Tips for masking marks/scarring without using foundation?

Beezle82

Ladies - does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to hide (or at least minimalize) dark marks and/or acne scarring without having to use heavy makeups? I have a lot of dark marks/scars on my face from acne and I'm really self-conscious about them :( Normally I wear a full-coverage foundation and concealer to cover them up, but it's all very thick, heavy stuff that is not at all conducive for a cruise vacation! Any ideas, tips, tricks, thoughts, etc as to what I could use for a lightweight coverage that would still allow my face to get some sunshine and not look like I'm wearing a face full of makeup?

I'd start by treating the issue with a product like Mederma for the scarring and a skin care product for the dark spots--I recommend Kiehl's and Murad brands. Also try a daily use facial scrub to help brighten your skin.

To be honest I think foundation make up can actually make things more noticeable. I stopped using foundation about six years ago and now use a Kabuki brush to apply a very light face powder (I'm partial to SmashBox lately, but Lancome also makes a good one) over my skin before I put on blush and other makeup. It looks much more natural, primes the skin so the blush goes on effortlessly, evens skin tones, and hides minor imperfections.

Maybe give that a try and see what you think. :)

Dermablend makes lighter weight versions that still provide good coverage even if using only a small amount and it's long lasting. I don't know of anything other than a cosmetic that would cover a scar.

Edited by 092306

I would go to a good department store or specialty retailer like Ulta or Sephora and see what they might recommend. They will apply makeup for you to see what works. Often they will give samples if you are concerned about allergic reactions.

I use Bare Mineral brand and it works well at hiding minor imperfections without being too heavy.

Mary Lou

Go to your dermatologist! Atralin is a retin A product that has moisturizer in it and helps get rid of some of the surface stuff on your face. There is also a new product that is available called SolarazeGel. It has worked wonders on the backs of my hands to get rid of dark spots and bumps from years of sun damage.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will check out some of these products. Eventually I would love to get some micro-dermabrasion done. But with the cruise only being about 6 weeks away, I'm afraid I don't really have the time - or the funds! Gotta save every spare penny for the cruise. ;)

How about trying a pale coloured fake tan lotion to build up a healthy colour, that should mask a lot of the marks, my daughter is going to have to wear some foundation to mask scars, she has bought a gel foundation from Atelier Paris, it seems to be doing the trick and is waterproof.

How about trying a pale coloured fake tan lotion to build up a healthy colour, that should mask a lot of the marks, my daughter is going to have to wear some foundation to mask scars, she has bought a gel foundation from Atelier Paris, it seems to be doing the trick and is waterproof.

That's a good idea! I didn't think of that. But if I did my face, then I'd have to do my entire body, too, which could be kind of a pain. Might be worth it though, I'll have to research some good self-tanners.