Questions about the Sun

rjm11

Hi, I've booked the Sun for Thanksgiving- an aft penthouse on the 8th deck, and have some questions:

1. The Asian restaurant- is it only sushi and Teppanyaki? or does it offer the full menu that the other Asian restaurants in NCL do? It's one of our favorites, but NCLs site makes it sound like it only has sushi and Teppanyaki

2. The Great Outdoors- we've primarily sailed the Star and Dawn- so we're new to this- what do they serve there?

3. Thanksgiving- anyone try the Thanksgiving dinner on the Sun? How was it?

4. Kids club- my kids loved the kids club on the Star, were OK with it on the Dawn- any feedback from the Sun? They will be in the 6-9 group.

Thanks!

Hi, I've booked the Sun for Thanksgiving- an aft penthouse on the 8th deck, and have some questions:

1. The Asian restaurant- is it only sushi and Teppanyaki? or does it offer the full menu that the other Asian restaurants in NCL do? It's one of our favorites, but NCLs site makes it sound like it only has sushi and Teppanyaki

2. The Great Outdoors- we've primarily sailed the Star and Dawn- so we're new to this- what do they serve there?

4. Kids club- my kids loved the kids club on the Star, were OK with it on the Dawn- any feedback from the Sun? They will be in the 6-9 group.

Thanks!

The Great Outdoors is a pretty good location for breakfast. There always seemed to be enough seating. Your standard buffet breakfast items including an omelet station that will also cook up eggs anyway you would like them. One line and it moves pretty fast. Coffee, juice, milk, pastries, fruit, various cold meats, fish, bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs. Hope that helps.

The Great Outdoors serves food on and off throughout the day. There is the breakfast but later in the day it has a selection of hamburgers, pizza, fries, etc. When we were on it they were kind of the shoulder restaurant when the buffet was closed for the meals after breakfast.

The kids club is a bit different on the Sun. It is in the very front of the ship and actually has some good views, but not as fancy as the newer ships. When our kids were on there were only 50 kids so they combined activities quite a bit.

We were on the Sun last August in Alaska in an aft penthouse; great ship and crew!

1. The Asian restaurant- is indeed only sushi and Teppanyaki. (Sadly, as we love the chinese restaurants on the other NCL ships and the noodle bar on the BA.)

2. The Great Outdoors- is an extension of the Garden Cafe buffet actually, but as other posters said the hours are different from the GC and it tends to be a bit quieter.

3. Thanksgiving- we have not done Thanksgiving on the Sun, but our very first cruise was on the Dreamward during Thanksgiving week. We had a great Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. 20 years later, of course, cruise dining is so different that if you didn't like the Thanksgiving dinner you could go try Italian or...

4. Kids club- Our dd is too old for the Kids Club now, but we saw many children during last years Alaska cruise and they all seemed to be having a blast.

Oh, by the way, the sofa bed in our living room was VERY hard when made up to sleep on (on the sit on now that I think about it). It took our steward a few nights to get it soft enough so that dd was happy (an eggcrate + 2 duvets).

I'm sure you'll have a great trip - the Sun is a wonderful ship. :)

Thanks!

Well what do you know, looks like we'll be on the same cruise with you (Deck 9, Inside aft)! :)

I'm interested in following this thread as well since this will be our first time on the Sun.

The Sun is one of NCL's smallest and oldest ships. That being said she is in great shape and has a great crew. We took our first cruise on her in 2011 and will be going on her again next year. The Great Outdoors is just another buffet area that is on the aft and mostly open air. It serves pretty much the same fare as the Garden café and is open slightly different hours with some overlap of the main buffet area. Can't answer about the Asian restaurant because we haven't eaten there but I saw someone posted it does not have a regular menu like the one on the Star which we enjoyed.

Thanks!

We were on the Sun in Jan. and my kids are both in the same group, 6-9 years old. We have never been on any of the other NCL ships so can't compare but the kids loved the program and always wanted to go back. They had circus training and near the end of the cruise did a big performance for us, they had a pirate night where they got face painted and went through the ship looking for treasure, they played games including video games, did crafts, had a p.j. party etc.

The only downfall I could see is they did pick up a few things that we didn't find were appropriate (sayings/actions), not sure if this was from the staff or other children or a combination but I figure this could happen anywhere.

Overall we thought it was a very good program. I hope your children enjoy it!

thanks everyone for all the responses! I'm really excited to try out the Sun! Is the suite-perk breakfast/lunch in Il dagio the same menu as the Cagneys breakfast and lunch? Any info about the tapas bar? thanks!!!

Yes, same b & l as Cagney's. But Il Adagio is the modt charming ambience.

Tapas bar nice margaritas. A few hot and cold appetizers. Nice space.

