Driver's License for Boarding!!

kbirkhead

Quick question,

members of our party just got new driver's licenses and will probably not receive their hard copy by our boarding date :confused: will the paper copy combined with their birth certificate be enough?

Okay, I just have to ask. :) How do you get a paper copy? :D

I know some states provide you with a paper copy to use until you get the original card in the mail. In Oregon that is what is done and I have actually used mine (paper one) when flying not sure about for a cruise?

That is what they do here in Alabama as well. When you renew they print out a copy of it on paper and you use that until you get your copy in the mail.

Okay, I just have to ask. :) How do you get a paper copy? :D

That's what the DMV gives out until the other one comes in the mail. They usually take the old license so you can't give it out to someone else (sneaky) and one of the girls lost hers all together. I'm hoping the paper will suffice. It has their photo on it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what the DMV gives out until the other one comes in the mail. They usually take the old license so you can't give it out to someone else (sneaky) and one of the girls lost hers all together. I'm hoping the paper will suffice. It has their photo on it

Oh, okay. I guess every state is different. I've always gotten the actual card while I was there. :)

I hope you guys have a great time! :D

didja ever think to call carnival and get the real answer from the real people you will be sailing with? bet they could tell you...

if you booked thru carnival directly then call the 1-800-764-7419 carnival phone number and ask them. if you booked thru a travel agent call them...

and if they do not know... call 1-800-764-7419 and ask carnival directly....

I don't know if in Georgia you can go to the DMV and get a state issued ID right then or if it comes in the mail like the license. But if you can get one right then, you can use that (being a photo id) and your birth certificate. I did that when I went on my first cruise. But yes I would get ahold of Carnival and find out from them for sure.

didja ever think to call carnival and get the real answer from the real people you will be sailing with? bet they could tell you...

if you booked thru carnival directly then call the 1-800-764-7419 carnival phone number and ask them. if you booked thru a travel agent call them...

and if they do not know... call 1-800-764-7419 and ask carnival directly....

Yes, of course I called but as many members here know, you can get many conflicting answers from various customer service reps.

I tend to rely on the boards for advice from people who have had first hand experience rather than hypothetical Q&A through Carnival.

why not just carry your US passport? You never know where it will be useful since you are traveling to foreign countries. What if you miss the ship or something and have to fly back? I always carry my CA drivers license and also my US passport.

They unfortunately don't have passports. We leave next Wedmesday so we are going to hope either that will work or they could receive the hard copies in the mail.

The one rep I spoke with said it should be alright since the picture would be on it. Hoping for the best.

I don't know if in Georgia you can go to the DMV and get a state issued ID right then or if it comes in the mail like the license. But if you can get one right then, you can use that (being a photo id) and your birth certificate. I did that when I went on my first cruise. But yes I would get ahold of Carnival and find out from them for sure.[/quot

Good suggestion. The state of Georgia will give you a state identification card with your photo on it. You get it from the DMV. I believe it cost $15.00. You will get it that day.

My license was to expire while I was on the Victory last August. So I renewed it just in case. As luck would have it, it didnt arrive in time and I got a paper copy. The DMV folks said use your old license and the paper copy combined. At check at POM, the Carnival person had to ask a supervisor but I had no problems boarding. My state is Nevada.

I live by chicago they do it there. Had a relative who was leaving to go home (lived in UK but was a US citizen) had his bag stolen passport included a few days before. He did have to call to get an appointment. They don't take walk is for same day service aparently.

http://Www.uspassporthelpguide.com/regional-passport-office/

Looks like now it may take 24 hours. But it also appears you must be traveling within 2 weeks.

Worth a try to call them, as they do passport cards too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by pbsteve

My Uncle couldn't find his passport for his Panama Canal Cruise on Feb 15. He was to fly out on Friday the 14th and realized late Tuesday night the 11th that he couldn't find his passport. He called his TA at 10PM and she advised him to immediately call the Houston Passport Agency for an appointment. They are available 24/7 at the toll free number to make the appointments. He got an appointment for 11am the next day (Wednesday). The process was completed by noon. He went back on Thursday morning at 9am and picked up his new passport. Luckily, he still had time to edit his Princess Online Check-in.

He got home from the Passport office and went to make a copy of the new passport and found the old one on the flatbed scanner! LOL

Edited by DebJ14