Just off the Ryndam…great entertainment!

janmcn

For those of you lucky enough to be going on the Ryndam in the next few weeks prior to their dry dock, you will find wonderful entertainment…the best overall that we've had on any HAL cruise. From the Piano Bar (David Anthony) and the guitarist (Terry) to the fabulous singers and dancers (saw 4 great different shows) they were all terrific (Adagio was very good we heard also).

The crew was wonderful…especially the Lido staff…with "Happy Harry" providing us with smiles and greetings each morning ("Coffee from Heaven.")

The dry dock is apparently for issues with the AC, etc….(Deck 8 was freezing)...we didn't see any problems with carpets, painting, etc. other than the usual. Overall we thought the ship was in very good shape and we had no problems with plumbing or AC. (Do take a sweater or wrap for the Pinnacle, Exploration Cafe, etc….they were all cold.)

Costa Maya (Mexico) was a surprise to us. They've made a wonderful port with beautiful pool, lounges, lots of shops (of course) plus Carlos 'n' Charlie's, and Señor Frog's. We did a private tour to Chacchoben Mayan Ruins which was worthwhile (The Native Choice…highly recommend).

We docked at 7, but were not cleared (both times) until 8:30…so plan ahead for your fights with that in mind. The airport was 20 min. away and is an excellent airport.

Have a great cruise on the Ryndam!

We, too, had a great time! Julie Barr, the comedian, was great, as well!

We had one of the best excursions we've ever had with Go With Gus... the Humanitarian Tour. It was incredible, one great thing after another. If you are going to Guatemala, I can't recommend it highly enough.

We had Erick with Native Choice, the Mayan Experience (where you go eat at the house of a local Mayan family). We were fortunate to go with Dianne and David, who we met from Cruise Critic. Also an excellent tour.

In Roatan we went with Victor Bodden, and had Joanie as a guide. She was hysterical! She took care of everything, from shuffling our belongings back and forth to the van while we snorkeled, to finding us a little roadside "cafe" to eat non-tourist food.

The AC problems seemed to be in some of the cabins on the 6th floor. We were there (in cabin 343) and ours were fine, so it wasn't the whole floor, or even one side. I'm sorry that I didn't get the specific cabins, so I could report on them.

I loved Happy Harry! I would guess that, on all my previous cruises, I have gone to breakfast no more than 2 times, but I dragged my butt out of bed and up the stairs to go see Happy Harry every single morning. He made me smile and was a great start to my day.

Dwepa was one of our waiters, and he was another shining star.

We had a very, very nice time, and I'm a bit sad to be home.

You all are making me feel even worse since Ryndam is one of our favorite ships and were to have sailed on her for 21 days this past Sunday.

Snow storms cancelled all flights and we could not make it.

Glad you all had a great time.

When we last on the Ryndam in 2012, we had the same situation where the ship took forever to be cleared in Tampa.

We will be on the Ryndam March 9 cruise. Did same tour with Gus in 2009 on the Ryndam, great tour! It will be our fourth cruise on the Ryndam. How much is Gus's tour? We are planning to do a tour with him again.

We booked directly with him, and it was $80 per person. I understand he does a similar one in Roatan, which I will take if we ever get back to Roatan (and I'd do the one in Guatemala again too!).

A lot of people booked through other venues, and apparently it wasn't clear they should bring supplies. If anyone takes this tour, please do bring supplies. These classrooms are struggling. They appreciate anything they can get.

Edited by WhansaMi
change of phrasing

Thank you for your reply. Indeed this is very true, the school is very grateful for any supplies. Last time Barbie dolls were also given out,you should have seen the girls running towards us to get one. They were so happy.

I agree with the Gus tour. We've been 3 times twice in Santo Tomas and once in Puerto Quetzal. I can't rave enough about him or his tours.

I just shake my head when people report in "That There's Nothing To Do In Santo Tomas,Just Some Trinkets For Sale At The Dock"

I also used Victor Bodden as well,and had a great day.

Glad you had such a good cruise:)

Edited by Wakepatrol

This is music to my ears.

On our Dec. 1 sailing, the main singers were forced to leave the ship for varying differences told by HAL. So, all the stage shows were cancelled. They attempted to bring in one-man acts, but it was not the same. There was very little to do in the evening with no shows. Going again on 3/2 so it will feel like a different cruise, only this time there will be entertainment in the Theater. That is part of the cruise experience. We made up for it last time by dining at PG and taking in afternoon tea daily and lounging by the pool.

Can't wait to see Droom and the other shows.

For those of you lucky enough to be going on the Ryndam in the next few weeks prior to their dry dock, you will find wonderful entertainment…the best overall that we've had on any HAL cruise. From the Piano Bar (David Anthony) and the guitarist (Terry) to the fabulous singers and dancers (saw 4 great different shows) they were all terrific (Adagio was very good we heard also).

The crew was wonderful…especially the Lido staff…with "Happy Harry" providing us with smiles and greetings each morning ("Coffee from Heaven.")

The dry dock is apparently for issues with the AC, etc….(Deck 8 was freezing)...we didn't see any problems with carpets, painting, etc. other than the usual. Overall we thought the ship was in very good shape and we had no problems with plumbing or AC. (Do take a sweater or wrap for the Pinnacle, Exploration Cafe, etc….they were all cold.)

Costa Maya (Mexico) was a surprise to us. They've made a wonderful port with beautiful pool, lounges, lots of shops (of course) plus Carlos 'n' Charlie's, and Señor Frog's. We did a private tour to Chacchoben Mayan Ruins which was worthwhile (The Native Choice…highly recommend).

We docked at 7, but were not cleared (both times) until 8:30…so plan ahead for your fights with that in mind. The airport was 20 min. away and is an excellent airport.

Have a great cruise on the Ryndam!

Happy Harry! What sweet, kind soul he is! Always looking around to see if he can be of help to every one..

Thanks for this info! We will be on the Ryndam in March and the piano bar is our favorite venue, if the entertainment is good. After reading your review I googled David Anthony and am very pleased with the comments people have made about him. Since we can't be on the Westerdam with Jimmy Maddox, this information about the piano bar was *music to my ears* :) (sorry, bad pun). We also enjoy going to the Crow's Nest to hear the guitarist, so we were also heartened by the good review. We rarely go to the main show lounge anymore (unless it's to see Julie Barr), so this information was very welcome!

Edited by Desdemona01

Yes, Ryndam is on the dry dock schedule for late March.

Yes, Terry is playing in MIX often, as well as around the pool, Crow's Nest, etc…nice.

David was SO good…but get there early if you want a seat…mostly standing room in the hallways when he plays! Music just comes off his fingers…

ALL the cast shows were outstanding! So see them all…each is VERY different…and quite different from any other shows we've seen on ships. They said these shows are only playing on the Nordam at this time, too.