Suite upsell offer criteria?

Paula_MacFan

My sapphire cruise on February 22nd is the second time I booked directly thru Princess and I got an upsell. Prior to that I used a TA and ever saw one. I know on HAL booking directly with Hal increases the chance of seeing an upsell. I wonder if this is true with Princess.

My sapphire cruise on February 22nd is the second time I booked directly thru Princess and I got an upsell. Prior to that I used a TA and ever saw one. I know on HAL booking directly with Hal increases the chance of seeing an upsell. I wonder if this is true with Princess.
Our upsell offer last year was on a cruise booked with a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Several times I have seen others post emails with the same wording as the one posted by critterchick. "Special offer for past passengers in mini-suites."

I get the impression that it is offered to all past passengers without regard to when one booked, how much one paid, or what one's loyalty status is. I think it depends on how quickly one can respond.

If that is true, then I guess someone could book a really cheap flash rate and then end up in a suite for a few dollars more. Hasn't happened to me. Anyone else?

We had a great price drop, so ended up paying $100 less for the suite than we had originally paid for our minisuite. I suspect that a lot of people aren't aware of price drops, so their offer would have meant that they were paying close to $1000, which might have turned them off to the idea. Lucky for us, since I got the email so late (5 minutes before the offer expired).

And we are booked through a TA (me).

Thank you to the posters that encouraged me to pursue this with Princess. I did get my extra point and I'm happy to say I'm now elite!!!!!!! Thank you Princess :)!!!!!

Congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...
I think they upgrade or offer upsells for suites to new people rather than us old timers because they know we probably won't ever pay the price for one. And even if the new cruisers don't book a suite in the near future, they are so happy with Princess, that they will book again and again.

Not true. We have 11 Princess cruises, half of which have been 14 days or more, and are about to take our 12th next week. We got an upsell offer for this one from an IA to a BV, and got to choose one with a large balcony.

We have also had 3 straight-out free upgrades on others.

We also had a move-over offer for our Greek Isles cruise last year which offered us a full refund, the same itinerary for free on another date and our airfare (Princess Air) taken care of. We turned it down because the offer came the night before we were flying over and 1) it was too late to adjust all our land-based plans and 2) we wanted the warmer weather the October cruise offered over the November date.

Whether or not you get an offer relates more to the demand for the cabin that you are booked in than your status. If they know they can re-sell that cabin, often for more than what you paid, then they'll give you an offer.

I think they upgrade or offer upsells for suites to new people rather than us old timers because they know we probably won't ever pay the price for one. And even if the new cruisers don't book a suite in the near future, they are so happy with Princess, that they will book again and again.

I would have to agree with you on this, however the upsell part is not an upgrade IMO.

We have seen time and time again new cruisers to Princess getting upgrades to suites.

Newbies, once they get that upgrade the majority are hooked! :(

As of today at 63 days out, on Princess' website it shows 15 full balcony suites available and 4 window suites. There are 32 mini's on Dolphin and 5 mini's on Emerald.

I usually look every day and the suites have remained about the same level of unsold for the past few months. I have noticed for sailings later in the year, most of the suites are sold out.

I am keeping my fingers crossed! I will be happy with our mini, but would sure take a full suite upsell in a heartbeat:)

Here is hoping that you receive what you are looking for~~~ "An Upsell Offer!"

One thing that I found after checking my bookings. We only received upsells after we had paid in full for the mini-suites. ;) Most of the time we pay in full shortly after booking. Don't know if this had anything to do with the upsell offers or not. :confused: Worth mentioning though. :eek:

Here is hoping that you receive what you are looking for~~~ "An Upsell Offer!"

Thanks! We are down to 38 days now. I've been checking Princess' website everyday, and there are still a multitude of suites available. The price has dropped way down on mini's though, so not sure if that will help or hurt. Either way, I'll be happy since we do have a nice cabin booked.

• 11 months later...
I am doing a California coastal in May, today I was able to take advantage of an upsell offer and move from a mini to a Penthouse Suite for 399 pp. I am very excited. :D

We were offered an "upsell" for our upcoming April Mexican Riviera cruise, which cost us $449.00 each to move from an MB mini suite to a Penthouse suite.

Thanks to those that have said that they called back to get the extra point. I was told we would not get a second point, but we paid what they asked us to pay, so it seems that they should give us the second point.

Rick

We were offered an "upsell" for our upcoming April Mexican Riviera cruise, which cost us $449.00 each to move from an MB mini suite to a Penthouse suite.

Thanks to those that have said that they called back to get the extra point. I was told we would not get a second point, but we paid what they asked us to pay, so it seems that they should give us the second point.

Check with the Captain's Circle rep on your cruise. If that does not work out, call Princess again after the cruise.

The email that I received for our cruise on Thursday said:

PRINCESS CRUISES ANNOUNCES A SPECIAL OFFER FOR CAPTAIN CIRCLE MEMBERS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE STATEROOM ON THE MARCH 27,2014 SAPPHIRE PRINCESS SAILING.

The cruise was showing waitlisted in all categories, and we had a guarantee. But everybody is a Captain's Circle member as soon as they book their first cruise, even if they don't take it - Princess will assign the number right away. They were just trying to free up minisuites for the guarantees, I think.

You actually do need to be repeat passenger to get an upsell. You really don't become a Captain Circle member until you have sailed once. I had my TA checking on an upsell for a family member and the individual indicated that they are currently only offering them to "Captain Circle members" meaning that you would have had to sail at least once to get the offer.

It may change in the future but right now, it is only for Captain Circle members.

It may change in the future but right now, it is only for Captain Circle members.

Which could easily be for 75% and up of the passengers on the cruise or in the category to whom it is being offered.

Not exactly an exclusive offer.

Which could easily be for 75% and up of the passengers on the cruise or in the category to whom it is being offered.

Not exactly an exclusive offer.

I agree. I was just dealing with this for a sibling recently who is new to Princess. Someone else posted that once you are booked "you are a captain circle member so it would apply to everyone". As of right now, upsells are only offered to repeat passengers.

The Wife & I are on a 7 day Western Caribbean departing Houston on 4/5/2015. Monday (3/23) we received a FREE upgrade from a Mini-Suite to a Penthouse Suite. I had noticed a couple days earlier that the only category that was sold-out on our cruise was the Mini-Suites, so I'm sure that's why.

Now we're just trying to find out all of the Suite benefits.

We were offered an upsell to a mini from a balcony, but we didn;t take it....and the upsell was very cheap...The balcony was an aft balcony....no way I was giving up that...Now, if they offered a full suite aft....I would snap that up in a New York minute....:)

The Wife & I are on a 7 day Western Caribbean departing Houston on 4/5/2015. Monday (3/23) we received a FREE upgrade from a Mini-Suite to a Penthouse Suite. I had noticed a couple days earlier that the only category that was sold-out on our cruise was the Mini-Suites, so I'm sure that's why.

Now we're just trying to find out all of the Suite benefits.

Lucky you!! ;) We will be on the same cruise, (see you there), and we just got the upsell call, mini to suite, said no thanks. They wanted $349/each. Too much we thought. Told our TA free upgrade, yes, or 199/ we would take it. We are on a B2B, and even Princess makes it easy we do not like to move.

You will enjoy the suite, they do spoil you.