Tell me about WATER!

Ishy

I drink 64oz of filtered/purified water a day.

First time in the Mediterranean.

First time in Europe.

Starting in Barcelona.

First time on Princess.

How is the water on board, it is ... recycled?

I should try to bring my own?

Where to purchase? Where to replenish? What brands are good?

I don't really drink alcohol, I do enjoy 2 cups of coffee a day.

I looked, but I don't think the beverage packages include bottled water.

Thanks for your input!

Bottled water on-board is very expensive...if you bought all that you would drink in that amount of time it would be one heck of a bill! If I remember correctly, a litre was around $3-4. I too drink tons of water (4-5 L per day) and I've been fine with the water on board. If you must have bottled water, if you can find it before you embark you can bring as much as you want on-board or stock up when you hit ports. If you can find a drugstore or grocery store it would be much cheaper.

Other than the expensive stuff in the bottle all of the ships water is made from sea water. De salinated and purified. The stuff they make is so pure they actually have to add certain chemicals to it so it has some taste. It is as pure and safe as any water you will find in a North American city and in a lot of cases much safer. Ships use reverse osmosis and one other type of purification that I can't remember. I'm military and we use a ROPU (reverse osmosis purification unit) to produce fresh water in the field. I've seen water taken out of some pretty scuzzy places and it comes out good to go. We use a lot of these things when deployed on humanitarian missions across the globe. They were life savers for the victoms of Haitai and the Phillipeans.

Other than the expensive stuff in the bottle all of the ships water is made from sea water. De salinated and purified. The stuff they make is so pure they actually have to add certain chemicals to it so it has some taste. It is as pure and safe as any water you will find in a North American city and in a lot of cases much safer. Ships use reverse osmosis and one other type of purification that I can't remember. I'm military and we use a ROPU (reverse osmosis purification unit) to produce fresh water in the field. I've seen water taken out of some pretty scuzzy places and it comes out good to go. We use a lot of these things when deployed on humanitarian missions across the globe. They were life savers for the victoms of Haitai and the Phillipeans.

Some of the ships distill the sea water instead of using reverse osmosis. Because distilled water is so pure they have to run it through a mineralizer for taste and then balance the Ph as required.

Yes, it is very safe as the distillation process boils the sea water and then condenses the steam. This will kill little nasty organisms in the sea water.

Note: At times ships will take on local water in ports where it is safe to do so. This is done for economic reasons - thank you BruceMuzz for the information.

Edited by beg3yrs

You can bring cases of bottled water on board without a problem. Simply make sure the cases are tight, not squishy - we reinforce with duct tape wraps as needed - and securely place a luggage tag on the case(s). Check it at the pier with your other checked luggage and it will be delivered to your stateroom.

It will be delivered after the actual luggage has arrived. Cases of water are not the top priority for the cruise line, but it will make it to your stateroom. We tend to duct tape the case to make it more secure, and attach the luggage tag with duct tape. We've been doing this for more than 25 cruises.

Enjoy the Med cruise - a great experience. Hope you are spending a few days in Barcelona before embarking. What a fantastic city!

I've heard there is a 2 prong approach to water on board, both with the same final step. Your description is of the second and generally lesser used for "on demand" situations or when visiting ports where the quality of water is questionable or not available. For many ports, its less expensive for the ship to purchase water, rather than desalinate, and then treat and filter.

The end result is the same, the water on the ship is some of the purest water you can drink and in many cases purer than some bottled waters which are just municipal water with some light purification.

I drink 64oz of filtered/purified water a day.

First time in the Mediterranean.

First time in Europe.

Starting in Barcelona.

First time on Princess.

How is the water on board, it is ... recycled?

I should try to bring my own?

Where to purchase? Where to replenish? What brands are good?

I don't really drink alcohol, I do enjoy 2 cups of coffee a day.

I looked, but I don't think the beverage packages include bottled water.

Thanks for your input!

Take a bottle and fill it with water (by the glass) from the HC. Add some ice. Bingo. Cheaper than buying it!

Refilling your own bottle in the buffet is very risky. Think of all the other people that have done the same thing with their bottles that probably haven't been cleaned in between uses. They may have had their mouth all over the top of the bottle, then put that bottle's top right up against the top of the water dispenser. I've seen so many people drink water out of their bottle, then put the bottle right up against the top nozzle of the water dispenser in the HC. The next person steps up and has no idea what has just happened and now they're sharing germs. I know there will be a lot of people that don't agree with me, but it totally grosses me out. I think it's a great way to contract Norovirus.

Like you, I drink A LOT of water every day. I rarely drink alcohol (just don't like the taste) and will drink maybe 2 Diet Cokes a day. If we're driving to the port, we buy a large flat of water. But in most cases, we fork out the money for bottled water. I don't care what it costs. People spend a whole lot more on alcohol than I do on water.

