Miami (but not each other since they are different parts of the park):

• The Ernest Coe Visitors Center and the Royal Palm area. The latter has about a 1 mile sidewalk/boardwalk with nothing separating the visitors from the alligators (the alligators get priority!). Lots of birds, turtles and fish too and the park rangers give free talks and walks
  • Shark Valley area has a 15 mile paved road with a viewing tower that you can walk, bike (rental fee) or take a 2 hour tram ride (costs extra). Again, lots of wildlife and the only place I've seen baby alligators in the wild.

If you go to the Visitors Center and Royal Palm, make sure you stop at Robert Is Here fruit stand (you'll pass it in Florida City after leaving the highway en route to the visitors center) - their milkshakes are wonderful!

Enjoy your cruise and Florida vacation!

Thank you. The Visitors Center sounds great and my kids are definitely all about going on a quest for the best milkshake on the road!

1. We (well, really the kids!) are wanting to stay close to the beach, preferably beach access from accommodations. Any advice about which areas/streets would be good for families, with restaurants in walking distance?

2. Would love to drive to Key West for a day trip. Is this possible? Keep in mind that I live on the Canadian prairies where a 6 hr round trip in one day during a raging snowstorm is not out of the norm!

3. Have rented a car for 6 nights. Is $180 a good deal for these parts or should I keep looking? I have a huge fear/paranoia over missing the toll stations. Should I get the weekly $37 sun pass from the rental place and is that the correct rate?

4. What are some absolute not to be missed places we should go to?

5. The whole family is addicted to American outlet shopping. Advice on outlets? I also don't mind driving back to Fort L. which is our port.

7. With a car all week, is a trolley or bus hop on hop off tour worth it?

8. We are there over New Yrs. What is a great pace to ring it in? Are there outdoor family friendly parties, fireworks etc?

Geez, Louise you have a lot of questions.

My advice is you would be a lot better off staying in the Ft Lauderdale area than Miami. The hockey arena is in a suburb west of Ft Lauderdale as is Sawgrass Mills Mall.

There are far more beach hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area than Miami and they are far less expensive, but with a car you don't really need to stay on the beach in Ft Lauderdale. You will be paying a premium for something you won't use much if you plan on all these other activities. Anywhere you stay on the beach, whether it's Miami or Ft Lauderdale, you're going to be charged $20-$30 per night just for parking. You could stay a couple miles from the beach and pay less than half of what you will pay for a beachfront property, parking is free and there is plenty of public parking at Ft Lauderdale area beaches.

If you really want to go to Key West you would be better off spending one night in Key Largo, Marathon or a night or two in Key West. Half of the experience of Key West is the drive itself.

You should check out the 2 BR/2 BA Trio Suites at Hyatt House in Dania Beach. All rooms have full kitchens, sofa sleepers, breakfast and their parking is free. They're located less than two miles from the beach and there are plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood as well as a K-Mart in the Oakwood Plaza Mall across the street.

Edited by walty

Geez, Louise you have a lot of questions.

My advice is you would be a lot better off staying in the Ft Lauderdale area than Miami. The hockey arena is in a suburb west of Ft Lauderdale as is Sawgrass Mills Mall.

There are far more beach hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area than Miami and they are far less expensive, but with a car you don't really need to stay on the beach in Ft Lauderdale. You will be paying a premium for something you won't use much if you plan on all these other activities. Anywhere you stay on the beach, whether it's Miami or Ft Lauderdale, you're going to be charged $20-$30 per night just for parking. You could stay a couple miles from the beach and pay less than half of what you will pay for a beachfront property, parking is free and there is plenty of public parking at Ft Lauderdale area beaches.

If you really want to go to Key West you would be better off spending one night in Key Largo, Marathon or a night or two in Key West. Half of the experience of Key West is the drive itself.

You should check out the 2 BR/2 BA Trio Suites at Hyatt House in Dania Beach. All rooms have full kitchens, sofa sleepers, breakfast and their parking is free. They're located less than two miles from the beach and there are plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood as well as a K-Mart in the Oakwood Plaza Mall across the street.

Thanks, Walty. We've stayed in Fort L about 7 times pre cruise (and always at the La Quinta on the south end of Oakwood Plaza, so know that area well), but thought we'd give Miami a try; perhaps practicality and price point will win out yet again. The kids might have to forego their notion of life in the fast lane on South Beach!

Thanks, Walty. We've stayed in Fort L about 7 times pre cruise (and always at the La Quinta on the south end of Oakwood Plaza, so know that area well), but thought we'd give Miami a try; perhaps practicality and price point will win out yet again. The kids might have to forego their notion of life in the fast lane on South Beach!

You're staying during one of the highest peak times of the year and a beachfront property in Miami could cost you as much as $300-$500 per night. The W in South Beach is $1,266 per night for the week after Christmas. Then you have to pay for parking.

