4 Questions - First time on Caribbean Princess

marjosagb

7 of us are on the Caribbean Princess on April 19th and just have a few questions...

-In Roatan does the ship dock at Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole?

-With Anytime Dining can you make reservations ahead of time, or is it best to go to the dining room when we first get on the ship to make them? Also, can we request the same table for multiple nights?

-On formal nights will men be allowed into the dining room with a dress shirt, slacks, and tie? Or is a suit jacket mandatory?

-Besides the MDR, where can you get made-to-order omelettes for breakfast?

Thanks!! :cool:

7 of us are on the Caribbean Princess on April 19th and just have a few questions...

Sorry, never been to Roatan so don't know.

-With Anytime Dining can you make reservations ahead of time, or is it best to go to the dining room when we first get on the ship to make them?

Yes, either way. Or, you can call the DINE line from any phone and make reservations.

Also, can we request the same table for multiple nights? Yes

-On formal nights will men be allowed into the dining room with a dress shirt, slacks, and tie? Or is a suit jacket mandatory?

Generally a jacket is required, but this can vary from ship to ship.

-Besides the MDR, where can you get made-to-order omelettes for breakfast? Horizon Court (buffet)

Have you joined your roll call? I would have checked, but search is turned off.

Have a great cruise.

In Roatan does the ship dock at Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole? -- Mahogany Bay, but, the ship has to back in about 1 mile, so if the winds are too strong, or coming the 'wrong' direction, sometimes they have to skip the port. I've been twice and both times we backed right in.

dress shirt, slacks, and tie are generally ok for formal dining night. Some wear a Tux, some a jacket, some nice shirt and tie. Smart casual with a tie is minimal. Less? the buffet is always open. I take my Tux since it's really one of the few times I get to wear it, and I'm dollar-cost-averging.

Enjoy your cruise!

Should be Mahogany Bay, this is the Carnival Holding Corp Line's private beach and shopping area. It's a very nice beach. NCL will be at Coxen Hole

-With Anytime Dining can you make reservations ahead of time, or is it best to go to the dining room when we first get on the ship to make them? Also, can we request the same table for multiple nights?

You can only make ATD dining reservations once you board. See the Head Waiter once you board since you are a party of 7, or call the DINE Line once on board. They will work with you.

Suit/Sport Jacket not mandatory, but most men do have a jacket on. Some will have the jacket collared shirt and no tie.

Horizon Ct. Buffet has an omelett station where you can get made to order omelettes. They may also be available in the Cafe Caribe which is another buffet area just aft of the Horizon Ct.

See above

Hey there! I just wanted to say my husband and I will be on the same sailing! If you have not already joined the roll call on here there is one. only 51 more days! It is our first time on Princess too!

Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize the ship docks at Mahogany Bay, and that there is a nice beach right there.

We were planning on making our way over to West Bay Beach for the day to do some beach lounging and snorkelling. Figured it would be around $20pp for transportation, plus another $15-20pp for snorkel / lounge chair rentals.

But now I am wondering if we should just spend the day at Mahogany Beach instead, which also looks really nice and could be less expensive.

-Is there decent beach snorkelling (and gear rentals) there?

-If you pay for the aerial chairlift to get to the beach, are loungers included or an additional cost?

Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize the ship docks at Mahogany Bay, and that there is a nice beach right there.

We were planning on making our way over to West Bay Beach for the day to do some beach lounging and snorkelling. Figured it would be around $20pp for transportation, plus another $15-20pp for snorkel / lounge chair rentals.

But now I am wondering if we should just spend the day at Mahogany Beach instead, which also looks really nice and could be less expensive.

-If you pay for the aerial chairlift to get to the beach, are loungers included or an additional cost?

