Input, Med. Cruise! Your help is appreciated.

Bcshur

My husband and I are looking into a 7 Day Med. Cruise. We would love to be able to leave Philly the night before and arrive in Rome the morning of the cruise. Our travel agent states that this is a great way to do it, because then we would not need to get a hotel room. But, I am really nervous about this! If I book the flights on my own they are around 300 dollars less per person than if I book them through Royal Caribbean. What is everyone's input on this? Should we fly in the day of the cruise, book our own flights and save some money….or, are we setting ourselves up for stress? Any input would be great!

I think most people on here will say fly in the day before to avoid any last minute hiccups. Also, unless you are spending some time after the cruise in Italy, don't miss the chance to see Rome, it's a truly wonderful city and what you would save on booking the flights yourself will easily cover a couple of nights in a nice hotel.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'l have a wonderful time on your Med. cruise.

That is true! If I booked the flights the day prior and booked the flights it would even out. Our travel agent shared with us that the port is about an hour and a half away from the port, which means we'd have to find transfers. Does anyone have any ideas for Hotels in Rome that will pick you up at the airport and take you to the port the next day?

What is your first port?

If it's Naples, it is only two hours from Rome by train. Buy private insurance so you are covered for trip interruption. This will reduce the level of stress.

I sailed from Rome in Nov and there were a surprising number of folks who flew in the day of the cruise. They had car services booked to take them directly to Civitavecchia. I flew in a few days early and Hotwired a hotel. There's a lot of ways to do it.

What date are you sailing?

Hi Carol,

We are looking to sail June 26th. I am thinking if we fly June 24th we could get there the 25th and have a hotel overnight. I really would like a hotel that could take us from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel back to the port.

We did the Med last summer. Also flew from Philly. We left June 23 & we were stuck on the runway for over 2 hours before leaving due to thunderstorms. We had a few days extra ahead of the cruise, so I wasn't worried. So please do yourself a favor and fly in the day before. You get there early in the morning & can spend the day in Rome.

The port is an hour away from Rome itself, I'm not sure any hotels offer a ride to the port. There are few limo companies you can use. Rome in limo is a popular one, we used a differnt one & of course I can't find the name right now. If you look on the Port boards you can find recommendations.

Try to fly in early and spend a couple nights in Rome. So much see and do. Also, hotels there are quite different than US hotels, I don't think they have shuttles like we do. Plus the port is an hour from Rome.

If I were traveling that far, I would definitely stay a couple days before or after the cruise. Lot of traveling to go for 7 days only.

You need to do some research on Rome. The airport is 30 minutes by train and 45-60 minutes by shuttle to the Termini train station in Rome. The port is at least an hour by limo from downtown Rome and less by train.

Have you traveled in Europe before? This is a very port intensive cruise. You will be much happier if you take less stuff so you can manage your luggage. Don't sweat the formal wear and pare down the shoes. Plan to send out laundry if required. IMO less is more for this kind of trip. I did 30+ days with a 22" rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack and was very happy.

It is easy to take the train from the airport to Rome for 14€. I was going to do this, but I was offered a shared shuttle ride to Termini for 15€ so I opted for that. If you stay close to Termini, a cab to your hotel will not be expensive.

Train to Civitavecchia is a really cheap option - as little as 5 €. What you have to know is that the platform for the train is a long walk from the main station area. Ignore any folks who offer to assist you. They are gypsies and expect an outrageous amount of money as a tip. You have to go up some steps to get on the train. At the other end you have to take your luggage down steps and up steps to get to the other side of the tracks. Then it is a walk down the promenade to the ship shuttle bus or a quick cab ride.

If train to the port does not appeal, check your roll call to see if you can arrange a shared ride from Rome to the port.

Hotwire looks good for June 25 in central Rome. Look for at least a 3* hotel with a high approval rating. I lucked out with this for my trip. I got a 3.5 star hotel that oozed charm at the Plaza Maggiore with good surface transportation. For one night I would not obsess about a well rated central Rome hotel.

If you have one evening in Rome check out Rick Steve's walking tour from the Plaza Nirvona to the Spanish Steps. It was great!

Too much can go wrong and you'll be jet lagged. Arrive the day before, grab a cheap hotel at the airport and be refreshed for the first day of your cruise.

I've flown to Europe in the summer and experienced delays due to thunderstorms.

