Advice on finding a cruise agent

lreinstein

This is our first cruise, and I think we need a cruise agent who has a lot of experience and can talk us through it and help with all the choices.

Where do I begin? and what are most important attributes?

- CLIA member, hi ranking?

- Local who I can visit face to face vs by phone across the country?

- personally a lot of experience with the line we will be using (Celebrity)?

- Same age bracket as myself and my wife (just retired)

I appreciate any and all advice and even specific recommendations.

Thanks

Larry

This is our first cruise, and I think we need a cruise agent who has a lot of experience and can talk us through it and help with all the choices.

Where do I begin? and what are most important attributes?

- CLIA member, hi ranking?

- Local who I can visit face to face vs by phone across the country?

- personally a lot of experience with the line we will be using (Celebrity)?

- Same age bracket as myself and my wife (just retired)

I appreciate any and all advice and even specific recommendations.

Thanks

Larry

All of these are valid but to what degree of importance is up to you. To me, being able to talk to a person is important, but it doesn't matter if their office is in a different state. (as our is, BTW) More than being able to go see her is the knowledge and experience she brings to our planning.

A cruise focus is important, but not just with our primary cruise line. A well rounded experience brings alternate perspectives and would help if we wanted to cruise on a ship or itinerary not provided by our line of choice.

Their age relative to ours is not as critical either. Their age as it ties into their experience and length of time not just in the industry but with the agency is more important to m. As long as they have a good understanding of our tastes and how best to fit that into our cruising experience then it doesn't matter what their age is as long as it is supported by their experience level.

Service level coupled with their relationship to the cruise lines is critical. I want to be assured that they will handle all the details and resolve any issues that arise on our behalf. I don't care so much for perks out of their commission - if they are giving back some of their compensation to me as an incentive to book through them, then I would worry about what might be lacking in terms of service. Something has to give if you accept less for doing your job. I'm not saying they shouldn't pass on savings from agency blocked rooms, etc., if you go that route with them. Just don't need money back out of their pocket to make the pricing a little more attractive. I also avoid "big box", travel clubs, and on line only agencies.

I would also check to be sure they do not charge any separate fee not directly charged by the cruise line for initiating, modifying, or cancelling a booking through them. They are compensated by the cruise lines for the booking and should not receive any additional out of pocket money from you.

Hope this helps!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

One way to find an experienced cruise travel agent: Go to the web site of the cruise line. Somewhere on one of the first pages there should be something like : "find a travel agent." If you click on it you should get a list of "preferred agents" or "specialized travel agents." Personally, I have used the same agent at one of the big online agencies that is a real agency with physical offices in Florida.

Also I would look for one who (or whose company) is licensed in Florida and New York as they have pretty strict consumer laws.

Many of the large online agencies will get you good prices and some complimentary add-ons. Find one you like and use them!

Many times we have found that word of mouth with other cruisers is a good source of info. But even we hear a recommendation we will check-out the agency by carefully reading their web site, history, terms (whether they charge any fees), Better Business Bureau rating and history, and a general internet search for info (both good and bad). Over the years we have probably booked through around 10 agencies and have now cut it down to our personal "short list" of 4 major online agencies. When we decide to book a cruise (we cruise over 70 days a year) we simply check those 4 agencies to see their total cost for the cruise (we include the total cost and back out amenities such as on board credits, pre paid gratuities, etc) and then compare the best deal to what is offered on the cruise line's web site (which is never the best deal). We then book with the agency that has the best overall deal. This entire process usually takes us about 30 min...and we use the same process for a 10 day cruise or a 60 day cruise. Our savings (when compared to the cruise line site) does vary....but on some cruises we have saved over $3000 by not booking with the cruise line.

Hank

I'm a fan of word-of-mouth. I found my CA through other people, and have used him for the past 16 years, every cruise. Have not been able to beat his prices or his level of service. I don't live near him, but he is incredibly responsive and answers all my nutty questions very quickly via phone & email (I really make him work for it lol). Now my parents, friends, & coworkers have used him. I don't think age or location matters. A true cruise expert can explain pros & cons based on what you tell them you're looking for in your vacation. I do recommend you find someone that specializes in cruises since that is their entire focus & they know all the ins & outs. I saw someone post once that you should come up with your list of questions, and use that as an "interview tool" for whatever agencies ultimately get to the top of your list. Find someone you trust with similar vacationing style as yours & who can offer you the name of an agent they've used. Good luck!