Oceania Insignia

prairiesailor

I didn't mean to imply that it's really hard to get slots on a standby basis. I was only outlining what to do to get your allotted 2 reservations if you are very picky about when, where and with whom you eat. I really don't like eating dinner at 8:30 or 9, so I want to at least be able to pick a reasonable time to eat. This is particularly true for me as dining in the specialty restaurants does take some time! As for getting in on a standby basis, we probably could have gotten more opportunities than we normally did if we had tried harder. However, we are fine with the other dining options, so in the end it was not all that important to us where we dined. Of course, the longest cruise I've ever taken was 2 weeks, so I don't know how I would get on anything longer. I DO like variety and changes of venue!

I just reread your post and I didn't pick up before that you are on a 50 day cruise. Are you saying you only get 2 visits to a specialty restaurant reservations that whole time? That surprises me, although I suppose it may be harder for a cruise ship to take in a lot of the things they normally bring on board for a cruise in some of those ports you're going to.

Edited by roothy123

Bear in mind that ability to get reservations can depend on the passengers on your cruise. If you have a lot of passengers (like DH and moi) who often do not use our full complement of reservations, you have a good chance to get extra reservations. People who have a butler can get ahead of others in line, but again, it depends on how many people really want specialty restaurant reservations. (And now that people in cabins with butlers can order dinner in their cabin, that frees up space in the restaurants as well.)

There are cruises where everyone seems to want as many reservations as they can get and others where many people don't care.

We have had cruises (especially on the smaller ships) where we only did one specialty restaurant (when we were entitled to four). Others when we have used all of our available reservations.

The upgrading of the Terrace buffet also has an effect. Many people actually prefer it these days.

Re the Grand Dining Room: we've met people who swear it is horrible and will not eat there. We disagree! We've had many lovely meals there and we like the changing menu.

The point is ... I for one cannot guarantee that you can get any reservations you want. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Just go check daily and see what is available, and be flexible as to times and whether you want to share a table or not.

It CAN be done even at the last minute.

Mura

We were on this ship in September. We could book 4 reservations to specialty. But got many more while on board, but they were late 8:30. On a 14 day cruise we ate in the specialty venues half the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Bear in mind that ability to get reservations can depend on the passengers on your cruise. If you have a lot of passengers (like DH and moi) who often do not use our full complement of reservations, you have a good chance to get extra reservations. People who have a butler can get ahead of others in line, but again, it depends on how many people really want specialty restaurant reservations. (And now that people in cabins with butlers can order dinner in their cabin, that frees up space in the restaurants as well.)

There are cruises where everyone seems to want as many reservations as they can get and others where many people don't care.

We have had cruises (especially on the smaller ships) where we only did one specialty restaurant (when we were entitled to four). Others when we have used all of our available reservations.

The upgrading of the Terrace buffet also has an effect. Many people actually prefer it these days.

Re the Grand Dining Room: we've met people who swear it is horrible and will not eat there. We disagree! We've had many lovely meals there and we like the changing menu.

The point is ... I for one cannot guarantee that you can get any reservations you want. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Just go check daily and see what is available, and be flexible as to times and whether you want to share a table or not.

It CAN be done even at the last minute.

Mura

I remember meeting people like you suggest that never eat in the main dinning (and proud of it). It wasn't on Oceania, because this is our first time, but on other cruises. I really do appreciate all of your input.

We were on this ship in September. We could book 4 reservations to specialty. But got many more while on board, but they were late 8:30. On a 14 day cruise we ate in the specialty venues half the time.

Thanks Karska - the specialty restaurant menus really look great. Oh yes, how was your fourteen day trip?

I remember meeting people like you suggest that never eat in the main dinning (and proud of it). It wasn't on Oceania, because this is our first time, but on other cruises. I really do appreciate all of your input.

On main stream lines it may be the case as the food in the free venues is poor quality & they pay extra for the Specialties

usually on Oceania the food quality is the same no matter where you eat ;)

Just did a HAL cruise the buffet food was fine but not Oceania quality ...exception was the desserts they were very good on HAL

Lyn

Thanks Karska - the specialty restaurant menus really look great. Oh yes, how was your fourteen day trip?

