Eclipse - Expectations & Reality

Jane2357

Oh forgot to mention - we made special friends with 2 couples from our roll call - one of which was invited to dine at the Captain's Table! How cool is that?!!!! Seems they ran into the Captain before the show on the 1st formal night and the husband was wearing his dress uniform from when he was an Officer in the U.S. Navy - the Captain of the ship stopped to speak and then the next thing you know - they are invited for later in the cruise. Congrats Mike and Renee - it was also their Anniversary on Valentine's Day - 27 yrs!!!!!

The confiscation of your wine opener (which I don't understand; it's not like you were taking it on an airplane, and there are plenty of knives all over the ship, so why were you not allowed to bring on a wine opener with a foil cutter???). But having said that, I don't think that can be attributed to Celebrity (not that you were blaming Celebrity, from what I can gather).

Jerseygirl -- I'm not sure who this hare-brained policy can be attributed to -- the cruiseline or port "security". But, I had the exact same thing happen to me at Port Everglades, last year. Port Security confiscated my favorite Pedrini corkscrew, because it had a 1" foil cutter on it. They told me that they were just following Celebrity's security directives, and that we could talk to Security, once we were onboard. My DH went to Guest Relations and the head of Security said he would return the corkscrew (since we were not provided one in our cabin). However, he had trouble locating it in the "naughty room", as the rocket scientists in port security had labeled it as a "folding knife" -- not a corkscrew!

Jane,

Thanks for an entertaining and delightful review! I am sorry to hear that you were ill for half of it, but moving and cruising can certainly do it to you! Your immune system gets bogged down with all the stress, and wallah...it just can't take anymore. Hope you are on the mend...:) i have always enjoyed reading your comments, and I totally understand about being flamed. Just remember, it is the person doing the flaming who has the problem. Something is just missing from his/her life, so it is taken out on you or someone else!

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'm on the mend and doing so much better. Getting sick on this cruise while disappointing - is not surprising - we've had a very eventful year (daughter's big wedding, selling house, building). I jumped on the Eclipse and wanted to do it ALL. I was already worn out and then was burning the candle at both ends. :o

God willing - we'll be back again soon!

Ah the great lingerie heist - almost forgot. So the only thing I wanted to do on St Thomas - was ride the tram to the top of Paradise Point and drink Bushwhackers. I've stood up there many a time but never with dh and it was on my buck list for this cruise. We had returned to the ship in the afternoon when the Butler called to tell us that he had a surprise for us - he got Celebrity to comp our laundry. Wow - I've never heard of that before and we are only in a S1.

I had brought along a pop up laundry basket and yes it was getting pretty full. I would NEVER have the ship do my laundry - I'm really picky, don't put things in the dryer, wash in cold but it was already gone and he was so proud of himself. Never mind that he had seen my undies but O.K. then. :o

Later that evening as I was starting to dress for dinner - I went to where I had been keeping all my bras. I had them next to the dressing table in a storage cube (you know the ones that fit in the storage over the bed only we didn't have over the bed storage).

I had brought 4 formal gowns (I already told you I over packed :cool: but it was my Anniversary and I was going whole hog), cocktail dresses for most other night. This all required strapless bras, colored bras, clear strapped bras, long line bra - you get the picture - lots of bras. IMAGINE THE LOOK ON MY FACE WHEN I SEE THAT THE BOX IS EMPTY!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Oh the horror as I realize that the butler must have thought they were dirty and took them ALL to the laundry. It was way too late to try to get them back and then I realized I was stuck with either a jog bra or the rather industrial one that I had worn to St. Thomas. That nice dress I was going to wear to dinner - had to be replaced with a very cute pants and top.

Luckily every thing was returned the next day - some things are probably shrunk - the long line bra is no longer white but grey but I think everything else survived. I should be furious but how could I be? This man had been bringing me tea (I had been sick for days by this point) and he was worried about my having to wash all those clothes when we got home. I would have rather chopped off my right arm than admit to him that had I of been in the cabin - I would have declined the generous offer.

We will laugh about this for years - is was priceless!!! :D: Ask me if I will EVER again leave out my pop up hamper or keep bras in the box? NO NO NO

Jane, thank you for your wonderful review. When I read about your "bra heist" this morning, I nearly sprayed coffee all over my computer screen! ;)

Like you, I'm picky about what I send out to the ships' laundry. I always bring a small bottle of Woolite (and a portable clothesline for Solstice Class) -- to rinse out my bathing suits and "unmentionables" -- anything with Lycra in it. We mostly use our Elite laundry coupons for DH's socks, underwear, and t-shirts. I would be horrified if our butler or room steward came in and grabbed all our laundry, without me sorting it first. But I admire your attitude and sense of humor about it! :D

I'm sorry but I do not have a photo of my lethal wine opener. I usually take a 2 piece, plastic thing where the screw inserts into the handle - about $2.00 bucks at any store. This time I took a folding metal opener with a very small foil cutter - apparently they consider it a tiny knife. I won't make that mistake again.

They took my shaving cream on the Jan.25 trip. She said "you aren't smuggling any dinosaur eggs in there are you??" I luckily caught the "Jurrasic Park" reference & really laughed. Nice to see a few of them actually have a sense of humor, unfortunately too few!