Pocket knife taken on recent cruise!

SRV FAN

Now we know why they dont put pens in the cabins anymore! :mad::o:p:D

Where I use to work we had to do our paperwork in pencil. A guy's pencil went rolling off his work table and when he went to grab it, it stabbed him and the point broke off in his hand. So, what did work do? They confinscated all pencils and made us use pens. After a month or so, after they got tired of trying to see the right numbers through all the mistakes did they give us back our pencils.

Also, this company does not allow knives on the work floor but what did they give out as a little safety gift??????? Yep, you guessed it, a really cool pocket knife

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Two inch blade on his knife.... over 4 inch blade on my scissors... (I got to keep them).........

Maybe I'll try taking my little keychain Swiss Army knife, and if they question it point out to them that it contains a pair of scissors, definitely with blade length less than 4 inches, and therefore should be allowed by their rule! :)

My husbands pocket knife (4" opened) was confiscated on our last sailing on the Navigator OT Seas back in Feb. One of our bags never made it to our room (first time EVER)...finally we asked (no one said a word) our steward where might our bag be? He said to go to security. Sure enough...there it was, we had to open it & they removed the knife & kept it for the whole cruise.

Now, I'd get it if it were a LARGE pocket knife.... but one this small? Really? Especially since, in that same bag I had a pair of sharp scissors they didn't take! ????????????? This also was the first time EVER that rum runners weren't in our bags! CRAZY!

We'd have left it with them (because claiming it after the cruise was a REAL pain) but it was given to my husband by our granddaughter & he NEVER goes anywhere without it. Guess we'll leave it at home next time & take a less significant one in case it gets taken. :eek:

So, be warned.....

Obviously you have not been on an airplane since 911.

Baltimore is the only port where we've had an issue with a small pocketknife. DH took it back to our car that one time. It had been allowed at other ports (PC for sure). He never hid it. It was in his pocket so he put it in the tray that went through the x-ray machine. Now, he just never travels with it at all. I do keep a pair of blunt nose children's nail scissors in my toiletry bag in case we need to cut a tag or something. I do think worrying about pocketknives is overkill when you can get a knife or fork in the windjammer:rolleyes: The reality is, you can kill someone with a spoon if you really try. I am a rule follower, but this one really makes little sense when you can also get a free corkscrew onboard that can do a lot more damage than a 2-3" knife blade. I honestly think it was just easier for them to ban all knives than have to measure every single one they encounter.

Edited by BND

It is just a rule people. Get a grip. Obey the rules or don't cruise......

Oh gimme a break. RCCL is so inconsistent with rules and their enforcement it's laughable. They don't take their own policies seriously so why would anyone else?

Tiny pocket knife? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Welcome to dinner, here's your serrated steak knife, specially designed for cutting animal flesh.

Tiny travel iron? FIRE HAZARD! DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT!

Curling irons, straightening irons, crimpers, butane lighters? Yes of course, right this way!

Oh gimme a break. RCCL is so inconsistent with rules and their enforcement it's laughable. They don't take their own policies seriously so why would anyone else?

Tiny pocket knife? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Welcome to dinner, here's your serrated steak knife, specially designed for cutting animal flesh.

Tiny travel iron? FIRE HAZARD! DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT!

Curling irons, straightening irons, crimpers, butane lighters? Yes of course, right this way!

LOL! Good points!

Okay! Okay! Obviously MOST of you totally missed MY point!

1) we DID NOT know he couldn't take the knife, as I said he ALWAYS carrys it (and not for protection or to stab anyone -sheesh!) please forgive me for not reading all the RULES! And he packed it away, as he always packs it when we fly.

2) he has brought it on ALL other 7 cruises. No issues.

3) this is main one..... I HAD SCISSORS bigger that they saw & didn't do anything about!

4) I was only trying to give a heads up to others who might not know (like us!!) that they are taking peoples knives now, so they won't have to go thru the hassles we did.

This is really NOT the big deal everyone is making it & I wish now I could delete it, cuz y'all are attacking me for just being stupid! :-(

Thanks to the kind ones of you that have posted nice things & understand what I posted in the beginning.

Please everyone calm down.... I didn't mean to start a flame war... Especially directed at myself! Sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why do you need to take a knife at all? We've never traveled with a knife. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that they took it, especially if they gave it back at the end.

