Driver's License for Boarding!!

kbirkhead

my uncle couldn't find his passport for his panama canal cruise on feb 15. He was to fly out on friday the 14th and realized late tuesday night the 11th that he couldn't find his passport. He called his ta at 10pm and she advised him to immediately call the houston passport agency for an appointment. They are available 24/7 at the toll free number to make the appointments. He got an appointment for 11am the next day (wednesday). The process was completed by noon. He went back on thursday morning at 9am and picked up his new passport. Luckily, he still had time to edit his princess online check-in.

He got home from the passport office and went to make a copy of the new passport and found the old one on the flatbed scanner! Lol

lol!!

So a Valid photo id at boarding...is a passport necessary if going to the Bahamas or will photo id be enough there?

A US citizen requires a passport, a passport card, an Enhanced Drivers License or a government issued photo ID coupled with a birth certicate (or other citizenship document).

They unfortunately don't have passports. We leave next Wedmesday so we are going to hope either that will work or they could receive the hard copies in the mail.

The one rep I spoke with said it should be alright since the picture would be on it. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just re-read my original response and realized that I left off a line- while my temporary EDL wasn't good for border crossings it was still valid as an ID and as a license. I believe that I have read on here that people have presented the temporary licenses and been allowed to board.

After talking to 5 carnival agents and getting various answers from each, I finally got in writing through and email that the girls can board with a temp ID, Birth Certificate, and their school photo ID. I was the they would make a note on our booking to let the embarkation manager know.

Lord help the person who gives us any trouble :P 4 fiesty college girls who don't put up with any BS in the way of our very much needed vacation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quick question,

members of our party just got new driver's licenses and will probably not receive their hard copy by our boarding date :confused: will the paper copy combined with their birth certificate be enough?

Can't help, we use our passports. (I almost got left in St. Martin, a DL would not have gotten me on the plane to get home.) But I'm commenting because in MD, we leave the Dept. of Motor Vehicles with a DL not a paper copy.

Yes, of course I called but as many members here know, you can get many conflicting answers from various customer service reps.

I tend to rely on the boards for advice from people who have had first hand experience rather than hypothetical Q&A through Carnival.

And that doesn't happen here?

Better get a state issued ID card instead of hoping that DL come on time. They should be able to give you that right away.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here in Vermont they will give you one or the other but not both, not sure about Georgia.

Edited by sparks1093

Better get a state issued ID card instead of hoping that DL come on time. They should be able to give you that right away.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not all states issue same day IDs.

California's state IDs are issued they the DMV. Same wait as a DL.

Same day passport service IS available, but it costs $$$ and has to be scheduled in advance.

DNiece's had expired. A month before the cruise, she admitted it to her mom. They had to hand-deliver paperwork to the passport office and then make an appointment for 10 days later. She had to take her valid DL, birth certificate, photos, and the completed forms.

The appointment itself took only a few minutes, essentially delivering the passport, but the office staff (Denver) told them that they still confirm documents, and that is what takes all the time. They absolutely cannot complete the whole process during a single visit.

DS paid a fortune (I think she said about $300 in addition to the regular $135 fee)

Can't help, we use our passports. (I almost got left in St. Martin, a DL would not have gotten me on the plane to get home.)

I have seen this said so many times, I thought I would jump in and comment. Obviously, you are better off with a passport in your possession if you get left at an island by the cruise ship, but it does happen. Do you think the people it has happened to are still on the islands? Maybe waiting bar somewhere?

Obviously if you get left at a cruise stop by your ship, regardless of fault, you will be able to fly home. It happens often enough that the cruise company agent at the port of call knows exactly how to deal with it. It probably isn't fun, and it certainly will be costly, but it will happen.

Kevin C

I have boarded both a cruise and a plane with my paper copy of my license before..... with those new enhanced licenses it seems they take longer???? to print. I know they asked me why it was paper but after I told them it was just until the regular one came they let me pass. It is after all legal Picture ID (it has your picture and it is from your state). Yes a passport makes it easier but until I had one there are just some things that you have to live with how the state does things.

Edited by Dirkgun