Better yet....fly in 5-7 days early and enjoy Rome. Such an amazing city :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have done several Med. Cruises and would never fly in day of cruise not only as you have no "wiggle room" but you should see Rome, and several days is necessary. I know of no free shuttles, as others have said the distances are pretty far. You will either have to do trains or private shuttles, which are nice but very expensive.

I would suggest going to the Europe boards to do a lot of your research as there are some very knowledgeable posters there. There is a lot of touring available in the wonderful ports, and if you are trying to save money and DIY you will have to do a lot of research and reading on each port.

Have sailed from Rome before. Spent two nights in Rome beforehand walking distance from the Termini. We got the train to Rome from the airport and then the train to Civitavecchia the morning of the cruise. It is a short walk from the train station that takes you to the entrance of the port where there are free shuttles that take you to the ship.

There are several trains a day but you need to pay attention to which are the express trains as ones with several stops take an age to get there.

If you do decide to get a hotel I would be happy to let you know where we stayed. We were able to walk to most places only needing to get transport to Vatican City. Please bear in mind that most Italian hotels especially in big cities have VERY small rooms.

If you are going to Rome it would really be worth the extra couple of days to take in the beautiful city.

On our cruise out of Civitavecchia we came in the night before, and stayed at a hotel in Civitavecchia. The hotel provided us with transportation to the hotel from the Rome airport for a reasonable fee.

When we arrived at the hotel we were hungry and they referred us to a local restaurant that was amazing. A family restaurant with outstanding food. The walk there and back was romantic and a lovely way to start a vacation...relaxed and not rushed. The next morning the hotel had transportation to the port. We are very happy we did that instead of rushing in the next day.

BTW the hotel we stayed at was Hotel Traiano. It was simple, clean, nothing fancy, and very reasonable rates, something like $110 a night. They had a nice breakfast buffet included.

The biggest reason I can think of, the cost of the flight! You are going to spend $1,000+ for a flight and ONLY spend 7 days? Civitavecchia is a beautiful town. Spend a night there! Spend at least two days in Rome after the cruise, you won't regret it. Better yet, do a 12 day cruise.

After our first Med cruise of only 7 nights, we booked longer cruises because of the airfare cost. Our experience has been RCI is almost always more expensive. If you fly through Paris (de Gaulle) is the worst airport in the world. You could be delayed hours in that airport alone.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by steveru621

We sailed on our day of arrival in Rome, but...

We had already once been in Rome for a couple of days at the beginning of a European train trip.

A few years later we were planning a vaction. Our schedule for vacation was very tight, and we both had different work demands for when, and how long we could be off. I found a great deal on a 12 night Legend OTS cruise. Getting time off together allowing us to arrive in Rome a day or so ealy was not feasible. Our only choice was to get there on our sail date! We had NO problems at all. We booked airport/cruise ship transfers with RCCL. It was easy! The bus ride was very pleasant with a very informative, funny guide.

If you have never been to Rome, I would listen to the majority of posters and get there a couple of days early to visit REALLY one of the most amazing places on Earth.

arrive a day early FOR SURE! We arrived a full day ahead but our plane had been delayed three hours. too much can go wrong--even if you arrive on time your luggage can go missing, which when you are boarding a cruise right way can be disastrous! I also found the train to the port a bit challenging, although this was our first trip to Rome. we were fortunate enough to catch the last one and hoofed it to port (lots of stairs) it was way cheaper but hubby said never again--we just made the ship. I couldn't imagine trying to get from the airport to the port on my own--it's quite a haul, and hot! Rome is AMAZING--our 24 hours was not nearly enough. take in the day--it will be worth it for sure!

and I TOTALLY second doing a 12 day cruise--best decision we ever made! so much to see and the flight is a hefty cost so take advantage of it!

Edited by dee21

We have done it with flying in the day of and I would do it again. Our flight got in very early, so there was some cushion in case we had a flight delay. We took the train right from the airport to the port. It was easy and cheap! We did spend 4 nights in Rome, which is one of my fav cities and highly reccommend staying a few days, but I got a much cheaper flight by putting it after our cruise instead of before. I think as long as you get in early enough to leave some time for issues you should be fine! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've sailed from Civitavecchia on a number of occasions and always fly in early - and it's only a 2 hour flight for us. I really wouldn't risk flying in from the US on the same day.

