Why are Royal Caribbean pools freezing and Princess ships pools warm?

SKAGGS1234

Heating pools, on ships where it is actually possible, uses energy, producing energy uses fuel, Captains get paid bonuses on low fuel usage.

Quite possibly - although I've read that on many ships the pool heating uses waste heat from the engine stacks - but the same energy/fuel usage is true of heating and airconditioning all the public spaces onboard, as well as the cabins for that matter. I would still hope that if push comes to shove that the Hotel Director has final say on such things. The pools are certainly a MAJOR part of the advertised amenities, I would hope that the Captain can't render them essentially unusable at his whim, to up his bonus a bit.

In reality, it likely unfortunately depends on whether they're cold enough to generate significant complaints or not.

Heating pools, on ships where it is actually possible, uses energy, producing energy uses fuel, Captains get paid bonuses on low fuel usage.

Even BIGGER BS then. So its permissible for a selfish captain to ruin the use of the pool for thousands of the passengers who PAID to vacation on that ship?

Nope ... this should be a Quality Control issue here .. with corporate policy in control of it .. not some greedy captain thinking about their bonus at the end of their contract. Those pools were built on to those ships to be used and enjoyed... not just for decoration.

Its the same as a captain saying "well, let's turn off all the lights after 10pm to save energy so I can lower fuel consumption and bump my bonus up".

And I can attest to this pool issue ... twice on Monarch and on Liberty the pools were ice cold .. totally useless.

We were told it's up to the Captain. A few years ago, on the Radiance from Vancouver to Hawaii, the pool was heated every day while we were at sea. It was so nice, as starting out, the air was on the cool side.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Interesting, while perhaps Radiance is an exception, as was explained to me most RCI ship's pools are not heated.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Even BIGGER BS then. So its permissible for a selfish captain to ruin the use of the pool for thousands of the passengers who PAID to vacation on that ship?

Nope ... this should be a Quality Control issue here .. with corporate policy in control of it .. not some greedy captain thinking about their bonus at the end of their contract. Those pools were built on to those ships to be used and enjoyed... not just for decoration.

Its the same as a captain saying "well, let's turn off all the lights after 10pm to save energy so I can lower fuel consumption and bump my bonus up".

And I can attest to this pool issue ... twice on Monarch and on Liberty the pools were ice cold .. totally useless.

Not sure about Monarch, but Liberty does not have heated pools, Indy is the only Freedom Class to have heated pools

I love cruising RCCL. In fact, it is probably my favorite. Having just returned from a Princess ship where all the pools were warm and inviting even on chilly days...I may have to reconsider. I do water exercising and I found it almost impossible to make myself get into the RCCL pools for the last 10 cruises.

The questions I have are: Do RCCL pools have heaters?

If so, which ships have them?

If they have them why are the pools freezing which makes the enjoyment of them impossible?

• Like 1

I love cruising RCCL. In fact, it is probably my favorite. Having just returned from a Princess ship where all the pools were warm and inviting even on chilly days...I may have to reconsider. I do water exercising and I found it almost impossible to make myself get into the RCCL pools for the last 10 cruises.

The questions I have are: Do RCCL pools have heaters?

If so, which ships have them?

If they have them why are the pools freezing which makes the enjoyment of them impossible?

Some RCI ships have heated pools with some of their pools on board - apparently (according to other posts) that would include Independence and Radiance. But I do not have a list of them to be certain. My understanding is most of them do not.

You keep referring to the pools as being "freezing". I know that is your perception as to the comparative temperature with your Princess experience, which likely was a heated pool. But that is a bit of an exaggeration IMO. You do understand that the pool temperature is relative to the air temperature, correct? RCI does not chill the water or in some other manner keep it cold.

While in the morning when the pools are recently filled and the air temperature is somewhat cooler, the water temperature will reflect that. But as the temperature continues to rise during the day, so does the pool water temperature - to the point of being quite warm relatively quickly on a hot day. It will not remain "freezing" during the day as as result - the sun won't allow it to. :) This is why most pools are not heated - it just isn't necessary in most climates, in particular with the Caribbean.

And in my experience the RCI water has always been quite refreshing and comfortable. And on a hot day it's nice when the water temperature is somewhat cooler than the air temperature. To each his own I guess.

My perception of "freezing" is determined by how many people you see attempt to get into the pool and grimace after putting 1 foot in. Thus, retreat and do not get in. I swim year around even in freezing weather in a heated pool in a tent. So, I do not consider my questions unreasonable. When cruising I enjoy using the ship pools which on our past cruises I found quite difficult to enjoy on RCCL.

My perception of "freezing" is determined by how many people you see attempt to get into the pool and grimace after putting 1 foot in. Thus, retreat and do not get in. I swim year around even in freezing weather in a heated pool in a tent. So, I do not consider my questions unreasonable. When cruising I enjoy using the ship pools which on our past cruises I found quite difficult to enjoy on RCCL.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think your questions are unreasonable - I never said that. My only comment was regarding your perception and mine with the pool temperature, which of course is subjective and based on individual experience.

I also was only trying to answer your questions on whether or not RCI pools are heated and to offer my opinion as to what affects water temperature and why perhaps RCI does not heat their pools.

We too have a pool, but unfortunately based on our climate it can only be used May - September, which can be heated as well. But the cost is prohibitive so I guess on the chillier days we either are cold, don't swim, or use the spa instead. ;)

Enjoy your cruises!