This is a very very nice beach and you can see it if you Google it. You can take the chair lift over if you want, there is a charge, but it's really just a gimmick. The walk is very short over a small bridge about 5 mins. They do have snorkelling and other water activities, but since I don't snorkel I can not verify how good it is. There are lots and lots of free loungers in the sun and shade, and you will be the only ship there. The ship is docked, so it's walk off in your swim wear. At the rear of the beach is an open air beach bar and restaurant. Food and drink are not included. When I was there you had to pay, cruise cards don't work. There is also a nice shopping area with shops and another lively bar. West End is nice, but why bother to go there. We were in Roatan a few years ago on Easter week and West End was so crowded the police would not allow the taxi to enter down the hill to the beach area.

Hope this information is helpful.

-With Anytime Dining can you make reservations ahead of time, or is it best to go to the dining room when we first get on the ship to make them? Also, can we request the same table for multiple nights? What you are describing is traditional dining. Why don't you just go with that? You will not be able to make a reservation for the entire cruise. Anytime dining is usually done on a daily basis.

-On formal nights will men be allowed into the dining room with a dress shirt, slacks, and tie? Or is a suit jacket mandatory? Depends on the Maitre d, I have seen men turned away at the door on formal night because of no jacket. If you don't want to comply with the Princess dress requests there is always the buffet or specialty dining.

-Besides the MDR, where can you get made-to-order omelettes for breakfast? buffet

Mahogony Bay and as another posted said, the ship backs in and the port is frequently missed.

We were in Roatan a few years ago on Easter week and West End was so crowded the police would not allow the taxi to enter down the hill to the beach area.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks, this info about Easter week is particularly useful.

Mahogany beach does look really nice...a perfect free beach day steps away from the dock...but I'm still playing around with the idea of heading over to West Bay beach for some snorkeling, as I've heard it's ranked as one of the best spots in the Caribbean. If not, we'll definitely just walk over to the beach from the ship.

EddieCruzer - in regards to your comment about Anytime Dining...we went with anytime over traditional because A) there are a few nights we will likely not eat in the MDR, and B) because there are some nights we will eat early, and some where we will eat later. Traditional dining does not seem to give us this flexibility. Our last cruise was with RCI, and their anytime dining allowed us to make reservations for the different times we wanted, but at the same table. We got to know the waiters very well, but were not limited to the same time every evening. Was the best of both worlds for us, and I was hoping we could do the same with Princess. Based on what I am reading it seems like we will be able to do so once on board.

Sometimes it's easy to make a reservation for Anytime dining, sometimes it's not. It depends on the Maitre d'. There is no consistency. Some allow you to make a reservation for the same table at the same time every night, some for just that night, some for just before 6pm or after 8pm, and everything in-between. :( You can always ask but be forewarned that the Maitre d' may not allow you to book more than one night or for the time you want.

As for Mahogany Bay, it's delightful. :) We did take the aerial tram and it was a hoot. We got to see the island and area from a different perspective. It was cheaper to buy tickets directly rather than pre-reserve through Princess.

We found loungers in the shade, servers came and took our orders and delivered our food and drinks.

We are boarding the Caribbean for the second time this season in two days. Mahogany Bay is really quite nice and we are looking forward to it so hope the ship can get in to the bay. We have always walked over to the beach which is very close. Bars and restaurants are nice but they only take money and not sea card.

Minimum dress code for formal nights is a pair of pants (dockers will do) and a long sleeved shirt with collar. Coats and ties are not required but many do wear one or both. Personally I go for the pants and shirt alone and have never had a problem including our last cruise which was on the Royal last month.

There almost alway is line to get omelettes at the omelette station in the HC (buffet). Expect to wait a bit.

Thank you for this very useful thread.

I was wondering why I had been unsuccessful last year on the Crown when trying to reserve a table with our favourites waiters. So it was probably just that particular Head Waiters preference. I shall therefore ask the same question this time on the Emerald and see how I get on.

By the way as it was on the Crown I called the dine line daily to make a dinner reservation. This worked fine but you had to call very early. The tables went very quickly.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the info!

Mahgoany Bay was really nice, but the best snorkleing is at Tabyana Beach (sp). IT's about $40 pp round trip including beach loungers and transport. Food and drink are extra.

The CB has to back in to the port, and it's pretty narrow, so if it's windy they will skip it. We got in back in Jan, but I think we were one of the few that month. Enjoy.