If you feel you don't have sufficient time or will be too jetlagged to see Rome I would press on down to Civitavecchia. As someone above posted, it's a nice little town and very easy (and cheap) to reach by train.

We've stayed at 2 hotel in Civitavecchia, both of which have free transport to the ship, and would recommend both - Hotel Traiano and Hotel Traghetto.

If you can squeeze in a visit to Rome and are on a budge I suggest finding a hotel close to Termini station and then catching the train down to Civitavecchia.

My husband and I are looking into a 7 Day Med. Cruise. We would love to be able to leave Philly the night before and arrive in Rome the morning of the cruise. Our travel agent states that this is a great way to do it, because then we would not need to get a hotel room. But, I am really nervous about this! If I book the flights on my own they are around 300 dollars less per person than if I book them through Royal Caribbean. What is everyone's input on this? Should we fly in the day of the cruise, book our own flights and save some money….or, are we setting ourselves up for stress? Any input would be great!

I'm surprised as Choice Air airline flights pricing are the same as if you booked directly with the airline with a minor fee. We used them on our 12 nite Medit. cruise and arrived early am in Barcelona the next day and made the Serenade with plenty of time. We flew Lufthansa and had a stop in Frankfurt, Germany.

Yes I do think you are Setting yourself up for stress. If avoidable I never travel on the day of embarkation, even if it is just a short flight or drive. I want to board the ship relaxed and what´s more Relaxing than to wake up the morning of the cruise in a Hotel close to the port having a nice breakfast and being able to fully enjoy the first day onboard?

I also agree with all others about Rome being so worth a few days.

Not saying it´s impossible, but I think it will be hard to find a Hotel offering Shuttles from the Airport and to the port.

There is a very interesting review on the Cunard board from lovely_serenity whose family flew into Rome and took the train to Termini, staying in a nearby hotel and then took the train to Civitavecchia. It is easy on one hand but, on the other hand, it is not without its hassles, mainly finding the right platform at TerminI, dragging luggage down and up steps at Civi. The walk from train to port is short and pleasant. Flying from the US on the same day is both exhausting and risky, in my opinion. I would do it from Europe and a different port. Definitely, try to spend time in Rome, it is fabulous. Enjoy whichever you decide. Ken:)

Edited by CruiseIreland

Have you flow trans-Atlantically before? Do you know how you react to 8+ hour flights and 8 hours of time changes? If so, maybe. But you probably wouldn't be asking then.

The only way I'd ever consider a same-day arrival for a trans-Atlantic flight to a cruise is with Choice Air and RCCL handling the transfer to port. I'm a savvy and comfortable traveler under rested circumstances, but 1/3 day of timezone changes after an overnight flight leaves me in no shape to deal with transit negotiations in another language and currency. A couple of test bookings show usually ONE direct flight between Philadelphia and Rome that lands in the morning, and it's typically that same $300 more per person than the low end flights that route through Zurich or Montreal or Madrid. Only about 20% of flights land in the morning at all; most land in mid- to late afternoon, which is already unsuitable given that it's 2-3 hours to get to the port. Either leave all the arrangements in Royal's hands (including the "we'll catch you up to your ship if weather delays your flight" guarantee) or fly in at least the day before, and preferably two.

Great advice already given. Wife and I have done two med trips, one 12 day out of Rome in March 2007 and 7 day out of Barcelona in May 2013.

First trip we flew out of ORL to JFK, the night before and into Rome the morning of the cruise. Lucked out, no issues at all and arrived at the port right when they let folks board.

Last trip, flew out of ORL to Philly, two days before so we could spend time in Barcelona. Lucky we did as we had mechanical trouble, boarded first plane and sat there 2 hours or so, then had to deboard and wait for a new plane (not easy since USAirways only has a few planes available in the same format). Ended up leaving 5 hours late. No issue for us, as it just cut down on the day in Barcelona. But some folks were very stressed and were rushing getting from the airport to the port. Shorter drive in Barcelona to the port. They made it, but barely....

Oh, trip insurance for sure.

Fly in a day or two before first because of possible glitches within the airlines and second so you are not so tired. We did it last summer. If you can, fly in another airport. See the countryside, then train or fly into Rome. Flights on the continent are very inexpensive. It is so glorious to be in Europe that you will want to make every minute count. I would, however, do my touring first then onto the cruise. the Mediterranean cruises are so port intensive that they are very tiring. We toured on the end and would reverse it next time.