Most of your "wish list" is in Ft Lauderdale, so you're either going to have to prioritize and give some things up if you want to stay in Miami. Why you would want Miami over Ft Lauderdale for a week is beyond me unless you just have money to burn.

Edited by walty

Have you looked at the prices in Miami? We are staying there pre-cruise for our New Years Cruise. A lot of places are booked already and there isn't much for under $400 a night.

This past Christmas we stayed at the Ritz pre-cruise and it was a fabulous location but I don't think we will be staying there this year. Even downtown is 300-400 a night.

If you find a reasonable place please post it as I am still looking around.

Lincoln Road is where all the happenings in Miami are. The street is lined with restaurants and shops. We love that area.

Have you looked at the prices in Miami? We are staying there pre-cruise for our New Years Cruise. A lot of places are booked already and there isn't much for under $400 a night.

This past Christmas we stayed at the Ritz pre-cruise and it was a fabulous location but I don't think we will be staying there this year. Even downtown is 300-400 a night.

If you find a reasonable place please post it as I am still looking around.

Lincoln Road is where all the happenings in Miami are. The street is lined with restaurants and shops. We love that area.

As we're in the area for 6 nights, we've decided to go with a vacation rental by owner instead. We found a house in Fort L on one of the canals, 3 bdr, 2 bath, for $1200. As we have a friend travelling with us, she'll pay a small portion and we will still be waaay under what we'd be paying for the cheapest hotel in Fort L. for 6 nights. Having a kitchen and laundry will be great.

As we're in the area for 6 nights, we've decided to go with a vacation rental by owner instead. We found a house in Fort L on one of the canals, 3 bdr, 2 bath, for $1200. As we have a friend travelling with us, she'll pay a small portion and we will still be waaay under what we'd be paying for the cheapest hotel in Fort L. for 6 nights. Having a kitchen and laundry will be great.

That is probably the best idea, but be sure you account (or negotiate) for the cleaning charge which could be anywhere from $75-$150.

There are literally hundreds of canals in Broward County, some are navigable while others are nothing more than drainage ditches. If you tell me the area where the house is located I can tell you what it's like and what's near. Again, your time period is at the peak of peak season so I would be a bit skeptical of a house that is vacant during that period. It could be a great find or it could be in a sketchy neighborhood.

That is probably the best idea, but be sure you account (or negotiate) for the cleaning charge which could be anywhere from $75-$150.

There are literally hundreds of canals in Broward County, some are navigable while others are nothing more than drainage ditches. If you tell me the area where the house is located I can tell you what it's like and what's near. Again, your time period is at the peak of peak season so I would be a bit skeptical of a house that is vacant during that period. It could be a great find or it could be in a sketchy neighborhood.

Thanks, Walty. I would really appreciate your feedback, not knowing the area myself. It is on 23rd Terrace, a couple min west of 95 and immediately north of Marina Bay Dr. The pics show a lot of nice sized boats docked at neighbouring houses. It also comes with two kayaks to use, and the price includes the cleaning fee. It doesn't appear to be a mansion, but looks like a totally acceptable middle class environment. However, looks can be deceiving. Your thoughts?

Thanks, Walty. I would really appreciate your feedback, not knowing the area myself. It is on 23rd Terrace, a couple min west of 95 and immediately north of Marina Bay Dr. The pics show a lot of nice sized boats docked at neighbouring houses. It also comes with two kayaks to use, and the price includes the cleaning fee. It doesn't appear to be a mansion, but looks like a totally acceptable middle class environment. However, looks can be deceiving. Your thoughts?

That's a neighborhood between Davie Blvd. and SR 84/Marina Mile. It's a neighborhood of homes so there are no stores, shops or restaurants nearby, but it wouldn't take you long to get wherever you want to go from there by car. If you go to the link below and type in the exact address in the search function you will be able to zoom right onto the house with the satellite view and maybe even the street view.

Make sure you ask if that price includes sales tax as well.

https://maps.google.com/

Edited by walty

That's a neighborhood between Davie Blvd. and SR 84/Marina Mile. It's a neighborhood of homes so there are no stores, shops or restaurants nearby, but it wouldn't take you long to get wherever you want to go from there by car. If you go to the link below and type in the exact address in the search function you will be able to zoom right onto the house with the satellite view and maybe even the street view.

Make sure you ask if that price includes sales tax as well.

https://maps.google.com/

Thank you for your quick response. Based on it, I've made the final booking, and have a 100% refund if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. The tax is incl. Having the rental car was a big factor in going with a house in a residential area.

Thank you for your quick response. Based on it, I've made the final booking, and have a 100% refund if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. The tax is incl. Having the rental car was a big factor in going with a house in a residential area.

Groovy!

Now we need to work on your itinerary.

A Ft Lauderdale iconic restaurant is just a couple miles east on SR 84, Lester's Diner open 24/7.