Help re:travel documents

Sparkygirl

My grandmother is 97, she just recently mentioned she would like to go on a cruise. We are booked on the Breakaway March 16, 2014 it is a short notice trip due to her age, health and cost factors. All other members of the traveling party are traveling on passports.

We have a certified copy of her birth certificate from 1916, her social security card issued in 1936 and her state issued ID card issued in 2014. We are now concerned looking at all of these documents that her name is spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate, her social security card is in her maiden name and her ID is in her married name. She has an expired passport in the name that matches her State issued ID. How strict are they going to be about the documents knowing that we are dealing with nearly a century old records?

They're going to be pretty strict in that all travel document names must match and match the booking name.

Perhaps its time to start looking into an expididited passport renewal. If go this route, be sure the name matches the booking.

Edited by triptolemus

They're going to be pretty strict in that all travel document names must match and match the booking name.

Perhaps its time to start looking into an expididited passport renewal. If go this route, be sure the name matches the booking.

Not so, the Identification document must match the booking name but not the document presented to verify citizenship, which in this case is a birth certificate.

OP, bringing her marriage license will bridge the ID and the birth cert but she may not actually have to produce it.

While my documents are nearly that old (yet) I have my license in my married name, so obviously my birth certificate is not. I brought my marriage license but was never asked for it.

As others noted, you don't need your social security card and if her birth certificate is misspelled, it may not be an issue since it is an older document and (at least in my case) they never even asked to see my marriage certificate. (I did bring it with me).

I only showed my license and birth certificate. My married name was on my travel docs from NCL

Hope this helps!

just make sure her booking name matches her current valid state ID, and bring the birth certificate as proof of citizenship. The birth dates will match even if there's a misspelling of the name. Bringing the expired passport won't bridge the names, but wouldn't hurt to have it.

Leave the SS card at home

Should be no problem

Edited by sdmike

My grandmother is 97, she just recently mentioned she would like to go on a cruise. We are booked on the Breakaway March 16, 2014 it is a short notice trip due to her age, health and cost factors. All other members of the traveling party are traveling on passports.

We have a certified copy of her birth certificate from 1916, her social security card issued in 1936 and her state issued ID card issued in 2014. We are now concerned looking at all of these documents that her name is spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate, her social security card is in her maiden name and her ID is in her married name. She has an expired passport in the name that matches her State issued ID. How strict are they going to be about the documents knowing that we are dealing with nearly a century old records?

She sounds like a serious security risk and should not be allowed to cruise....97 year old grandmas with documents that old are clearly terrorists....oh my Gawd! Just think....FUN could be had!!!! :eek: (Seriously - I HATE our Customs and Immigration system...so stupid.)

Seriously, I don't think you will have a problem. In 2002, my ex-husband and I took his mother with us, and she had far more documentation issues than this...she was also...*gulp*...a foriegner! Her documents were from Scandanavia and they were quite old also, but they were also in Swedish.

It was all fine. We used her State issued ID (California) along with her expired passport, and we took her to the Caribbean....she had the time of her life and after the life she had lived, she DESERVED it. She passed away a few years ago, still talking about it right up to the end. (Even after he and I divorced, I kept in touch with her.) She had so much fun, she booked another by herself on Windstar and came home raving about it.

As long as the cruise line accepts it, (and I think they will) Go and have a good time. My only other suggestion would be to get a letter from her doctor stating that she is healthy and fit and be sure to keep a list of any medications she takes so that in case something happens, you will have the list with you for the ship's doctor.

Happy cruising and give your grandmother a huge hug --- she deserves a cruise and deserves to be pampered.

Edited by artist47