Orlando to Miami

rvalente74

Hi there!

October is coming fast, and me and DW will be on Reflection Eastern Caribbean sailing on Nov 1st.

After leaving Orlando we will rent a HD motorcycle to get to Miami, and as we are first timers on USA we would very much appreciate some tips about this ride.

Would it be good to go all the way through the coast line, starting on Cocoa/Cape Canaveral?

Or just go on Turnpike and get the I95 almost on West Palm Beach?

We would like to see Boca Raton and take a look at the beach there, which beach is good to take a coke and relax some time before arriving Miami?

Tks in advance!

Hi there!

October is coming fast, and me and DW will be on Reflection Eastern Caribbean sailing on Nov 1st.

After leaving Orlando we will rent a HD motorcycle to get to Miami, and as we are first timers on USA we would very much appreciate some tips about this ride.

Would it be good to go all the way through the coast line, starting on Cocoa/Cape Canaveral?

We would like to see Boca Raton and take a look at the beach there, which beach is good to take a coke and relax some time before arriving Miami?

Tks in advance!

We are not motorcycle riders, but unmotorized bike riders. We ride long distances, like 70 mile per day, usually on back roads to see the local scenery.

I cannot imagine just taking your HDs down I-95 or the FLA Turnpike. You won't see much interesting that way. I suggest you might want to take to back roads. Consider driving to A1A, which is the old coastal highway on the Atlantic coast, driving it down to Miami.

I've only driven the Turnpike as a tourist, but would say don't use it unless you really have to. It is the most boring road in the world!! My wife and I got to the point of saying " oh look, a bend!"

Hope you have fun on the hog!

Simon

Depends on the time you are taking. Do you just have the 1 days or 2? Need to get to Miami by a certain time? The turnpike the whole way would be a waste of the rental but also taking the coast the whole way might be just as tough but because of too many lights. way too much stop and go.

I like your idea of getting closer then heading over to the coast. Decide where you want to stop an take a break then look at some of the back roads versus using the turnpike or I95. Most of these would not be congested and the speeds are still 55mph or so. See more of the back country.

My choice is Ft Lauderdale beach because 1) it is a huge beach and 2) it is world famous :) Not sure what Boca offers as we don't really go there except for shopping.

Duane

Hi there!

Tks in advance!

The Turnpike is painfully boring, but I think the most scenic drive is from Jupiter to Delray Beach. I suggest taking either the Turnpike to exit 116 - Indiantown Road or I-95 exit 87 - Indiantown Road, then head east to A1A for a coastal drive. (Head just a tad north of Indiantown Road on A1A and stop at either Guanabanas or Square Grouper for lunch - they are both neat little hideaways on the water - my preference is Guanabanas). :D

From Delray Beach south to Boca Raton is nothing but high rise condos, so there is really nothing to see there. I suggest stopping at JBs on the Beach or Ocean 234 in Deerfield Beach (on the border of Boca and Deerfield). There is a nice beach and pier in Deerfield.

Continue south on A1A through Pompano Beach (more high rises) and then you will eventually reach Fort Lauderdale Beach, south of Oakland Park Blvd. For about 3 miles, you will have a nice open ocean view.

At 17th Street, A1A then becomes a quirky road, as it curves west and reroutes to US1 (Federal Hwy) for a few miles until Dania Beach Blvd. At Dania Beach Blvd, you will then turn left to head east to connect to A1A once again, then that is the road to take all the way to South Beach. However once again, there is nothing much to see other than high rise condos from Dania Beach to South Beach.

Please visit the Florida Departures board for more information ...

Edited by brunello22

How much time do you have for this drive? It would be very time consuming to drive all the way down the coast from Cape Canaveral on the local roads, and pretty dull to be driving on I-95, which is a major highway, all that way. If you are trying to mix up getting south in a reasonable time and then heading over to the beaches, consider taking the Turnpike to I-95 (at least to just north of Port St. Lucie), then heading south on I-95 and at whatever point you think best head over to the coastal route.

I would strongly suggest, however, that you ask this question over on the Florida Departures board, where you will get Floridians and very experienced Florida travelers to help you out. Do let them know how much time you are talking about here. Perhaps they will advise you to take the coastal route the whole way.

The beaches along the Atlantic coast of south Florida are quite beautiful, and I would suggest asking the locals about their favorite spots.

Enjoy your first trip to the U.S.!

Edited to add: I was typing when brunello above was posting; brunello is a Floridian, so is offering good advice!

