On last day of cruise, what time does ship return

mamashenay

..to port of origin. We will be 1st time cruisers on the Carnival Valor.

Cruise is from Sunday December 28th to Sunday January 4th. Our departure and return port is San Juan Puerto Rico.

I need to plan airline flights. In getting to San Juan, I am assuming we should plan to get there a day before departure. How about when we get back to Puerto Rico, is it reasonable to assume you can fly home that day or do you book the flight for the next day.

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie question.

Cruise is from Sunday December 28th to Sunday January 4th. Our departure and return port is San Juan Puerto Rico.

I need to plan airline flights. In getting to San Juan, I am assuming we should plan to get there a day before departure. How about when we get back to Puerto Rico, is it reasonable to assume you can fly home that day or do you book the flight for the next day.

Most ships on most itineraries return to port between 5 and 6 AM to begin disembarkation by 7 or so. You will likely be off the ship by mid-morning so an early to mid-afternoon flight would be fine. No need to stay over that night unless you want to extend your vacation.

Also, your travel agent if you used one or the cruise line web site should be able to confirm your ship's itinerary which will show the times. If you are not readily finding that information just call the cruise line - they will confirm it for you.

The itinerary for your cruise has return scheduled for 7 am, so afternoon flights out should be fine.

Bear in mind that all things are subject to mishap. My husband and I sailed out of San Juan several years ago, and upon our return, we were preparing to debark at 830am when there was a medical emergency.

By the time the emergency was dealt with, and debarkations resumed, it was 130pm before my husband and I were able to leave the ship. Luckily for us we had planned to fly home the following day, so we didn't miss our flights. But I heard a lot of passengers frantically trying to rearrange their schedules!

Bear in mind that all things are subject to mishap. My husband and I sailed out of San Juan several years ago, and upon our return, we were preparing to debark at 830am when there was a medical emergency.

By the time the emergency was dealt with, and debarkations resumed, it was 130pm before my husband and I were able to leave the ship. Luckily for us we had planned to fly home the following day, so we didn't miss our flights. But I heard a lot of passengers frantically trying to rearrange their schedules!

Another good reason to buy travel insurance. Disclaimer-- I work for one of the major travel insurance companies;)!

Another thing to consider is if flights will possibly be cheaper if you wait until the next day, assuming you have the time to extend the vacation a bit. Even with a hotel and meals, you could come out ahead. A flight first thing in the morning will tend to be less expensive because demand is lower-- no cruise passengers, except those wise souls who waited an extra day.

Another good reason to buy travel insurance. Disclaimer-- I work for one of the major travel insurance companies;)!

Another thing to consider is if flights will possibly be cheaper if you wait until the next day, assuming you have the time to extend the vacation a bit. Even with a hotel and meals, you could come out ahead. A flight first thing in the morning will tend to be less expensive because demand is lower-- no cruise passengers, except those wise souls who waited an extra day.

Exactly our experience....the price of a hotel overnight, plus a couple of extra meals, added to the lower price of a morning flight, saved us about $100, and made a much more relaxed experience.

Same day is fine, but not before noon, San Juan airport has some of the longest check in lines I have ever been in. happy cruising.

Don't you still have to go through the AG check first?

Fly out mid-afternoon, take a cab, not a bus or van...........

Most ships on most itineraries return to port between 5 and 6 AM to begin disembarkation by 7 or so. You will likely be off the ship by mid-morning so an early to mid-afternoon flight would be fine. No need to stay over that night unless you want to extend your vacation.

Also, your travel agent if you used one or the cruise line web site should be able to confirm your ship's itinerary which will show the times. If you are not readily finding that information just call the cruise line - they will confirm it for you.

Thank you - much appreciated