Just how much of a "Must Do" is the white pass train in Skagway?

hokies111

Hello, I am cruising for my first time to Alaska this may.

At ~$130pp, just how much of a “must do” White Pass train? It seems to be one of the top recommendations in Skagway, though I have the initial feeling that it takes up a little too much time and is a little pricy for (not to sound negative)- watching scenery go by. In a way I am already getting a lot of Alaska Scenery while being on the ship, and just being in the ports. On the other hand people seem to rave about it... so I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am already doing whale watching for $175pp w/ tax in Icy Strait, and I am trying to budget one more excursion in the $150-$200 range between Juneau, Skagway, and Ketch.

Any recommendations on whether to budget my excursion dollars elsewhere?

Thanks!

At ~$130pp, just how much of a “must do” White Pass train? It seems to be one of the top recommendations in Skagway, though I have the initial feeling that it takes up a little too much time and is a little pricy for (not to sound negative)- watching scenery go by. In a way I am already getting a lot of Alaska Scenery while being on the ship, and just being in the ports. On the other hand people seem to rave about it... so I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am already doing whale watching for $175pp w/ tax in Icy Strait, and I am trying to budget one more excursion in the $150-$200 range between Juneau, Skagway, and Ketch.

Thanks!

Check out the train Bus combination tour. Beware you'll need a passport for that one or any that you can get off in Canada.

I would do the train again although understand prioritizing excursions. Alaska is very expensive. A good option for Skagway is a car rental. You can get them for about $120 and drive up to Emerald Lake with as many as you can fit in the car. Most talk about the lake although the drive itself is very nice and scenic. If you do this get Murray’s Guide. It is a milepost and includes a good bit of historical info on the drive. Most of the scenery on the drive is very different than the train, however.

I would do the train again although understand prioritizing excursions. Alaska is very expensive. A good option for Skagway is a car rental. You can get them for about $120 and drive up to Emerald Lake with as many as you can fit in the car. Most talk about the lake although the drive itself is very nice and scenic. If you do this get Murray’s Guide. It is a milepost and includes a good bit of historical info on the drive. Most of the scenery on the drive is very different than the train, however.

It's nice drive to Emerald Lake . If you don't have a passport it's a no go. You'll a passport to cross the Canada/US border.

If don't want to drive the Train is a must because Skagway gets very crowds when ships are in port especially if there are 4 or more.

Thanks!

Only you can decide what to do. I would like to point out that you don't see much of Alaska from the cruise ship. You need to take excursions if you plan on seeing what Alaska is all about.

We did a CruiseTour this past July, 2013. If you would like to see some of the scenery I saw (including the WP&YR) you can look through the trip report included in my signature.

Do you know how long a trip that is in car rental? Want to take in a scenic tour but also want to have time in Skagway to explore the town..

Thanks

Do you know how long a trip that is in car rental? Want to take in a scenic tour but also want to have time in Skagway to explore the town..

Thanks

I would count on six hours round trip from Skagway. You'll need a passport to cross the border into Canada.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Thanks

As mentioned, our trip to Emerald Lake and back was about 6 hours with quite a few stops. It’s advantageous if you can be at the car rental location early to be one of the first cars up the Klondike Hwy. We actually ordered sandwiches from Glacier Smoothies on the cell phone before disembarking in Skagway. One of us went to pick up lunch and the other went and stood in line for the car rental. Trying to be as efficient as possible to hit the highway early. The busses are always the first to leave but they weren’t a problem when we drove. The passport requirement is US. Can’t cross from Canada back into the US without one. Canadian border officials check while crossing the border into Canada as a courtesy to insure you can get back into the US, unless things have changed recently.

I know this is raved about, but it just sounded to long for us, traveling with a 9yo. We are doing a 4 hr private tour with Beyond Skagway Tours. We will cross into to Canada. This gives us the ability to stop when we want to....

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's true- excursions in Alaska are expensive. However since this is our first trip to Alaska, I have scheduled tours for each port except Victoria, since we get in late in the evening. Our excursions are costing us more than the cruise itself- including taxes and port charges.

So from the time they were available I started booking and paying so as not to be faced with a huge bill all at once. The only one left to pay for is the small boat tour in the glacier booked through Carnival, and only because Carnival can't accept prepayment for that tour.

The rest of the tours I booked independently for smaller groups - they weren't any cheaper but should be more personal than the large tours booked through the ship.

On our next Alaska cruise (tentatively 2015- grad present for the grandson) we may do it more casually since we will know better what we want to do.

Oh and this trip there aren't any of the kids going with us, so that makes a difference.

Edited by ekolusmama

I lived in Whitehorse for three years, have been to Skagway a dozen or more times, walked the length of the Chilkoot trail three times and taken the train twice. Very scenic and historical. The route was surveyed by a Canadian Joe Boyle who the army camp in Whitehorse is named after. It is one of the best things to do when in town if not the best.

If there is more than one ship in port get out of Skagway! The sleepy little town of 1200 or so easily gets overwelmed when 5000 passangers decend upon it. I hit there one day to do some shopping when 5 ships were there. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Other than the main street with its tourist stores there is nothing else to see. Best pub in town is the Red Onion but it seats 100 at best. In the winter Skagway is almost a ghost town.

The drive to Emerald Lake is also nice and cheaper. As mentioned you must have a passport to do it as you will cross into Canada. If you think this is something you want to look at book a car early as they go fast and there are more rental cars available at your averae US airport then in all of Skagway even though they do bring in more for the summer months.

OP please don't feel that any excursion is an absolute "MUST"...Excursions are very expensive in Alaska..On our first trip there we didn't do any at all and had a great time walking around each port, enjoying the scenery and just the fact that we were in Alaska made for an amazing first visit for us.

On our second trip we did do the Bering Sea in Ketchikan and the WP&YR in Skagway...even though I enjoyed it and was glad to experience it after all the "must do" comments...not something I would feel the need to do again...

Enjoy whatever you can budget for....hopefully they'll be other trips to Alaska for you and each time you can add a different excursion (a great reason to go back)...We're going for our third trip this May.

We took a private van one way and the White Pass train back to Skagway. I don't remember the name of the company. It was one of the most memorable things I have done in all 7 cruises I have taken. Plan to do it again this year. Just take the train one way.

This is one of the things that I am tentatively looking at doing when I go to Alaska next year. Hearing all the lovely things definitely sounds to me like it justifies the cost and also, there will be our ship and at least 1 other that day so appreciate the comments about getting out of Skagway.

Jo :)

Check out Chilkoot (sp?) Tours. Very reliable company. We have done it twice. Once train up and bus down and last time bus up and train down. Saw something different both times. The bus stops where ever people want and any time there is wildlife to see. Well worth the price for a full day tour. We had plenty of time to walk around town afterwards. The main part of town isn't all that big.

We are doing a land/sea tour when we go. so we will be on a train from Anchorage to Denali, a bus tour that is 6 hours or more in Denali, then a bus back to Anchorage/Seward to get to the cruise ship. I vetoed the white ass train because I didn't think I could take another train/bus this trip. The price on GAL is $224.00 also!

Oh my gosh! I need to read my posts before I click "post

" Sorry.

Don't worry, it happens to us all... but thank you for making me giggle this morning ;)

That aside, it makes sense why you are not doing the trip after all your other train and bus travelling.

Jo :)