Scooter, wheelchair, walker rentals @ Ft Lauderdale?

AlexandNessa

Are you looking for something to take on a ship for a cruise - or just to use in FLL? If it's a cruise, each cruise line determines what rental company they allow to deliver to their ships. I personally can recommend Special Needs at Sea for a Holland America cruise. They can deliver directly to your cabin. When the cruise is over they pick up from your cabin. If you need wheelchair assistance to get on a HAL ship, you need to call HAL and request it. If you are looking for something to use only in FLL, I suggest you try a medical supply store. They sometimes offer rental items.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Try Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea.

They provide scooters for cruises. I noticed on the website of one of them (can't recall which one) that there was a selection for cruise only, hotel, or hotel & cruise.

I haven't called either company (it's on the "to do" list), but there were phone numbers prominently displayed.

Does your BIL use a scooter normally? I ask because I assume it requires some sort of practice before he would be proficient at navigating the hallways of a ship.

I really don't know. It's just a thought.

Try Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea.

They provide scooters for cruises. I noticed on the website of one of them (can't recall which one) that there was a selection for cruise only, hotel, or hotel & cruise.

I haven't called either company (it's on the "to do" list), but there were phone numbers prominently displayed.

You are correct Ruth. I only mentioned Special Needs at Sea because that's who I always use. I couldn't remember the name of the other company HAL allows to deliver to their ship. Thanks for mentioning that.

For the last couple of years I have been renting the 4 wheel walker/rollover....

I have been very pleased with them.

I had to Google "rollator" since I didn't know what it was. Turns out that I knew what it was, I just didn't know what it was called.

Now I do! Thanks KK. :thumbup:

My sister used Special Needs at Sea for her scooter when we did the Panama Canal. If I recall, it was the only way she could have a scooter onboard. Also, does you BIL have a handicapped accessible room? or suite? You can't really get a scooter into a regular cabin (you probably can, but it leaves little room for an actual person) and they will not allow it to sit outside the room.

My sister was very happy with the rental and it made the world of difference to her enjoyment of the cruise. The cruise before she had brought her own manual wheelchair and that did not work out well. I thought my BIL was going to wheel her overboard at one point. That is, unless she got him first!

It's a very long walk from forward to aft (and there are no elevators going in that direction) so this might be a great idea.

Maureen

When renting a scooter, note that it cannot be parked in the public areas of the ship overnight nor can it block the hallways during other hours. It is my understanding that there is space to park a scooter in all Neptune and Penthouse Suites, as well has handicap-modified staterooms (wider doors). If space exists, parking a scooter in "V" category cabins probably blocks access to the bathroom, closets, and the cabin door for emergency exit.

If we knew what ship and category of aft cabin you have booked, it would be easier to confirm the availability to park the scooter in your cabin.

It is our experience that the Front desk can arrange to have your scooter parked somewhere else overnight, charged, and then delivered to your stateroom when you need it the next day. On the Westerdam, our scooter was always returned with a few chocolate candies in the front basket.

I have now cruised twice with a couple who each use a scooter. (I don't know them, they just happened to be on the same cruise as me). Their scooters are usually close to their room in the elevator lobby on their deck, overnight. I always thought it was a no-no, but it was explained that as it is a large area there was no blocking of the hallways. I think the ship accommodates as much as possible.

Thanks everyone. BIL is in an aft SC suite as a single, so I'm not worried about parking.

Really appreciate everyone's advice!

If you do rent a scooter, before you book excursions -- make certain that the excursion bus can handle a scooter. Many can't because they are mini buses.

That is one of the reasons why I am still able to get along with a walker/rollator as they can be folded up and put onto a mini bus.

I have now cruised twice with a couple who each use a scooter. (I don't know them, they just happened to be on the same cruise as me). Their scooters are usually close to their room in the elevator lobby on their deck, overnight. I always thought it was a no-no, but it was explained that as it is a large area there was no blocking of the hallways. I think the ship accommodates as much as possible.

We have also noticed on many cruises that there are scooters parked overnight by the back wall in the elevator areas of the ships.

Some people even use the plugs there to charge their scooters.

We have also noticed on many cruises that there are scooters parked overnight by the back wall in the elevator areas of the ships.

Some people even use the plugs there to charge their scooters.

On our 2nd and 3rd cruise with HAL, I also left my scooter in the elevator lobby area on our deck, closest to our stateroom. No problem, or so I was told by my Room Steward....Leave it there and make sure to plug it in so it can charge, just make sure you take the key with you, he said.........That is until the 3rd cruise at 3 a.m. (3rd morning on the ship) when I woke early and went to get my scooter so I could go get some coffee in the Lido and then to drink it while enjoying a cigarette without disturbing hubby......

