Dole Plantation Tour after Pearl Harbor - how to get there?

Cinderellie

We are cruising on the Star Princess on March 5th, and will be in Honolulu for one day only. We are taking a Pearl Harbor tour in the morning, finishing at 1:30PM. We would like to visit the Dole plantation that afternoon. Questions are:

- How far is it from the cruise ship port?

- What is the best way to get there? We had NOT planned to rent a car. Is it a reasonable taxi ride? If a taxi ride is reasonable, are there taxis available at Dole?

- What would you suggest we see there? Train ride? Gardens? How long would we need?

Thanks for your advice.

In my opinion it would not be a "reasonable" taxi ride. It is a good distance from Pearl Harbor to the Dole Plantation. It is about a 30 min ride at least.

While it is different, I do not think it is a do not miss place. And not worth a cab fare either.

Many other close things to see and do for a cheaper cab ride from P/H area.

If you are there on March 5th, a Wed., there is the Aloha Flea Market at Aloha Stadium...till 3pm.

http://alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

Just my thoughts...

No. We are only there on Thursday, March 13th. Pearl Harbor is our first stop.

I wanted to see how pineapples grow, and taste a fresh one.

That night (the only evening we are in Hawaii,) we wanted a luau or wonderful food and Hawaiian music. Luaus are out because of the time and distance form the port. (We sail at 11:00 PM.) So we are going to dinner at Azure or House Without A Key. We wanted something in between.

Just a suggestion for Dole. You could take a bus (it's not fast about 2 hours each way). Or rent a car. Driving would take you maybe 30-40 minutes to get there. I'd say 2 hours there would be plenty to take in everything and even do a little shopping.

Also, there are a couple of Luaus in Honolulu (Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel) both do luaus that would maybe end around 9:00, getting you back to the ship in plenty of time for your departure.

Or you say you are doing a tour to Pearl Harbor, is that through the ship? They may offer a tour to Dole in the afternoon that you could combine the two.

My first trip to Oahu I did tours. My 4 trips since I've had a car and driven around myself. Sometimes getting lost or having to back track, but it's been fun to see things off the beaten path.

Only you know your comfort zone and what is a good idea for you. Have a great trip, I love Hawaii, just wish it was closer to California.:D

Try the Hale Koa Luau, it's on thurs and next door to the HHV. The Dole Plantation is ok if you're in the area, but I wouldn't list it as a must see. Its quite a ways past PH and would be at least 2hrs on the bus. Personally I wouldn't try to fit both in with the limited time you have in port, if you also want to do a luau.

Hale Koa luau is for military personnel only. We wrote to them… TWICE. New rules. They only service servicemen.

That's OK. We are taking the advice of Cruz'n Couple here and making reservations for House Without a Key for a romantic dinner and wonderful music, then back to the ship at our leisure.

Thank you all for your responses.

Try the Hale Koa Luau, it's on thurs and next door to the HHV. The Dole Plantation is ok if you're in the area, but I wouldn't list it as a must see. Its quite a ways past PH and would be at least 2hrs on the bus. Personally I wouldn't try to fit both in with the limited time you have in port, if you also want to do a luau.

the Hale Koa is for authorized DoD personnel only it is NOT open to the public. including the luau.

if you really want to see the Plantation, rent a car. I'd do it just to get some Dole Whip without having to go to Disney. the koi pond IS awesome but you can get fresh pineapple anywhere on the island.