There will be a lot of people that suggest you drink the bathroom water. They say it's perfectly fine to drink and it probably is. Personally, I don't like the taste of it. It's my one luxury to drink bottled water while on a cruise, so that's what I do. ;)

All of this is purely a matter of what you're comfortable with and what your tastes are. No one is right or wrong - it's just a matter of choice. :)

Personally, I bring a couple of 24 oz Brita filter bottles and take the filters out while on ship (that way I have them for use in ports as needed). I fill them from the sink each night and put them in the fridge tops off (don't fill them all the way). I find they taste a bit better if you let them aerate. If you ask, you steward can also bring an empty ice pitcher to do the same thing.

Do note if you hit heavy seas? Lids on :)

Refilling your own bottle in the buffet is very risky. Think of all the other people that have done the same thing with their bottles that probably haven't been cleaned in between uses. They may have had their mouth all over the top of the bottle, then put that bottle's top right up against the top of the water dispenser. I've seen so many people drink water out of their bottle, then put the bottle right up against the top nozzle of the water dispenser in the HC. The next person steps up and has no idea what has just happened and now they're sharing germs. I know there will be a lot of people that don't agree with me, but it totally grosses me out. I think it's a great way to contract Norovirus.

Like you, I drink A LOT of water every day. I rarely drink alcohol (just don't like the taste) and will drink maybe 2 Diet Cokes a day. If we're driving to the port, we buy a large flat of water. But in most cases, we fork out the money for bottled water. I don't care what it costs. People spend a whole lot more on alcohol than I do on water.

There will be a lot of people that suggest you drink the bathroom water. They say it's perfectly fine to drink and it probably is. Personally, I don't like the taste of it. It's my one luxury to drink bottled water while on a cruise, so that's what I do. ;)

All of this is purely a matter of what you're comfortable with and what your tastes are. No one is right or wrong - it's just a matter of choice. :)

If you re-read my reply, I said "Fill from the HC water (via a glass):rolleyes:

Or you could always ask your room steward to ensure you have a large jug of iced water each morning and evening in your stateroom. Then use that to fill your empty water bottles and keep them in the fridge until you need them. This will be the same water they provide in the MDR. A few extra bucks as a tip will make it well worth his/her while to keep your water needs sorted. Enjoy your cruise.

Personally, I bring a couple of 24 oz Brita filter bottles and take the filters out while on ship (that way I have them for use in ports as needed). I fill them from the sink each night and put them in the fridge tops off (don't fill them all the way). I find they taste a bit better if you let them aerate. If you ask, you steward can also bring an empty ice pitcher to do the same thing.

We were told on a galley tour that all of the water served in the dining rooms and buffets are filtered water. The only water NOT filtered is that out of the sinks in the cabins.

I've never noticed a difference, though I am sure there are extra filters on the galley dispensers, soda machines, etc.

We were told on a galley tour that all of the water served in the dining rooms and buffets are filtered water. The only water NOT filtered is that out of the sinks in the cabins.

I'm a big runner even when cruising and drink measured amounts of water every day...lots of it. We cruise 4 times a year usually 14 days at a time. So I've drank gallons and gallons of Princess water...from the tap. Never, ever have I had any issues whatsoever. As others have stated its at least as good as what you get at home. You can pay for bottled water but to me that is just a waste of money that I can spend in the bars!!

We took the Ultimate Ship Tour on Coral Princess last month, and the Engineer's area was very informative -- including a detailed description of the water onboard.

When the ship is sailing, they run the desalinization or reverse osmosis process [this is free, because it uses the exhaust heat from the engines]. If there are several ports close to each other they can't produce enough water, so they top up in port.

All the water from all sources is filtered, chlorinated, ph-corrected before being distributed. So it really doesn't matter where it comes from, it is ultra pure when you get it.

All that being said, I didn't particular like the taste. So I was glad that we had brought on a case of spring water.

We have a flimsy nylon duffle bag that is a little larger than a case of water. It gets delivered to the cabin with our luggage. [This is necessary in Tampa, where the longshoremen won't handle cases of water unless disguised this way.]

Really like this idea! This way it's not contributing more plastic to waste.

ALL potable water on cruise ships - even the water in the toilets - is filtered several times before it gets to you. ALL potable water is also exposed to high intensity ultra-violet radiation to ensure that nothing is living in it when you consume it.

But the water that goes to the restaurants, bars, and ice machines is filtered one additional time at the dispenser. Next time you get near a water dispenser or ice machine on a ship, you can easily see the blue plastic filter device on the back of the machine.

Edited by BruceMuzz

+1 to the Brita bottles! DH and I have used them on 2 cruises now, with great success. They also are great for saving the cost of expensive airport bottled water. Take them through TSA empty and fill them from the water fountains at the gates.

***Your steward leaves you a bucket of ice once or twice a day. Keep filling your bottles with it.

:D

I am another one in favor of water instead of alcohol or sodas. I have always asked my room steward to bring me one of their plastic ice buckets made for chilling wine in the room. I also bring my britta bottle. I can refill it in the privacy of my room and the ice is replenished twice a day.

The bucket will not fit in the fridge so they put plastic wrap on it to keep it fresh. I have never had a problem doing it this way.