Edited by Turtles06

The Turnpike is painfully boring, but I think the most scenic drive is from Jupiter to Delray Beach. I suggest taking either the Turnpike to exit 116 - Indiantown Road or I-95 exit 87 - Indiantown Road, then head east to A1A for a coastal drive. (Head just a tad north of Indiantown Road on A1A and stop at either Guanabanas or Square Grouper for lunch - they are both neat little hideaways on the water - my preference is Guanabanas). :D

From Delray Beach south to Boca Raton is nothing but high rise condos, so there is really nothing to see there. I suggest stopping at JBs on the Beach or Ocean 234 in Deerfield Beach (on the border of Boca and Deerfield). There is a nice beach and pier in Deerfield.

Continue south on A1A through Pompano Beach (more high rises) and then you will eventually reach Fort Lauderdale Beach, south of Oakland Park Blvd. For about 3 miles, you will have a nice open ocean view.

At 17th Street, A1A then becomes a quirky road, as it curves west and reroutes to US1 (Federal Hwy) for a few miles until Dania Beach Blvd. At Dania Beach Blvd, you will then turn left to head east to connect to A1A once again, then that is the road to take all the way to South Beach. However once again, there is nothing much to see other than high rise condos from Dania Beach to South Beach.

Please visit the Florida Departures board for more information ...

Brunello,

Taking your comments to a map in Google (tried to put the link here, but its not possible), what do you think of this route?

- Exit Orlando taking the Turnpike

- Stop at Guanabanas (liked the idea!), 143 miles / 2 hours

- Down to West Palm beach using US1S and A1A, until State Rd 80 E

- Going to S Ocean Blvd all the way until Delray Beach, 37,3 miles / 1 hour

- Exit coast line on E Linton Blvd

- Back to I95 (option S Federal Hwy?) until Hollywood

- Back to coast by S Ocean Dr in Hollywood, 35 miles / 40 minutes

- Going down by the coast until Miami Beach and dodge Island, 22 miles / 50 minutes.

It is a good ride, almost 250 miles in 5 hours, plus lunch and bathroom time.

We should take the road about 10am (maybe sooner), and have no obligation on arrival.

Any thoughts?

Brunello,

Taking your comments to a map in Google (tried to put the link here, but its not possible), what do you think of this route?

- Exit Orlando taking the Turnpike

- Stop at Guanabanas (liked the idea!), 143 miles / 2 hours

- Down to West Palm beach using US1S and A1A, until State Rd 80 E

- Going to S Ocean Blvd all the way until Delray Beach, 37,3 miles / 1 hour

- Exit coast line on E Linton Blvd

- Back to I95 (option S Federal Hwy?) until Hollywood

- Back to coast by S Ocean Dr in Hollywood, 35 miles / 40 minutes

- Going down by the coast until Miami Beach and dodge Island, 22 miles / 50 minutes.

It is a good ride, almost 250 miles in 5 hours, plus lunch and bathroom time.

We should take the road about 10am (maybe sooner), and have no obligation on arrival.

Any thoughts?

Wow, you got it mapped out ... well done! Yes, I like that you found getting back to I-95 via Linton Blvd. I would not recommend S Federal Hwy (US1) as there is too much stop and go. If you do get off in Hollywood to get back to A1A, get off at the Hollywood Blvd exit. If you have time (and if you're hungry or thirsty), you can spend some time at the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk (Google it) - there are plenty of inexpensive eateries and the beach is beautiful. From there you can head south to Miami, but remember there won't be much scenery, aside from high rise condos.

There are so many neat little hidden gems along the way, but not enough time to do everything!

Do you already have a hotel booked for Miami? There is a lot of good information on these boards for places to stay and things to do pre/post cruise. Don't hesitate to ask!

I just want to add that I would not at any point get on I95 on a motorcycle for a million dollars.

I would have your caravan drop you off in Daytona and rent a Harley Davidson there (I think Daytona has the largest dealer in the world) and drive A1A the entire way.

The turnpike and I95 are really dangerous roads.

Good luck!

I just want to add that I would not at any point get on I95 on a motorcycle for a million dollars.

I would have your caravan drop you off in Daytona and rent a Harley Davidson there (I think Daytona has the largest dealer in the world) and drive A1A the entire way.

The turnpike and I95 are really dangerous roads.

Good luck!

Hello BlueHerons!

Have two questions:

- I saw that turnpike is 2-way 2-lines road, is it that dangerous?

- And the plan is to get I95 only to detour Deerfield, Pompano and Fort Lauderdale. Would it be safer to go by the Federal Hwy?

Hello BlueHerons!

Have two questions:

- I saw that turnpike is 2-way 2-lines road, is it that dangerous?

- And the plan is to get I95 only to detour Deerfield, Pompano and Fort Lauderdale. Would it be safer to go by the Federal Hwy?

There is a small area where you need to detour around Port Everglades but I would take US1/Federal Highway. Dont' go all the way out to I95 because it is way out of your way.

Do whatever you can to stay off I95. It's bad enough on a car but on a motorcycle its deadly. The worst drivers on the planet.

Edited by BlueHerons