Help with transportation within NYC, specifically 911 memorial to intrepid museum

Mom2B&Z

I'm trying to plan one of our sightseeing days in NYC. We have tickets to the Statue of Liberty at 10am on Saturday March 8. I just discovered there is a water taxi from battery park to the 911 memorial. Can we take another ferry to the intrepid museum? If so, who is it through and do I need to book tickets? Or is there another (?better) way to get from the 911 memorial to the intrepid museum? Taxis are not an option as our children need boosters and I'm not carrying them around :). I'm assuming the only other alternatives are bus or subway.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem with the water taxi is that it doesn't run very often. I'm seeing an hour and a half between taxis on the schedule. If your time is limited, that a huge waste of time.

Car seats are not require for children in taxis, but I'm assuming that's not an option for you.

So you are left with subway and bus. From the map it appears that you can get the M20 bus from South Ferry to the 911 area. That same bus can take you on to 42nd St where you can transfer to the M42 to go to 12th Ave (better Sat schedule than the M50). You can also take the E train from World Trade Center to 42nd St and the M42 to 12th Ave.

From the 9-11 Memorial to the Intrepid you would either take the "A" Train from Fulton Street to 42nd Street/Port Authority or the "E" Train from World Trade Center to 42nd Street/Port Authority. From there, it's about 3/4 mile walk West to the Intrepid.

There's absolutely no need to bother with the water taxi from Battery Park to the dock for the 9/11 Memorial. The memorial is an easy walk due north from the Battery Park.

The most scenic route is to just follow the esplanade right along the Hudson River, up to the marina. From there, you're just a couple of blocks from the memorial.

OP, timewise - I don't think you will have a lot of time to spend at the Intrepid Musuem in the (late) afternoon after first seeing the SOL with 10 AM tour - allow 2 or 3 hours for the visit without rushing, including the wait/short ferry ride back to Battery Park (between noon & 1 PM) then the 9/11 Memorial (lunch in between, somewhere) plus travel with children in tow.

The 9/11 Memorial (assumed you've already reserved the free passes online, still available for your planned visit date) is less than one mile from Battery Park, and easy 10 minutes walk in the uptown direction or 15 minutes with children. The walk up Greenwich Street is more direct, the walk up Broadway (against traffic - as cars/buses/etc. is southbound, one direction only) is more interesting - stopping at the Bull, popular for photos by tourists; NY Stock Exchange - Wall Street; historic Trinity Church (that remained undamaged when the towers nearby collapsed) Lower Manhattan is relatively quiet on weekends & easy to walk around, and sightsee.

Let's say your Memorial tour is 1:30 or 2 PM, by the time you are finished - it will be 2:30 or 3 PM. Travel time via subway/bus/walking of about 45 to 60 minutes, leaving you with no more than 2 or 2.5 hours for the Intrepid, its winter hours are 10 AM to 5 PM daily - and, you can easily spend 1/2 day or more at the Intrepid by itself.

Since you are sailing on the Breakaway on Sunday, next door to the Intrepid, you might want to dropoff your checked luggage before 10 AM at Pier 88 first, then walk a few blocks down to see it and return to check-in around 1 or 1:30 PM, do a late lunch & then prep for the sailway, IMO. This would free up more time on Saturday to explore the SOL, the 9/11 Memorial and the rest of Lower Manhattan - and, to visit other sights & sounds of the city with the children.

I really love NYC, I visited it about 16 or 17 times now. I served as a visitor group leader ( for friends, family and co-workers ) and I custom plan the visits depending on what the others want.

One thing I did one time loooong ago and and never again is climbing up the statue of liberty.

It took about 2 hours to get all the way to the top and once there it is a small platform about 10 feet long with 4 or 5 windows made of scratched plexiglass.

There was a guard there to move traffic...we couldn't even stop in the windows...we had to "don't stop walking" ...and windows faces the ocean..since Lady Liberty is there to welcome immigrants to the US it's normal...but no great view of NYC....only a side view of the southern tip of the island.

So now when I bring someone to the statue we stay on the ferry. The ferry goes in front and slows down for picture opp, docks, let passenger off then on and goes back in front and then to Ellis Island, then back to NYC...

On a LIMITED time schedule in NYC thats a good 2 hours saved and you are very close to the statue on the ferry.

If the time is NOT a factor and you want to live to full Statue of Liberty experience then go for it.

The scratched window situation might have change since the re-opening of the statue...maybe they refurbished it. And the last 15 or 20 steps to get in the crown are ( at least were ) very steep, it is like climbing up a ladder...good for kids ??

Like I said this was PRE 9/11 and the closing of the statue...now it might have change for the better...