Loved it. Believe it was called Cathedrals and Crowns. Monte Carlo to Southampton. Food was good in all venues, we just didn't like terrace cafe for dinner.

Would thoroughly recommend this cruise ship. Sailed with Insignia in July this year. Insignia was returned to Oceania cruise lines this year after a full refit. This was our 2nd cruise with Oceania. Will be using them again in 2015. Small size ships from 600 - 1200 passengers. Meals are excellent. We used the Terraces Cafe mostly as loved to sit outside to eat and loved the grill. There are speciality restaurant that you can book in advance for dinner instead of using the Grand dining room or Terraces grill. Ships have a great pool & spa deck, although pool is not excessivly large. There are plenty of deck chairs available and decks to sit out on. There is also a laundry on the 7th floor with washing machines and dryers and ironing facilities available for guests. There is a small cost involved. Have cruised with Royal Caribbean only before and would never go back to a large cruise ship. Did not enjoy the meals as much as with Oceania. Thoroughly recommended. We have cruised the French Riviera, Italy & Dubrovnick and the Greek Isles with Oceania.

I agree with Loisanded and Rothy123 comments. We found we loved the Terraces for most meals and loved the fresh grill each night. Also able to dine outdoors if you are travelling in the right climate. The Grand dining room changes it menu daily so may have more choices there. Also agree with pre booking speciality restaurants on line as soon as you are able to. Have never travelled for as many days as you plan so would think that you may have a better chance once on board for extra bookings, as most guests try them first then either like them or not and may cancel like we did as we liked the Terraces for healthy grills and eating. Enjoy your trip

I agree with Loisanded and Rothy123 comments. We found we loved the Terraces for most meals and loved the fresh grill each night. Also able to dine outdoors if you are travelling in the right climate. The Grand dining room changes it menu daily so may have more choices there. Also agree with pre booking speciality restaurants on line as soon as you are able to. Have never travelled for as many days as you plan so would think that you may have a better chance once on board for extra bookings, as most guests try them first then either like them or not and may cancel like we did as we liked the Terraces for healthy grills and eating. Enjoy your trip

Yes, we are retired now and can travel for extended periods. My wife only has to unpack once and she likes that. Thank you very much for the "heads up" on Oceania dining. Where have you been with Oceania?

Yes, we are retired now and can travel for extended periods. My wife only has to unpack once and she likes that. Thank you very much for the "heads up" on Oceania dining. Where have you been with Oceania?

I now see your reply, again thank you!!!

Would thoroughly recommend this cruise ship. Sailed with Insignia in July this year. Insignia was returned to Oceania cruise lines this year after a full refit. This was our 2nd cruise with Oceania. Will be using them again in 2015. Small size ships from 600 - 1200 passengers. Meals are excellent. We used the Terraces Cafe mostly as loved to sit outside to eat and loved the grill. There are speciality restaurant that you can book in advance for dinner instead of using the Grand dining room or Terraces grill. Ships have a great pool & spa deck, although pool is not excessivly large. There are plenty of deck chairs available and decks to sit out on. There is also a laundry on the 7th floor with washing machines and dryers and ironing facilities available for guests. There is a small cost involved. Have cruised with Royal Caribbean only before and would never go back to a large cruise ship. Did not enjoy the meals as much as with Oceania. Thoroughly recommended. We have cruised the French Riviera, Italy & Dubrovnick and the Greek Isles with Oceania.

Granted the meals are not the best, but Royal Caribbean dollar for dollar ain't a bad deal. The smaller ships occasionally have very interesting itineraries, i.e. the Rhapsody of the Seas is going around Cape Horn in the Winter and Spring of '16, then across the Atlantic and then (not posted yet) into the Mediterranean.

The big ships on the other had offer great on board shows and restaurants (you do have to a pay fee).

Different strokes for different folks, in my estimation it is all good - you get what you pay for....