Are you ok with someone using a knife to cut food? Or is this too scary for you? A knife is a tool especially for someone scuba diving or renting a sailboat like we did in Bermuda (we brought our own inflatable PFDs too) last year.

Some of us still have fire extingushers, shovels, and other tools in our vehicles as well. But I guess us self-reliant Neanderthals do that kind of thing.

Well.... We DID have a problem with it...... glad it didn't bother you tho. ;-)

Guess it's a GUY thing, IDK........ as I said my husband NEVER goes anywhere without a pocket knife. It does come in handy at times when you need to cut something....... open something..... and as another poster said..... there are always knives on the ship.... steak knives, forks, etc ....and all MUCH longer than his tiny little pocket knife.

Plus I ALWAYS pack scissors........... again much larger than his tiny pocket knife.

Yes, they DID give it back....but it was a REAL pain to claim it.

It's the principle of it......... that's all. :rolleyes:

I wasn't thinking in Alaska when I bought a key chain with a miniature ulu knife on it. It was confiscated when I came back on board. I filled out a ticket, they gave me the stub and put my key chain in an envelope. When I got off the ship, my envelope was on a table right inside the terminal. Easy as pie!

Okay! Okay! Obviously MOST of you totally missed MY point!

1) we DID NOT know he couldn't take the knife, as I said he ALWAYS carrys it (and not for protection or to stab anyone -sheesh!) please forgive me for not reading all the RULES! And he packed it away, as he always packs it when we fly.

2) he has brought it on ALL other 7 cruises. No issues.

3) this is main one..... I HAD SCISSORS bigger that they saw & didn't do anything about!

4) I was only trying to give a heads up to others who might not know (like us!!) that they are taking peoples knives now, so they won't have to go thru the hassles we did.

This is really NOT the big deal everyone is making it & I wish now I could delete it, cuz y'all are attacking me for just being stupid! :-(

Thanks to the kind ones of you that have posted nice things & understand what I posted in the beginning.

Please everyone calm down.... I didn't mean to start a flame war... Especially directed at myself! Sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think everyone needs a vacation from this nasty winter. It's getting to them. :p:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

Yes, rules are rules even when they are silly and unevenly or inconsistently applied. Mistake made and the OP has moved on.

Just a random observation:

With the exception of a few posters, one can almost predict what the general response will be based on if they are coming from posters in a Blue State or Red State. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Yep, that's the ticket! - Jon Lovitz ;)

Edited by Brigbound

We might as well have some fun with this one (without flaming anybody).

I tend to have a more Libertarian look at such things. You stay out of my pockets and I'll stay out of yours. But a few crazy people screw it up for the rest of us.

I have to remember to not only leave my blade at home, but my holster and its contents as well. Leaves me feeling rather undressed for a day or two.

Oh well. I can think of worse things. Like staying home. ;)

Obviously you have not been on an airplane since 911.

It was in his checked luggage, so OBVIOUSLY, they have probably been on an airplane since 911.

I just don't understand all the hate over a simple post. They did not know it was prohibited, made a post so that maybe others that did not know would have a heads up.

OP I'm sorry you had to endure the running of the bulls on this thread. My DH had his Swiss Army Knife confiscated on our cruise earlier this month. But it was his own fault. We had no problems boarding. Both of us had small swiss army knives in our toiletry bags in our checked luggage. Why did we have them? Besides the fact that we always have them, the screwdriver has come in handy on many occasions. As has the corkscrew and scissors.

But dumba$$ forgot to leave it in our cabin before getting off for a port excursion.:rolleyes: So you guessed it- when we returned to the ship he set of all the bells, whistles, and alarms.

My point is that this rule is not consistently applied-we had no problems bringing ours aboard, but you did. This information may be of value to someone else who might find themselves in a similar situation.

In the sauna? :confused:

Don't they have rocks in there?

Come to think of it, I did see a horse getting a hot rock massage in the spa. Maybe a rock fell off his rump and he stepped on it on his way out. That could account for the stone in his hoof; could it not? Never mind, my wife just reminded me that I only saw the south end of a horse getting a massage. I guess you are correct, it must have been the sauna.