ONBOARD: Booking Cruise or Buying Certificate?

Laney219

I know the benefits have been defined on here before, but my question is a little different. If it has been asked, apologies. I did a search and did not find an answer.

I know the major benefit of booking either is an OBC, but is there something that makes booking a cruise or buying the certificate better than the other?

I believe I have read on here that if one just wants to buy a future cruise certificate, you can just fill out a form, no need to schedule an appointment. Will someone please confirm or deny??

I know the benefits have been defined on here before, but my question is a little different. If it has been asked, apologies. I did a search and did not find an answer.

I know the major benefit of booking either is an OBC, but is there something that makes booking a cruise or buying the certificate better than the other?

I believe I have read on here that if one just wants to buy a future cruise certificate, you can just fill out a form, no need to schedule an appointment. Will someone please confirm or deny??

You are correct in that you can purchase a certificate by filling out a form, no need to make an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador.

Another difference is that the amount you spend on the certificate is non-refundable.

Edited by clarea

You are correct in that you can purchase a certificate by filling out a form, no need to make an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador.

Another difference is that the amount you spend on the certificate is non-refundable.

I wish I could just PM you Bob, you always have the answers I need!!

Non-refundable... If I apply it to a cruise and need to cancel, do I lose the money at that point, or can I transfer it to another sailing?

You mentioned the 'amount'. There are varying amounts you can 'buy'??

Edited by Laney219

I wish I could just PM you Bob, you always have the answers I need!!

Non-refundable... If I apply it to a cruise and need to cancel, do I lose the money at that point, or can I transfer it to another sailing?

You can change the booking to another sailing without losing any money. Don't ever use the word cancel.

You can change the booking to another sailing without losing any money. Don't ever use the word cancel.

Thanks got it!!

I edited my last one in the hopes to catch you... you said the 'amount' that I buy the certificate. Are there varying amounts?

Thanks got it!!

I edited my last one in the hopes to catch you... you said the 'amount' that I buy the certificate. Are there varying amounts?

Sort of. You can put one or more names on the certificate. Each name costs $100. So if you put 2 names on the cert, you pay $200, which would be non-refundable.

You only need to put one name on the cert. When you decide what cruise you're going to assign, then you can add more names. So to minimize initial outlay and the non-refundable part, it's best to put only one name on the cert.

Sort of. You can put one or more names on the certificate. Each name costs $100. So if you put 2 names on the cert, you pay $200, which would be non-refundable.

You only need to put one name on the cert. When you decide what cruise you're going to assign, then you can add more names. So to minimize initial outlay and the non-refundable part, it's best to put only one name on the cert.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for your help!

Just wanted to add that if you pick a specific cruise and pay the deposit and cancel those are fully refundable.

Your can also just keep the same reservation number and switch dates as long as it is before final payment.

For those you do have to sit down with a rep onboard.

Am I correct in thinking that changing booking to another sailing can only be done prior to final payment date of original sailing?

You have to change it before the final payment date. If you change that one again it has to be before the final payment date of that cruise, not the final payment of the first one.

Edited by molly361

Am I correct in thinking that changing booking to another sailing can only be done prior to final payment date of original sailing?

That's correct for North American bookings. I'm not sure if UK bookings have the same ability to change sailings without penalty.

The cruises I had to cancel late last year were NC bookings. Since they were canceled well after final payment, I had to file insurance claims. I received everything back including our initial deposit. So I guess they are refundable under certain conditions.

Edited by cruisenfever

The cruises I had to cancel late last year were NC bookings. Since they were well after final payment, I had to file insurance claims. I received everything back including our initial deposit. So I guess they are refundable under certain conditions.

Good to know, thanks Patti. Hope you have no more reasons to cancel cruises!:)

I booked a specific cruise and only paid the deposit. I knew which date/sailing I wanted so it made logical sense.

I am also safe knowing it is refundable if anything unforeseen should happen prior to final payment date and know they will honor price discounts before payment due date (I recently upgraded our cabin to a suite for less than we were paying for the balcony at the time of purchase)

If you know exactly where you want to go and when then I suggest booking the exact cruise then you can monitor the prices. Should you not wish to be rushed into making the decision on board then go with the other option.

I only wish I had started doing this earlier:) we now spend the week before we sail deciding on what we want to do next:D

Hope this helps

That's correct for North American bookings. I'm not sure if UK bookings have the same ability to change sailings without penalty.

The UK version of the brochure states that if you have to cancel penalties are incurred.

5 days or less 100% 6 - 14 days 90% 15 - 28 days 75% 29 -56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only.

If we want to make a change to the booking after it has been confirmed we also have to pay. The small print is hard to read but you get the gist, we are not treated as equals with the US travellers.(IMO)

Can someone please tell me if the certificates expire? I am kicking myself (actually kicking DH!) for not getting one on our last cruise, we are definitely getting one this cruise!

Royal Caribbean Cruises:

Nov 15 2013 Independence Of The Seas- 8 Night Eastern Caribbean

Dec 10 2011 Oasis Of The Seas- 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Mar 19 2011 Liberty Of The Seas- 8 Night Eastern Caribbean

Sep 27 2010 Majesty Of The Seas- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise

Sep 7 2009 Majesty Of The Seas- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise

May 26 2008 Majesty Of The Seas- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise

Jan 2 2005 Mariner Of The Seas- 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Booked:

December 14 2014 Independence of the Seas- 6 Night Western Caribbean

I booked a specific cruise and only paid the deposit. I knew which date/sailing I wanted so it made logical sense.

I am also safe knowing it is refundable if anything unforeseen should happen prior to final payment date and know they will honor price discounts before payment due date (I recently upgraded our cabin to a suite for less than we were paying for the balcony at the time of purchase)

If you know exactly where you want to go and when then I suggest booking the exact cruise then you can monitor the prices. Should you not wish to be rushed into making the decision on board then go with the other option.

I only wish I had started doing this earlier:) we now spend the week before we sail deciding on what we want to do next:D

Hope this helps

That is the way we do it as well.

But we tend the change the sailings sometimes and I always thought you re then subject to the NEW sailing's final payment date.

If I am understanding what Bob said above the penalty phase is the date of the original booking that you made onboard, not the one that you change it to.

Can someone please tell me if the certificates expire? I am kicking myself (actually kicking DH!) for not getting one on our last cruise, we are definitely getting one this cruise!

No expiration on the certificates.

No expiration on the certificates.

Excellent! Thank you!

Royal Caribbean Cruises:

Booked:

Royal Caribbean Cruises:

Booked:

The next cruise certificates do not expire.

Just wanted to add that if you pick a specific cruise and pay the deposit and cancel those are fully refundable.

Your can also just keep the same reservation number and switch dates as long as it is before final payment.

For those you do have to sit down with a rep onboard.

Hope this helps

Thank you both for your input. I have an idea of where I want to go and when... just rather not make an appt. w/ the LA.

Royal Caribbean Cruises:

Booked:

Never