What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

Try to do a full "Explore" of the ship so that you view all of the pictures, statues, flowers, etc. You will find your favorite spots whether it be the Library, Explorations Cafe, a window nook, lounge chair, etc.

Check out the Lido -- ice cream station, fruit station, bread pudding, etc. I personally love the raisin buns at breakfast, bread pudding, fruit and cheese selections. Other people like other things.

Try one of the afternoon teas. I hadn't tried them until my last cruise and am kicking myself that I hadn't.

The CREW!!! I cannot say enough nice things about the stewards, servers, bar tenders, young men who set up and take down the lounge chairs, etc.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll be trying HAL for the first time on the Eurodam for a Baltics sailing and cannot wait! We chose mainly based on the itinerary, which other cruise lines can't bear, but have read some great things about HAL now too!

My favorite place on the Eurodam is the curved couches tucked away in the Ocean Bar. You will almost always find me with a book there on sea days. I really miss those cozy spots on the other ships.

You picked a great ship for your first HAL cruise! The Westerdam is the happiest ship. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. :)

So glad to see this comment - my first cruise will be Westerdam in July. I've been searching the boards for comments/reviews/pictures - can't wait to walk on board and sail away.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll be trying HAL for the first time on the Eurodam for a Baltics sailing and cannot wait! We chose mainly based on the itinerary, which other cruise lines can't bear, but have read some great things about HAL now too!

Make your Pinnacle reservations on line or call ship's services to do it. Sometimes it's hard to get them once you're on board. Print out your confirmation and bring it with you. Tamarind is also good for lunch, IMHO. I would eat dinner there every night if I could.

do you love them too Ruth??

To tell the truth, no, I don't. I'm not fond of raisins (although I am learning to eat them in brown bread). Beyond that, though, the raisin buns remind me too much of hot cross buns we ate as kids. Never did like those.

Now, what I do love are some of the Danish served at breakfast. I try hard to stay away from eating them because one is never enough---even while it's also too much. ;)

I could eat a tray full of them!