Anyways I love NYC and I love to show her off !!!

Have fun !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you all' date=' walking does seem to make the most sense. Got2Cruise, our boys are 9&6 yrs and have done more in a day than this many times on vacation :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Just trying to help.:D I was also thinking that going from the Statue of Liberty which is so exciting to the 9/11 Memorial which is a solemn place, like a cemetery, will be a big change in environment and the kids might need some down time to unwind, and, don't forget to figure in getting some lunch too.

I think MKing's advice to see the Intrepid before your cruise the next day is a good one. Just looking at the Space Shuttle is an awesome experience. I went to see the Space Shuttle when it was parked at JFK and stood there staring for at least an hour.

Edited by Got2Cruise

sebas030 - thumbs up on skipping the long line & walk up to the top, inside the SOL (our visiting out-of-town niece skipped that last year & didn't missed it) and do plan on stopping at & seeing the Ellis Island building & grounds, many sections remained closed due to ongoing repairs of Sandy's damage, but it's a moving experience (much like Angel Island in San Francisco Bay) - it's up to you to prioritize your time & manage it.

On transportation, if there's 4 of you traveling together, instead of taking the subway & bus from 9/11 M. to the Intreprid Musuem (if you stick to original plan & tight schedule) - the faster way on a Saturday afternoon is to taxi directly from downtown (there's usually some taxi cruising in that area, if not, walk toward West Street or near/in front of the NY Marriott D/T Hotel (between Albany & Carlisle Streets) Children do NOT need car safety seat or booster to ride in taxi or car service (exempt by law) unless you feel it is absolutely needed. With moderate weekend traffic, it's a straight south to north run & yellow taxi fare should be around $20 + tips for the quick 10 to 15 minutes ride no tolls vs. $10 ($2.50 x 4) on the subway & walk/free bus transfer/walk of 45 to 60 minutes (mass transit on a weekend schedule.) It will buy you more time at the Intrepid & "pay" for itself - the recommended time is to "plan on spending 2-3 hours to allow for the full Intrepid Experience."

To help you plan & explore downtown Manhattan, see this free website for ideas, suggestions & tips, and download their free iOS & Android apps (use it if you have access to free WiFi and/or free mobile data since your home carrier is based in Canada) - http://www.downtownny.com/

Restrooms, traveling with children, are sometimes hard to find in the downtown especially on weekends, McDonalds scattered in the area are good for that (as well as a # of Burger King's) - check out the one at 160 Broadway near Liberty Street, close to the 9/11 Memorial (one recent YELP report said it was closed, not sure if it was for temporary rennovation) but it has live piano music and a doorman, yes, someone to open the door & greet/welcome you. Busy 24/7 place with clean restrooms & free WiFi, of course.

Speaking of free WiFi aside from McD & Starbucks, there are a # of free WiFi hotspots in Lower Manhattan, use the website link above to help you ID them ahead of time & plan for using it with a tablet or smartphone.

Have fun planning your visit to NY & enjoy the cruise on the Breakaway - we are looking at some last minute bargain deals ourselves - the winter blue "bugs" is really getting to the Mrs ... :D Please leave & keep the snow north of the border on your down to the Big Apple, another Polar Vortex coming our way next week & slim chance for some snow (shower, thankfully - only) again next week :eek: Oh NO ! (just kidding) Dress warmly & bundled up - at least we finally restocked our supply of rock salt/premium ice melt for THIS winter, again at the local Home Depot - 2 bags or 100 lbs. :rolleyes:

Edited by mking8288

Keep the comments coming, this is great :)

We can't climb to the top of the statue because ds2 doesn't meet the 48" height limit, so our tickets are pedestal only. I honestly can't see us spending more than 2 hrs there, including ferry time, since we really only want to see the statue.

It's the boys that want to go to the 911 memorial, they are very interested in modern history and what an opportunity for them to experience a very important piece of recent history. I do know we need passes, but was trying to figure out what time to request. If we miss out it isn't a big deal, but we will still walk by.

Taxis are out of the question, I know the law allows it, but I'm a former car seat tech and my children don't ride without them, law or no law.

Intrepid on Sunday is no good either, this is our first suite and we plan on being in the haven restaurant by noon and on our aft balcony shortly after that. We could theoretically visit when we return, but that would depend on the weather because our trip home is 7hrs plus time to cross the border. Still thinking about this one...

Thank you mking8288 for the wifi hot spots suggestion and link, I have a map of manhattan downloaded to the iPad already. As for the snow, we hand almost 5 inches of rain yesterday so snow sounds great! I think we have another 20-25cms (10inches?) of snow coming late next week, should make for a great weekend of skiing before the cruise ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk