Lobster infatuation?

Caligirl33

It's traditional - rather like obsessing about tips/gratuities/Service Charges; dress codes; chair hogs; smoking; lift etiquette etc.. (Have I missed anything?):rolleyes:

don't forget the syrup craze! :)

I think it's kind of odd as well. People talk about it like it's the most expensive and luxurious food. Our grocery stores sell it cheaper than most cuts of beef and lamb, and way cheaper than most good fish, so I just don't get it. Maybe it's because it's something they would not make at home? Most grocery stores (at least ours nearby) will steam your lobsters for you, so it's easy to serve at home..

Robin

Do people really go on cruises to eat lobster? I can't believe how many threads there are asking about lobster! If I want to eat lobster I go to my local seafood supplier and buy it. I do NOT book a cruise LOL!!!!!

You are absolutely correct about the "infatuation". :rolleyes: If lobster was half as good as many people seem to think it is, then there would be a lobster restaurant on every other corner. Same as the restaurants where you get the same server so they can "learn" what you like....last I checked, not one "traditional" restauant on land....hard to believe that it really is "better".

Now, Pretzel Rolls on the other hand . . . :D

Edited by SeaShark

I'm going to duck and run after this but... pretzel rolls.:eek: I was so hyped up about trying them after people raved about them so much. A couple cruises ago I had our butler bring us some and they were okay/good but nothing I would go out of my way for. I don't know... maybe it's a thing where they need to be right out of the oven? When we got them they seemed like they had been made many hours before?:confused:

I've had the lobster in the main dining room before and it was okay too but I prefer a lobster the traditional way of dipping into butter. :D

Oh no... not another lobster thread.

Btw....when is lobster served on the Getaway?

ha ha just kidding :)

I believe people get crazy over lobster because for some,it is something they never go out to eat or buy themselves. But put them on a cruise ship and suddenly they want lobster. I guess it makes them feel special or rich or something. God bless them.

Just like the airlines. On the street, if you handed people bags of peanuts, no one or few would take the free peanuts. But put them in an airplane and put them 60,000 miles in the air and suddendly they are asking "Where are the peanuts?" And they will complain if they dont get them.

For me, I'm always looking for the smoked salmon aka "lox", that's harder to find and much tastier. Many times it is a by request item. i've always found it to be good on board.

BTW-sailing the Pearl in June, any salmon available?

Edited by bones774

For me, I'm always looking for the smoked salmon aka "lox", that's harder to find and much tastier. Many times it is a by request item. i've always found it to be good on board.

BTW-sailing the Pearl in June, any salmon available?

I agree 100 %, I'll take lox and a bagel over lobster any day of the week. A lot easier to eat with no shells. The hardest part on all of the cruise ships is getting a good bagel to go with the lox and cream cheese. Most times I prefer to eat it with the fresh little rolls instead. Some tomato, onion, and swiss cheese makes it.

Howard

PS.....forget the overdone lobsters.

I agree 100 %, I'll take lox and a bagel over lobster any day of the week. A lot easier to eat with no shells. The hardest part on all of the cruise ships is getting a good bagel to go with the lox and cream cheese. Most times I prefer to eat it with the fresh little rolls instead. Some tomato, onion, and swiss cheese makes it.

Howard

PS.....forget the overdone lobsters.

Hold the cheese, load up the capers. I'm with ya! I need to try that roll thing. The bagels usually do leave much to be desired. Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always avoid the MDR on lobster night, we went once and some of the passengers were like pigs at the trough! For us it's a good night to go a specialty restaurant or hit the buffet. This native of Maine will not waste any time on anything but the "good" lobster.

Nice to know bacon, beer, syrup and all are still important:)