Caribbean last 2 weeks of August - weather advice?

DaisyDoo246

Pretty much that really. We did the freedom the last week of October and the weather was fab. However, after the shock of the Anthem prices the caribbean with a back to back is looking favourite.

Would be interested to hear on any weather advice for that time.

Many thanks

Pretty much that really. We did the freedom the last week of October and the weather was fab. However, after the shock of the Anthem prices the caribbean with a back to back is looking favourite.

Many thanks

It will be hot and usually very nice. Always the chance of rain (that is the height of hurricane season) but that usually passes quickly. I would not be overly concerned with hurricanes, however, as just because that is the season does not mean they will occur.

Enjoy!

Many thanks

We took Allure the first week of September on the Eastern Caribbean. It was quite hot, but at that time of year the ports were not busy. Took Jewel to the Southern Caribbean the last week of August, it wasn't very busy in port either, but it was hot, hot, hot...but with a nice tradewind. When possible, I prefer later, but then I'm not a hot and humid kinda girl!

Many thanks

We had fabulous weather last year (very hot); we did a B2B (Oasis then En) after spending a few days in Orlando first. It was very humid in The Bahamas though.

I agree about the prices. We're sailing on another B2B this Easter from FLL as it's cheaper to fly to the US and cruise from Florida ;).

Btw, check the flight prices as they drop around 17th August ;).

It will be hot and usually very nice. Always the chance of rain (that is the height of hurricane season) but that usually passes quickly. I would not be overly concerned with hurricanes, however, as just because that is the season does not mean they will occur.
If a hurricane does occur then you may end up in different ports than you booked. I think this is a wise decision by the cruise line for both safety and seasickness. The worst disruption would be if the hurricane impacts your origination/termination port; possible to have departures delayed by one or more days, or have your cruise extended for a few days (darn:rolleyes:) as the ship waits for the storm to move away from the port.

Thom

At that time of year the only thing you can count on is that it will be hot and humid. There is one alternative that will enhance your chance of having a hurricane free vacation. Take a deep southern Caribbean itinerary. Hurricanes seldom go that far south. You would have to sail out of Puerto Rico or Panama, but it may be worthwhile to do so. That said, I took three seven day cruises out of Ft Lauderdale to the eastern and western Caribbean last August and September and had beautiful weather all three weeks.

As a lifelong Floridian I can tell you that hurricane season questions should come with the disclaimer that an investment prospectus comes with... past performance is not indicative of future returns.

In other words, regardless of what happened in years past, it's better to have the mindset that WILL be a hurricane if you book during hurricane season and that ports may be skipped or changed. So don't book a cruise for specific ports, in order to avoid potential disappointment.

As a lifelong Floridian I can tell you that hurricane season questions should come with the disclaimer that an investment prospectus comes with... past performance is not indicative of future returns.

In other words, regardless of what happened in years past, it's better to have the mindset that WILL be a hurricane if you book during hurricane season and that ports may be skipped or changed. So don't book a cruise for specific ports, in order to avoid potential disappointment.

I think that's a great way to approach cruising during hurricane season. In 2005, our western Caribbean cruise was altered by "Wilma" and the ports in Jamaica and Cozumel were cancelled for us. We, instead, went to Key West and Costa Maya as replacement ports and we had a great time. :p

Edited by LarryL

I think that's a great way to approach cruising during hurricane season. In 2005, our western Caribbean cruise was altered by "Wilma" and the ports in Jamaica and Cozumel were cancelled for us. We, instead, went to Key West and Costa Maya as replacement ports and we had a great time. :p

It's not such an easy mindset for the planner types... and I admit I am one of those. Although the last couple years I've started taking a more laid back attitude toward life. Not sure if it was having kids, or going on cruises.

But other than hurricanes, yeah, it'll be pretty darn hot. So pray for those Caribbean breezes.

Generally it will be hot and humid. It might rain and then again it might not. There will always be a chance of rain due to the humidity. Hurricanes are a distinct possibility but if there is one the ship might alter the itinerary and will always avoid a hurricane at all costs.

We typically cruise either the first or second week of August, never found it any different than going a month earlier.

Just cross your fingers that the hurricane gods are on your side. I personally have never had any port changes or anything else due to them, and am not afraid to book travel during that time.

Oddly enough, I've been around during 2 hurricanes (In Outer Banks when Bertha hit, and in WDW when Charlie hit) but none while cruising.

Guaranteed to be hot and humid but beyond that it is a crap shoot. :)

One August trip (air/land) to Cozumel we ended up with an extra 3 days vacation. There was a storm and flooding in Houston so our flights were canceled and first available flight was three days away.

Darn, an extra 3 days of vacation. Called the lady taking care of my dogs and went back to the beach. :D

Edited by SPacificbound