I posted some patters from our cruise if you are interested.

http://salas.smartneighborhood.net/patters.html

The dining rooms are warm on most cruises.

DH and DS always removed jackets and threw over chairs before sitting down. So they just stopped packing the jacket. They wear dress shirt and tie. Have done this the past 4 or 5 cruises and have never had a problem.

Just was on Caribbean Princess 2/15 sailing.

We were told anytime dining reservations could only be made by passengers in suites at 8am each day.

If you go with traditional dining, you can still eat other places on some nights. We just inform our waiter the night prior that we will not be there the next day because we are dining at (Sabatinis-Steak House-wherever).

Perhaps go with Traditional Dining and use buffet or specialty rest on the few days your party wishes to eat later/ earlier.

DH's fav meal this trip started at Wine bar (free small plates appetizers) then buffet then International Cafe for dessert & coffee.

Mahgoany Bay was really nice, but the best snorkleing is at Tabyana Beach (sp). IT's about $40 pp round trip including beach loungers and transport. Food and drink are extra.

That's where I'd like to go. Looks gorgeous and I hear the snorkeling is some of the best (if not THE best) on the island. For $25pp + tip we might just book a private tour for the day, so that way we have full control of where/when we would like to go. Would also like to make a stop in the West End to do a bit of shopping.

As nice as Mahogany beach looks (and as convenient as it is), this is our first time to Roatan, and I feel like if we just spend the day there we might be selling ourselves short and not get a real feel of the island. It really does look like a perfect option for people looking for a relaxing beach day without having to take a taxi from the port.

I posted some patters from our cruise if you are interested.

http://salas.smartneighborhood.net/patters.html

I came across these a week ago before we booked, thanks very much for posting, very helpful!

One more question regarding dining - if we book the Traditional Dining, is there any way to request a table by the window for the week? Is this something we could try to request at the MDR when we first get on the ship?

Mahogany bay is really nice and you won't be selling yourself short. My kids (23 and 28) decided to take a taxi to 'town'. After about 3 hours, a $75 taxi bill, and seeing a bunch of trees, shrubs, a few houses and a lot of the inside of a taxi, they finally got back to Mahogany Bay.

As for snorkeling, we took a cat out on one of our trips down there and we had some of the best snorkeling ever. The ridgeline drops off from about 20 feet to 400 feet, and you can just swim right over. It's like you're in space. And, once your eyes adjust, you can see the bottom - at least we did - sunny day and clear (clear) water.

As for snorkeling, we took a cat out on one of our trips down there and we had some of the best snorkeling ever. The ridgeline drops off from about 20 feet to 400 feet, and you can just swim right over. It's like you're in space. And, once your eyes adjust, you can see the bottom - at least we did - sunny day and clear (clear) water.

I've read about that...sounds amazing, especially on a bright day.

Where did the cat take you?...was it the West Bay beach area?

Do you remember which company you hired?

I've read about that...sounds amazing, especially on a bright day.

Where did the cat take you?...was it the West Bay beach area?

Do you remember which company you hired?

It's been a few years - and I can't recall off-hand. But, I'll look around and if I can find more details I'll post them back here. It was really super snorkeling. Calm, clear and bright. Lots of coral, fish and the drop-off.

As nice as Mahogany beach looks (and as convenient as it is), this is our first time to Roatan, and I feel like if we just spend the day there we might be selling ourselves short and not get a real feel of the island.

For a great tour of Roatan with opportunities for (if you wish) shopping and beach, we suggest Michael at Roatan Trips & Tours. Contact roatantripsandtours@gmail.com with a web site at www.roatantripsandtours.com They can customize the day for what you want to do and are reasonably priced. You can say that cari and bill recommended them from 2/18/14.

For a great tour of Roatan with opportunities for (if you wish) shopping and beach, we suggest Michael at Roatan Trips & Tours. Contact roatantripsandtours@gmail.com with a web site at www.roatantripsandtours.com They can customize the day for what you want to do and are reasonably priced. You can say that cari and bill recommended them from 2/18/14.

Thanks!