Any benefit of a balcony on a trans Atlantic?

papcx

Hi all.

As the title says, is there any use to a balcony on a trans Atlantic cruise.

I'm looking at the Allure, Barcelona to Miami in Oct 2015.

I know the weather won't be great, but are you still able to use a balcony?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by papcx

I enjoyed the fresh air and sounds of the waves in the stateroom, and often left the balcony door open whenever I was in the cabin - including overnight. I did an Eastbound transatlantic in April, and there were several times that the balcony was pleasant enough to sit on to read, but I primarily used it as an open window rather than space to use.

A westbound trans-Atlantic, Barcelona to Miami in October will be in warm water (well over 70 degrees) all the way. The air temps will be close to 80 during the day - Summer lasts in the Atlantic. If you book a port side, the balcony will be sunny all day, every day. We are booking our third T/A from Rome sailing early November, and looking forward to it.

we took a similar itenerary in October 2012 and spent many afternoons on our balcony reading or playing cards. The weather was very mild on that cruise except when we hit the remnants of Sandy.

As the other poster noted we would leave the door open at night as well.

I had a balcony from the Mediterranean and rarely used the balcony going across the Atlantic. It was rather rainy around the Canary Islands too. The ship is going at quite a clip and between the sea spray and the cold, I had few opportunities to use it and the ocean was calm according to the captain. I didn't really enjoy the balcony until we were close to the Caribbean.

I had a balcony from the Mediterranean and rarely used the balcony going across the Atlantic. It was rather rainy around the Canary Islands too. The ship is going at quite a clip and between the sea spray and the cold, I had few opportunities to use it and the ocean was calm according to the captain. I didn't really enjoy the balcony until we were close to the Caribbean.

We were on Mariner, Rome to Galveston in 2012, and enjoyed our balcony most days. It was in November, so not as warm as the October crossing OP is talking about. Was your's on starboard side? It makes a difference.

I'm doing my first TA in April and actually never considered "not" having a balcony. I guess I could have saved some $$$ but on a 16 night trip, I wanted the experience.

Of course an eastbound in April is different - the Atlantic will not have warmed that much from the winter, still if you're going from Florida to the Mediterranean, it should be OK - hope you booked on the starboard (sunny) side.

Hi all.

As the title says, is there any use to a balcony on a trans Atlantic cruise.

I'm looking at the Allure, Barcelona to Miami in Oct 2015.

I know the weather won't be great, but are you still able to use a balcony?

Thanks in advance.

Just booked the same cruise and got a portside balcony, have done west bound TA"S in the past with portside balcony's and it has always been warm enough to sit out and enjoy cocktails. Don't book starboard as you will never see the sun. hope to see you aboard..happy cruising

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, we were also on that sailing with a portside balcony and used it almost everyday. But I do remember sitting out there one day while it was drizzling. happy cruising..

We had an aft balcony on our last TA on the Ruby Princess (Barcelona to FLL in December) and used it everyday, rain or shine. It was mostly sheltered and no matter how hard the wind blew or rained, most of it stayed nice and dry. Sometimes, I did need to throw on a sweater, but it was nice to sit out there and read or do the homework from my night school class on the laptop.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, we were also on that sailing with a portside balcony and used it almost everyday. But I do remember sitting out there one day while it was drizzling. happy cruising..

Our port side balcony on that crossing was great - she must have had starboard; few people realize what a big difference being on the sunny side can make.

I did the Emerald Princess 16 day TA in Sept. 2013 (Denmark to NYC): mostly cool, some rain, high seas -- loved having a balcony!

Often my BFF & I didn't want to get dressed & go "out" -- just sit in the covered balcony, read, watch the sea & have a snack.

My next cruise is next Feb. RT to Hawaii. I'll be solo in an OV; it'll be hard NOT to have a balcony.:(

Our port side balcony on that crossing was great - she must have had starboard; few people realize what a big difference being on the sunny side can make.

You are right on 99% of the time. The one almost fatal flaw was when you thought JFK would remain open through Tuesday afternoon pre hurricane Sandy. Our flight was canceled Monday morning in San Diego, thanks to Choice air and help from above we managed to get out Tuesday and enjoy our pre paid non refundable hotel stay in Rome . happy cruising to you and yours..

We've done 4 TAs cruises and just booked our 5th (and oddly enough, we just booked the Allure for October 2015!)....and as silly as this sounds, my DH would not even bother to leave our home town if he didn't have a balcony (on any cruise, not just a TA).

My problem is a little different--I need to make sure he has a balcony large enough for a lounger--and make sure he can get one (lounger). This means booking a GS usually, but if it is far enough in advance, we can save up the extra $$ and have it paid before we go.

We have had amazing weather on our 4 of our TAs, although I like starting in Europe and ending in Florida much better than the opposite.

I hope you can pull it off!

Maybe we'll see you on the ship!

Dawn

You are right on 99% of the time. The one almost fatal flaw was when you thought JFK would remain open through Tuesday afternoon pre hurricane Sandy. Our flight was canceled Monday morning in San Diego, thanks to Choice air and help from above we managed to get out Tuesday and enjoy our pre paid non refundable hotel stay in Rome . happy cruising to you and yours..

Early that Sunday American Airlines called to advise our Monday flight was cancelled. After two hours hanging on the phone we got them to switch us to a Sunday evening flight on Iberia via Madrid - we packed in a rush and got to JFK, and got our flight late that evening - probably the last flight out. It was a hassle, but it got us an extra day in Rome.

I'm hoping nothing like that happens Oct. 28 when we fly to Rome again.

I'd like to also point out that the price difference between oceanviews and insides, on one hand, and balconies on the other, might not be as big, percentage- or per-night-wise, as it might be for other, non-transatlantic itineraries.

You might even end up paying about the same for a balcony room on a transatlantic cruise as you would pay for an inside or oceanview room on a similar-length, non-transatlantic cruise.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all.

Thanks for the great advice.

I took the plunge and booked today...........in a balcony!

Port side (great tip) can't wait.

That's great. I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.