how long does it take to tender

quoto

Does any one know how long it takes to get ashore via tender at Belize and Grand Caymans? New to this cruising lark going out on the 23rt March from Tampa. as try to determine what the earliest trip time we should look at.

The actual ride once the tender is full is 10-20 min in most cases

Getting on the tender depends on how many people on the ship that are going ashore & how the cruise line operates the system

some you have to go to the lounge & get a ticket then wait for your number to be called

Ask on the cruise line forum

Don't know if it is true or not, but I have read that at tender ports the passengers who have booked an excursion through the line get priority in the tender lines. I guess that makes sense. As for how long to get back...that will probably depend on how many people hit the dock to board the tender at the same time.

Don't know if it is true or not, but I have read that at tender ports the passengers who have booked an excursion through the line get priority in the tender lines. I guess that makes sense. As for how long to get back...that will probably depend on how many people hit the dock to board the tender at the same time.

True. And the tenders basically run continuously between the port and the ship and depart when full. The actual tender ride at Grand Cayman is more like 5 minutes or so between the ship and dock, but the boarding line and "wait to fill" time can be the difference mentioned. Obviously first and last tenders fill the fastest but also have the longest lines.

A lot also depends on how many ships are anchored for a port.

For example, one time there were 6 ships for Grand Cayman. It was a zoo. Some ships use the island's tenders which have priority to go from the ship to the tender pier. Other ships use their own tenders -- and have to wait their turn to dock. Grand Cayman has the North pier and the South pier and the newer Watler (?) pier. With 6 ships in that day -- we were on HAL and used our own tenders -- some people spent an hour bobbing on the tender waiting their turn to dock. Many missed private excursions.

Yes -- people who book excursions through the cruise line do have priority for the tenders to get them ashore -- the tour tickets will give the time and place they are to meet on the ship to get a tender to go ashore. People who want to go ashore to either meet up with a tour, or do whatever are told what time and place to meet on the ship and given numbers -- when those numbers are called, then they can proceed to the ship's tender gangway.

The primary variable is how close to the tender pier is the ship anchored. In Grand Cayman, it's just a few hundred yards. In Belize, the ship anchors 4 miles away due to the shallow water there. Bottom line, in GC the tender ride will likely be just a few minutes, while the ride in Belize might be 15-20 minutes.

Depends on what ship you're on and the docking schedules. We were on Azamara, docked and swam for an hour or so, then walked to Margaritaville for a beer and music. Walking back, a Celebrity ship had docked and had two doors open for pax to head off the ship.

I put my cane in front of me and leaned it and the mob parted enough that I wasn't knocked down.

Another reason NOT to take a big ship! I don't like mobs.

Also, the lines going back to the ships can be somewhat confusing when there are so many ships at the same port of call.

Make sure you get back in the correct line to get on your ship. It is easy to get in the wrong line.

Been there, done that! :o Fortunately, we discovered our mistake before we had been waiting in the wrong line for very long!

Edited by JimAOk1945