Any future cruisers worried about Black Sea?

alexandra cruiser

and possible problems in some ports with this ongoing Ukraine?Russia?conflict.

I WAS going to book this,but am now holding off to see what happens.

Have similar concern about Venezuela,have cruise booked going to Isla Margarita ,but not till Nov.

Also, going on river cruise from Budapest to Bucharest(with Constanta,Black sea port) as excursion.Aways from there,but with crazy political probs.,,,always a little concerned.

Others share my feelings?:confused:

This question has occurred to me as well although since we did this cruise in 2012 it is more a question of idle interest than concern. But I don't know that I'd want to be in Odessa or Sevastopol right now! And we so enjoyed these ports in particular when we were there.

Mura

Know we ended up in Egypt many yrs.ago even with US travel warning issued same day.

Would really check my travel insurance,if booked on one.Just in case.

Guess I ll hold off on this one for awhile.

Interesting to see what the various cruise lines do in this case.:confused:

There have been a number of instances where planned ports of call to Egypt and/or Israel have been cancelled and replaced with other ports. Not all passengers were delighted when this happened! But with the Black Sea itinerary it's hard to see how you could change one or two ports. The area IS the itinerary.

I wouldn't book now either. Things may be calm in the summer, but I'd prefer to wait and see. This morning's news reports weren't very reassuring!

Mura

I had booked Oceania's July 19, 2014 Black Sea cruise last year but switched to the May 6 Lima to NYC cruise when the militants threatened disruption at the Sochi games. The current military activity taking place in Ukraine suggests more potential "issues" on this itinerary.

Edited by jgiblin

Turn on CNN and watch the UN proceedings and weep. Sounds like it won't be safe to go there for some time.

I don't know - watched the same thing and thought a diplomatic solution was possible. I know it must be hard if you are on a May sailing and looking at cancelling - but these things have a way of resolving.

As for safe, I wouldn't have an issue docking in one of the Crimean ports tomorrow. That's probably because we were on a ship that ported in Israel during the November 2012 situation. Watching CNN on the ship, just 10 hours before we ported, I was wondering if we would port. But, we did port and I was glad we did. Nothing more than very visible military and UN presence from the traveler's perspective.

I wouldn't worry about Constanta on the Black Sea at the end of a Danube cruise. Romania is not involved in this current situation.

there,if things get worse in Black Sea and not safe.

Sad because that's one of the reasons I booked it.

Just looking at map,it appears so close,got a little worried if condition escalates to war between Russian and Ukraine troops.Will keep checking news.

Would be very sad if I had booked the Kiev one,or Russian river for this yr.Sure many will cancel.:mad:

there,if things get worse in Black Sea and not safe.

Sad because that's one of the reasons I booked it.

Just looking at map,it appears so close,got a little worried if condition escalates to war between Russian and Ukraine troops.Will keep checking news.

Would be very sad if I had booked the Kiev one,or Russian river for this yr.Sure many will cancel.:mad:

Looking to go in 2015 so lets hope for the best. :):)

Yes, perhaps the war will be over by 2015. The Olympics are over. Putin no longer cares what the rest of the world thinks so he'll do what he wants to get Ukraine back in his fold. It's all a recipe for disaster.

Yes, perhaps the war will be over by 2015. The Olympics are over. Putin no longer cares what the rest of the world thinks so he'll do what he wants to get Ukraine back in his fold. It's all a recipe for disaster.

Sad, but so true. He had good training, being ex-KGB.

We did the Black Sea this past august. The highlights are the three ports in the Ukraine -- yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa. I do not see how that will be viable

Btw. I have been in egypt for past two weeks on the trip of a lifetime. No problems. Flying from Luxor to sharm el sheikh tomorrow. Planning to return in 2015

I had planned on the Oceania Black Sea cruise in 2015, I was going to do it as a B2B with the Viking River cruise some else mentioned from Budapest to Bucherest. But will not do the O cruise now. I have no desire to financially facilitate Putin and his band of thugs. The same goes for going to ST. Pete to me, I've already been there, but If not I would not give even one (1) of my tourist dollars to the outlaw nation.

We did the Black Sea this past august. The highlights are the three ports in the Ukraine -- yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa. I do not see how that will be viable

Btw. I have been in egypt for past two weeks on the trip of a lifetime. No problems. Flying from Luxor to sharm el sheikh tomorrow. Planning to return in 2015

Wow. Egypt now. You have a lot of guts. Did it about 4 years ago but would not do it now. It was wonderful but I guess I am a coward to do it now in the face of all the warnings. Give you all the credit in the world. :)

Wow. Egypt now. You have a lot of guts. Did it about 4 years ago but would not do it now. It was wonderful but I guess I am a coward to do it now in the face of all the warnings. Give you all the credit in the world. :)

Not a lick of trouble

Overblown in papers

Tourist areas are completely safe

We have the best guide I have ever had

Second time with him

We love it here

We walked all over the heart of cairo and went to clubs at night

Cruised on the nile

Went to alexandria and Memphis

Safer here than lots of places

Planning return to Luxor next year

At the winter palace now waiting to be picked up for flight to sharm el sheikh for a spa vacation at four seasons

I recommend egypt

Very inexpensive luxury vacation with the greatest sites of anywhere in the world

yrs.ago,but could not get my money back from insurance or cruise company.Was NOT happy,but like above.Had NO problems,only 6 of us Americans on ship.Had armed guards and cross sections blocked for our vans.Was an experience,to tell grandkids right,but not one I d willingly do again.Sorry.

Re.Budapest to Bucharest river cruise.That was me,but NOT taking Viking.Prefer more luxury,going on Scenic.

Weird when you have to read the papers,watch TV,etc.to see where ifs SAFE to travel to nowdays,eh??:(

There have been a number of instances where planned ports of call to Egypt and/or Israel have been cancelled and replaced with other ports. Not all passengers were delighted when this happened! But with the Black Sea itinerary it's hard to see how you could change one or two ports. The area IS the itinerary.

I wouldn't book now either. Things may be calm in the summer, but I'd prefer to wait and see. This morning's news reports weren't very reassuring!

Mura

We are booked on Celebrity Black Sea cruise in September this year. Following the news avidly at the moment and hoping things improve diplomatically rather than escalate but Putin seems determined to take back the Crimea.