How to verify whether a TA is legit..

wdj03

My wife & I were going to book our first cruise on RCCI today with a local TA. Her price was $1502 for an 'N' class interior room.

I went on to eBay to look for coupons & other useful stuff, and stubled across a TA from New York. He's booking the same cruise for $1526 for an 'H' class outside room on the third deck. (FYI, I just found this on eBay - we're doing the deal over the phone..)

Both prices include insurance. For $24, the upgrade to the better room seems to be very well worth it.

My wife talked to him on the phone and he seemed to be on the up & up. His company's website looks legit, but that doesn't really coult for much.

My question is how can I verify that this guy is legit? Is there some way that I can verify his liscense or whether he's accredited? If I pay with plastic, does the protection on my credit card help me out if I get ripped off?

Quick responses are appreciated - we're going to book today..

Some states (like Florida) require travel agencies to be regsitered, but most states do not.

If you charge the deposit it will appear on your statement as a charge against the cruise line, NOT the agency. If that is the case, I doubt you will have a problem.

Also, you can contact the line and say, "I am planning on booking a cruise on your line through the ABC Travel agency. Do you recongnize them as a valid agent?"

I checked with the BBB for his zip code. I didn't know his name, but his company's name came up correctly and listed a name as the owner. I called my wife & asked what his name was, and the two matched so I'm pretty comfortable that it's on the up & up.

He was understanding with our skepticism and had no problems with the questions we were asking. As it turns out, he even found insurance for us that was $80 cheaper - so we're saving $60 AND getting a much better room..

Per your reccomendation, marco.. I also plugged in his zip code on RCCI's website, and his agency came up. Between that and the BBB record I'm satisfied..

The internet kicks butt!!!

you could ask for they're IATA number.

or if they strictly deal with cruise ships ask if they are a member of CLIA.

But how would you know if the number is legit?

You don't need an IATA number to do cruises or tour operators only if you book air tickets.

At least here in Ontario you can go to the TICO site and search for the TA to see if they are registered.

But how would you know if the number is legit?

You don't need an IATA number to do cruises or tour operators only if you book air tickets.

At least here in Ontario you can go to the TICO site and search for the TA to see if they are registered.

IATA numbers usually start with a 6

and here in manitoba TA's use the number for every booking..im not sure about ontario.

Archived