So if they're freezing cold, we'll be unhappy also. How did you find "the officer in charge of the pool deck?"

Easy, just ask one of the pool attendants or a pool area bartender. On any day with activity in the pool area, the officer will usually be in the area.

As for the comments that a certain ship does or does not have pool heaters, you can be pretty sure that if you've ever had a heated pool on one ship, then every ship in that class should have heaters, and I think I've seen heated pools on every class of RC ship from Vision class and newer. Just have a hard time picturing that they would mess with the pool water systems between builds.

Also, I've only gotten the "not sure we even have pool heaters" once - on Carnival.

I'm curious. If you complain to this person, do they actually turn on pool heaters?

I wouldn't say my individual complaint gets consistent results, but I figure if 10 or 20 complain, maybe with some noise about taking it up with the hotel director, something may happen. I've been on multiple cruises where the pools started out cold, and were heated later. Complaints, or possibly just the heating of a newly refilled pool??

You do understand that the pool temperature is relative to the air temperature, correct? RCI does not chill the water or in some other manner keep it cold.

While in the morning when the pools are recently filled and the air temperature is somewhat cooler, the water temperature will reflect that. But as the temperature continues to rise during the day, so does the pool water temperature - to the point of being quite warm relatively quickly on a hot day. It will not remain "freezing" during the day as as result - the sun won't allow it to. :) This is why most pools are not heated - it just isn't necessary in most climates, in particular with the Caribbean.

Sorry, but you're actually the one exhibiting a lack of understanding regarding pools. I've owned pools with my houses for many years. The sun & hot air temperatures during the day *might* be able to heat the water temperature a degree or two by late in the afternoon, certainly no more than that. My home pool has a control system that displays water temperature, and on a completely sunny day with temperatures in the 90s that is the maximum difference you'll see between early morning and late in the day. Over many of those days, the pool slowly heats up to it's summer temperature, but given that the pools on the ship are emptied & refilled every night you don't get that accumulated heating.

You might feel more comfortable getting in the pool in the heat of the afternoon, but it's not because the water temperature itself has changed, unless they're heating it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Sorry, but you're actually the one exhibiting a lack of understanding regarding pools. I've owned pools with my houses for many years. The sun & hot air temperatures during the day *might* be able to heat the water temperature a degree or two by late in the afternoon, certainly no more than that. My home pool has a control system that displays water temperature, and on a completely sunny day with temperatures in the 90s that is the maximum difference you'll see between early morning and late in the day. Over many of those days, the pool slowly heats up to it's summer temperature, but given that the pools on the ship are emptied & refilled every night you don't get that accumulated heating.

You might feel more comfortable getting in the pool in the heat of the afternoon, but it's not because the water temperature itself has changed, unless they're heating it.

Of course I realize that raising a pool's water temperature is a function over time and that large number degrees of change in a single day is not possible. In my case the temperature starts at around 60 degrees or so - which is not far below the air temperature at the time - and as the temperature increases over the summer, so does the pool. It also does not drop appreciably over night, so that by mid season it maintains a temperature (I too have a water monitoring sysem) close to air temps.

My reference with pool temperature was for those on board a ship. The comment that it would increase during the day was based on the thought that the water each day starts at a fairly high temperature (if it is coming from the sea) as that water is significantly warmer to start with - certainly more than my early May water - so that a few degrees change in the day is more noticeable. And most pools on board are likely shallower than your pool or my pool likely is overall so I think it would heat up overall a bit faster. That's all. And again, the other pools on the other ships may be heated and RCI's not.

But I do want to thank you for pointing out what I don't understand about the pool that I have owned for the past 14 years. :rolleyes:

Of course I realize that raising a pool's water temperature is a function over time and that large number degrees of change in a single day is not possible. In my case the temperature starts at around 60 degrees or so - which is not far below the air temperature at the time - and as the temperature increases over the summer, so does the pool. It also does not drop appreciably over night, so that by mid season it maintains a temperature (I too have a water monitoring sysem) close to air temps.

My reference with pool temperature was for those on board a ship. The comment that it would increase during the day was based on the thought that the water each day starts at a fairly high temperature (if it is coming from the sea) as that water is significantly warmer to start with - certainly more than my early May water - so that a few degrees change in the day is more noticeable. And most pools on board are likely shallower than your pool or my pool likely is overall so I think it would heat up overall a bit faster. That's all. And again, the other pools on the other ships may be heated and RCI's not.

But I do want to thank you for pointing out what I don't understand about the pool that I have owned for the past 14 years. :rolleyes:

Well, sorry, but I'll stick with the fact that the pool temp is simply not going to change "a few degrees" between when it's filled and the next afternoon. A degree, maybe 2 - max...

Skaggs 1234- I believe the pool water on the Royal ships is sea water and that's why it may be cooler than on other cruise lines. It depends on the ship and how new it is. Hope that's the possible answer your looking for.:cool:

Skaggs 1234- I believe the pool water on the Royal ships is sea water and that's why it may be cooler than on other cruise lines. It depends on the ship and how new it is. Hope that's the possible answer your looking for.:cool:

I'm pretty sure the pool water on most every cruise ship is sea water (not just Royal).

But ultimately the water still comes from the sea, even in the freshwater pools.

It's still a very large difference though - because freshwater pools are not emptied & refilled every night, while most of the saltwater pools are. So saltwater pools don't get the benefit of multiple days of cumulative natural warming.