Sports bar open 5::30 pm to 5:30 am ish. Has blue lagoon menu and popcorn too. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what do you know, looks like we'll be on the same cruise with you (Deck 9, Inside aft)! :)

I'm interested in following this thread as well since this will be our first time on the Sun.

I'm booked on this sailing as well. Mid ship balcony on deck 10. It will be my first time on the Sun, (going on her again in May 2015 to Alaska in an aft mini) so I am also watching this thread with interest. I'm heading down to Tampa on Amtrak, arriving the day before we sail. NCL had a joint promo with them and I've always wanted to ride in a sleeper. Sort of a vacation before the vacation. Has anyone traveled down by train? And I would also like to know how's the turkey? By the way, you guys need to join the roll call, we need you, lol!:)

• 3 months later...
You are in a penthouse so you have access to breakfast and lunch in the charming Il Adagio!

I'll be sailing the SUN again in November, so am also interested in this thread. We're in an aft Penthouse Suite, so get breakfast and lunch for the suites, but I have one question: where is Il Adagio? I've just searched the deck plans, and can't find it. I thought you were talking about the tapas bar, but that is named Las Ramblas. Is this the same place but the name has changed? I remember reading that B & L aren't in Cagneys on the Sun, so want to be sure I know where I'm going, because I look forward to breakfast there every day if I'm in a suite. ;-)

Thanks!

Edited by planma'am

Looks like most of your questions have been answered, so I'll just focus on the Kids Club. My girls were not big fans of the Sun's "Splash Academy" (and they were 6 & 9 when we sailed). It didn't have as many features as other ships and there also weren't a lot of kids on board. Over thanksgiving, you'll likely have more kids, but that won't change the type of facility (unless its been significantly upgraded since 2012).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be sailing the SUN again in November' date=' so am also interested in this thread. We're in an aft Penthouse Suite, so get breakfast and lunch for the suites, but I have one question: where is Il Adagio? I've just searched the deck plans, and can't find it. I thought you were talking about the tapas bar, but that is named Las Ramblas. Is this the same place but the name has changed? I remember reading that B & L aren't in Cagneys on the Sun, so want to be sure I know where I'm going, because I look forward to breakfast there every day if I'm in a suite. ;-)

Thanks![/quote']

They changed the name to La Cucina and it is on the deck 5 starboard side.

They changed the name to La Cucina and it is on the deck 5 starboard side.

Yes, this was changed after my original post. Even by another name by ambiance hopefully remains the same.

Can't speak with any specific Sun experience at Thanksgiving but we did sail a number of years ago on Star. Thanksgiving dinner was served in the MDRs. While tasty, it was a little fancified (is that a word?). That evening we discovered that the buffet served a more traditional Thanksgiving offering. We enjoyed a turkey/cranberry/stuffing sandwich. If we ever sail at Thanksgiving again, I plan on eating my meal from the buffet in The Great Outdoors.

Have a great cruise!

Here is a video of the "Great Outdoor" on the Sun

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Doughboy139/media/20100804044909.mp4.html

here is the "Sports Bar" which is open from 5:30 pm to 5:30 am

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Doughboy139/media/SailawayHelsinki044.mp4.html

Here is the Buffet area

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Doughboy139/media/20100812124757.mp4.html

You may also wish to try Moderno, for breakfast, on the Sun. They have a waffle and omelet station, as well as a selection of fruits, breads, and breakfast fish.

Is Moderno breakfast for everyone or just for suite guest?

You can go down stairs near Windjammer. Or just cut thru Four Seasons to avoid the stairs if you wish.

Windjammer...wow, I can remember it was called the Windjammer back in the 80's. Bringing back memories... :)

Is Moderno breakfast for everyone or just for suite guest?

Moderno's breakfast bar is for everyone - it is overflow for the buffet. The buffet space from what I've read is smaller than it is on the Dawn and Jewel class ships so the Moderno space is used to help out. The suites have breakfast and lunch in La Cucina.

We are on the Sun after you are and are anxiously awaiting your review later this year since the ship will not be going into dry dock until sometime in 2016.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Moderno's breakfast bar is for everyone - it is overflow for the buffet. The buffet space from what I've read is smaller than it is on the Dawn and Jewel class ships so the Moderno space is used to help out. The suites have breakfast and lunch in La Cucina.

We are on the Sun after you are and are anxiously awaiting your review later this year since the ship will not be going into dry dock until sometime in 2016.

So do you get the food from the buffet and take it in there? Or do they have food in there (or is it just the omlet bar they have in there)?

I know that some of the other ships use La Cucina as a place to eat breakfast for an over flow and you bring the food in from the buffet. (If I remember right, they did have drinks in there but that was it).