NCL Gem.. 10 more days! Any timely info/tips?

NotMyRealName

We are finally down to the 10 day countdown for our spring break cruise with the kids. This will be our first time sailing from New York so we are going to experience a number of "firsts". Curious if there is anyone on here who has some very recent experience on Gem and may have tips or helpful info that would be of benefit to know about.

We are staying in family suite 11512... Anyone know who the butler or concierge will be?

We're on the port side so we'll need to establish a better spot to view lady liberty during the sailaway. Any tips?

We've been on the pearl and jewel some time ago so we're somewhat familiar with the layout. UDP in hand so we're looking forward to some great food and interacting with the typical 1st class NCL staff. Wishing for upgrade fairy but that would require a family dropping out of a Haven suite (doubtful). ANy recent info would be greatly appreciated!

PS Yes yes I know use the search function. I'm looking for current info and frankly the primary search function on this site sucks. Can't wait to see them restore the proper forums search function.

Your suite is beautiful :) we were in 11530 just about a week ago. The concierge is Pearl and she is absolutely fantastic; best concierge we have ever had. I bet she will remember us, we had lots of fun times joking around with her and Karel.

We loved the spa for viewing Lady Liberty and for pulling into port.

Any other questions, please fire away!

Sorry, no tips, since I will not be sailing until 3/8 myself. However, just a note that my office window in NY looks out over the Hudson and the cruise piers and it was incredibly exciting to see the Gem in port today and watch her sail away this afternoon -- knowing that the next time she leaves on a 9-day, we'll be aboard!!!!!!

Since you are in a suite, you want to go to Cagney's for lunch when you board (and as many other days as you want). I loved their 2 salads to start lunch and alternated them throughout the week .... and maybe eating a lot of salad made me feel less guilty!! The one was with asparagus and mushroom, the other had a tropical twist with orange and hearts of palm.

If you haven't tried Moderno, we thought it was excellent (very salty, but delicious). Have a bottle of water in your room that night!

If you are interested in excursions, say so, as a couple of ours were fantastic!

Sailing away from NYC is so cool. Try to be outside on one of the top decks for sailaway (unless too cold) as there is a lot to see on both sides of the ship. Don't miss Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on the starboard side of the ship about 20 minutes after leaving the dock. And going under the Verrazano bridge never gets old for me.

Breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a nice suite perk, but the menu will be the same every day. I like the variety on their buffet.

HAVE FUN!!

Edited by mizlorinj

Got off the Gem yesterday.

Ship is very nice, clean. All day long the crew is cleaning something or the other.

Garden buffet is a bit crowded. Great Outdoors is the place to be! Bliss Lounge looked like a casbah! The Sheik was missing though!;):D

Don't miss the show World Beats. Entertainment is OK, not as great as it was on the Sun, but not bad either. Chip Romero is very good.

Samana Bay is full of whales and we saw them in the distance when leaving Samana. Stay on the starboard side to watch. Went to Cayo Levantado......thrilling boat ride (like the Beast) and great place to chill out.

Dining room service is up in the air:rolleyes: Food is Ok, the usual cruise ship fare, but really really salty.

Had the best room attendant, Marvin. We had a balcony on deck 10 with very quiet non smoking neighbors on both sides.

Your suite is beautiful :) we were in 11530 just about a week ago. The concierge is Pearl and she is absolutely fantastic; best concierge we have ever had. I bet she will remember us, we had lots of fun times joking around with her and Karel.

We loved the spa for viewing Lady Liberty and for pulling into port.

Any other questions, please fire away!

Have read a lot a great things about Pearl...anxious to meet her. You mention Karel, was that your butler? Just wondering who we may have as a butler. We will be on the Gem on 3/17 for the second time. Glad you had a great cruise.

No, Karel is the daytime hostess at Cagney's and the evening hostess at Moderno. We would often see Pearl during the day outside of Cagney's.

We rarely saw our butler and I'm having trouble even remembering his name. They do have a lot of rooms to tend to so I guess they can only be attentive to so many (and we weren't one of them). We aren't the type to eat in the room though so we never asked for room service. For us, he was a real weak link.

We also saw whales in Samana ... both from the tenders and from the Gem pulling out of port! Definitely, be outside and looking when leaving Samana.

I will echo that the food is salty. It's common enough with restaurant food but this was a little over, especially it seemed in Moderno. Delicious, but salty. Always have a water bottle at the ready in your room!