Scooter was MISSING!!!!! I was frantic and called the front desk literally in tears because it had been "Stolen.":eek: Front Desk calmed me down and told me that they'd received notice from Security that they, Security, had removed the scooter from the Elevator Lobby and taken it to Housekeeping to charge and keep it safe. She said they'd have it brought up to me immediately.

When the Night Steward and the Security Officer brought it to me, the Security Officer told me that it was a big no no and to do what my hubby (Crew News) suggested above.

The only reason they did know who it belonged to was the card that Special Needs at Sea had attached to the handle. Thank Goodness I'd left the tag attached.

Moral of this story is that no matter who says you can do it, or how many times you've done it in the past, all it takes is one time to have it disappear and it AINT a pleasant thing to go through.

Joanie

On our 2nd and 3rd cruise with HAL, I also left my scooter in the elevator lobby area on our deck, closest to our stateroom. No problem, or so I was told by my Room Steward....Leave it there and make sure to plug it in so it can charge, just make sure you take the key with you, he said.........That is until the 3rd cruise at 3 a.m. (3rd morning on the ship) when I woke early and went to get my scooter so I could go get some coffee in the Lido and then to drink it while enjoying a cigarette without disturbing hubby......

Scooter was MISSING!!!!! I was frantic and called the front desk literally in tears because it had been "Stolen.":eek: Front Desk calmed me down and told me that they'd received notice from Security that they, Security, had removed the scooter from the Elevator Lobby and taken it to Housekeeping to charge and keep it safe. She said they'd have it brought up to me immediately.

When the Night Steward and the Security Officer brought it to me, the Security Officer told me that it was a big no no and to do what my hubby (Crew News) suggested above.

The only reason they did know who it belonged to was the card that Special Needs at Sea had attached to the handle. Thank Goodness I'd left the tag attached.

Moral of this story is that no matter who says you can do it, or how many times you've done it in the past, all it takes is one time to have it disappear and it AINT a pleasant thing to go through.

Joanie

There was a guy on my Noordam cruise who left his scooter by the elevators for two weeks. It wasn't in the way or anything. You hardly knew it was there

BIL is having trouble getting around lately so I thought I would look into renting him something to help him get around a bit. Any suggestions?

You can rent Scooters and Rollators thru Special Needs: 1-800-513-4515; Care Vacations.com: 1-877-478-7827; Scoot-A-Round: No Telephone #. Check out their prices and size of Scooters, also for the Rolator. Next, check the width of the doors to the Cabins, MDR tables, Do they have a spare or parts on the ship if your Scooter "fails", who do you call? How much lead time do you need to pre-order a Scooter or Rollator? Will HAL accept the company you plan to rent the Scooter?

Great News: I was able to get my Rollator thru my Medical Insurance for a Co-Pay of only $13.00! The Rollaror cannot be used like a "Wheelchair" and ride on it. The Rollator has a seat to take a rest stop, and wheels about 8" diameter! Underneath the seat is a small basket to carry special items!:D

Also, it does not have a battery to fuss over., and has handbrakes to help you control you speed of about 2 mph!

I just got my Rollator on 1/11/14 and practicing in my backyard to get used to it and the wheels in the front that can move 360 degrees. The Scooter is like the one's in the Malls and Super Markets where there is a good place to try it out! I'm not PRO or CON on either the Scooter or Rollator, just giving out some information that took about a week to research! ENJOY!

Edited by robertmnch
Add more information!

You can rent Scooters and Rollators thru Special Needs: 1-800-513-4515; Care Vacations.com: 1-877-478-7827; Scoot-A-Round: No Telephone #. Check out their prices and size of Scooters, also for the Rolator. Next, check the width of the doors to the Cabins, MDR tables, Do they have a spare or parts on the ship if your Scooter "fails", who do you call? How much lead time do you need to pre-order a Scooter or Rollator? Will HAL accept the company you plan to rent the Scooter?

Great News: I was able to get my Rollator thru my Medical Insurance for a Co-Pay of only $13.00! The Rollaror cannot be used like a "Wheelchair" and ride on it. The Rollator has a seat to take a rest stop, and wheels about 8" diameter! Underneath the seat is a small basket to carry special items!:D

Also, it does not have a battery to fuss over., and has handbrakes to help you control you speed of about 2 mph!

I just got my Rollator on 1/11/14 and practicing in my backyard to get used to it and the wheels in the front that can move 360 degrees. The Scooter is like the one's in the Malls and Super Markets where there is a good place to try it out! I'm not PRO or CON on either the Scooter or Rollator, just giving out some information that took about a week to research! ENJOY!

Thank you also. Very helpful!