Dry erase board on cabin doors?

double sided carpet tape.

I know you kidding and trying to make a joke but someone who doesn't know and is asking for real advice might take your answer seriously and ruin a door they just might have to pay to repair. And yes, while it hasn't happened yet, a cruise line does have the right to make a person pay for any damages they can cause, even if it is unintentional

Id use magnets on the back of the board... If I were to use anything I would go to Walmart and get some postit notes and leave them on the door. walking threw the hall ways we did see alot of post it notes

I know you kidding and trying to make a joke but someone who doesn't know and is asking for real advice might take your answer seriously and ruin a door they just might have to pay to repair. And yes, while it hasn't happened yet, a cruise line does have the right to make a person pay for any damages they can cause, even if it is unintentional

Actually, it has happened. Can't remember the line but a little over a year ago a couple of passengers decorated their cabins for Christmas using tape that pulled off not only the paint but some of the wallboard. They had to pay $$$$ to have it replaced and were not happy campers.

Actually, it has happened. Can't remember the line but a little over a year ago a couple of passengers decorated their cabins for Christmas using tape that pulled off not only the paint but some of the wallboard. They had to pay $$$$ to have it replaced and were not happy campers.

I thought I dreamed this but I guess I did hear about it actually happening. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

We bought a small (about 8 x 10) dry erase board at a office supply store that came with magnets on the back that had sticky tape attached (you attach the sticky tape to the board). We will use that on our door. It does not mar the door at all. We have seen many, many of these on previous cruises. Good to keep up with meeting places/times for others in your group.

Margee

So - just to confirm - on all of the ships, magnets will work?

Shirley, the bulletin board is a good idea, but only works if you happen to have a cabin near guest services. Usually what happens with a big group is that you go to someone's cabin, only to find out they aren't there and you have no idea where they have gone...

I have dry erase self stick sheets that I put on my door. You can google and there are quite a few variations out there. It goes on my door, I can leave notes as can other and then peels off when we leave. No adhesive at all. It is flat, so I carry on every cruise I go on!

I love writing on those boards when I see on them hanging on the door, lol

I'm not accusing YOU of this, but adding to the thread - I've also read more than once here of bad experiences of someone deciding its fun to write vulgarities on them, which then you're sometimes forced to explain to kids... Unfortunate, but inevitable, I guess...

• 2 weeks later...
Curious what would be the best way to mount a small dry erase board on a cabin door? We are on The Allure this summer and thought it might be a good way for our group to post notes to each other if needed. Are the doors metal or wood? Thanks!

3M has a product called 'Command' brand which are double-side, adhesive strips that easily detach from most surfaces (just follow the instructions). They are typically used for hanging hooks on surfaces that you do not want to drill a hole into and have to keep in tact (like dorm room walls or a rental). If you have a Target or Walmart nearby, check them out. Quite inexpensive. I have used them for hanging picture frames (without the hooks) and they hold up quite well without damaging painted surfaces.

On several cruises we were on people just hung the white boards on the room number sign. Just about everybody had their white boards out so people could contact them or leave messages.

I've had our magnets stolen from our door more times than I can mention.

We've used them to make our door standout more than the others. Sad to say we have found our magnets down the hall or on other floors. I started putting a message on the back to please return to our cabin number.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I recommend the magnetic boards designed for student lockers--both white board and post-it note style. They are perfect for stateroom doors because they are light in weight, yet have strong enough magnets to hold in place. They are designed to stand up to a locker door opening and closing repeatedly, but are compact, and will not damage the door surface. You can pick them up at office supply stores, Walmart, or Dollar Stores. If buying at a discount store, I always just test out the quality of the magnets on their metal shelf to make sure it's got a strong enough hold.