Updates from the Emerald Princess-Feb 27-Mar 9

Rosethorn40

Hello, I am on the April 8 sailing and am wondering who the Captain is?

Thank you!

Captain Martin Stenzel, and he just recently joined the ship so I expect he will be in command for a while at least. I believe he hails from the United Kingdom.

Does anyone know which terminal we will depart from on March 9 on Emerald Princess. With 7 ships leaving that day, it will be chaotic getting to the port. Any info appreciated

It's normally Terminal 2, but you are correct that with so many ships it could be another. When you get to Port Everglades there is a large sign telling you which terminal your ship is docked. Also you might check the Princess Web Site, they may have updated information.

Rosethorn, we would be interested to learn about the entertainers and any shore excursion advice you might have. Thank you Nancy

I list the entertainment in a few days. There are a lot of choices!

What do you like to do when on the Islands? Aruba has nice beaches, and Bonaire has good snorkeling. Are you comfortable going out on your own, or do you prefer ship sponsored tours? DH and I like moderately active stuff; snorkeling, biking, swim with some kind of animal, etc.

Thank you for posting information on the Sanctuary. It does seem to be a hot topic right now. It sounds like Princess is testing the waters to see if they can fill the sanctuary at a higher price than previously. It also sounds like they can.

Enjoy your cruise. I look forward to reading more of your posts.:)

We are looking to book Balcony dining and are just curious if the first formal night is first sea day or second sea day? We don't want to book it on a formal night or French Night. (Love the escargot and don't want to miss it…):D

We are looking to book Balcony dining and are just curious if the first formal night is first sea day or second sea day? We don't want to book it on a formal night or French Night. (Love the escargot and don't want to miss it…):D

Last night (Our 2nd sea day, so day 3) was formal night. A very large percentage of passengers opted to dress up. It may have been the demographics; older, well traveled, fewer families. The spa was busy all day with hair appointments. I saw a gentleman in a dress kilt, and yes he did hail from Scotland. Saw a number of black tie as well.

Just a mention about the food. The first two nights the food was way over salted, but someone must have wrestled the salt shaker away from the cook (Can't call him/her a chef with a straight face) because last night the food was much better. Desserts IMO are still an issue. Last night I had a hazelnut chocolate cake that looked good, but I took one bite and was at a loss of what to do. I didn't want to swallow it (That bad), but couldn't spit it out either. If I want something sweet I'm sticking with fruit-It's healthier too.

We are going to try out the Crab Shack. I have high hopes:)

I list the entertainment in a few days. There are a lot of choices!

What do you like to do when on the Islands? Aruba has nice beaches, and Bonaire has good snorkeling. Are you comfortable going out on your own, or do you prefer ship sponsored tours? DH and I like moderately active stuff; snorkeling, biking, swim with some kind of animal, etc.

I was inquiring about the entertainment on the ship. In the Princess theatre etc. but shore excursion info would be welcome as well.

My husband has some mobility limitations so we try to do excursions that don't require a lot of walking.

Thank you, Nancy

One last thing about the Sanctuary. I was able to figure out how many loungers were reserved for cruise duration, and how many were available for individual days. 32 cruise-length single loungers, 3 individual-day double loungers, and 12 individual-day single loungers.

I figured it out when I went up there this morning and noticed that some of the loungers had towels on them, and some didn't. The area was devoid of passengers, so I simply counted. The ones without towel coverings are available, and by asking a simple question I found that none had been reserved for this morning.

I disembarked on the 17th but was told by the sanctuary manager the price was doubling that day. And I know the B2B cruisers were told as well. I heard the housekeeping manager informing my room steward to make sure all the in transit passengers were informed of the Sanctuary price change when she brought him the in transit information for his passengers.

This post is 100% correct. Also, I presume it would have been up to Mr. Mazzone to inform the CD staff to update the Patter entry to the new pricing. He oversees the Sanctuary and he got the memo advising of the price increase.

I paid the $540, but I still have my platter from the 27th. I am going to take a closer look. Of course the attendant did tell me the $540, so I don't know if I will win my argument, but it's worth a shot.

I bet it's like going to the grocery store and finding out something was misspriced in the newspaper ad. All they have to do is declare a printing mistake was made and advise of the correct price. Nonetheless, there's no harm in trying to make a case. Also Princess can fall back on the old "price is subject to change at anytime" line.

This post is 100% correct. Also, I presume it would have been up to Mr. Mazzone to inform the CD staff to update the Patter entry to the new pricing. He oversees the Sanctuary and he got the memo advising of the price increase.

Why is the maitre d' in charge of the Sanctuary?

Went to the Captain's Circle party tonight and learned the follow interesting facts; Of the 3000 PAX on board, 600 are sailing for the first time with Princess, there are 300 Elites and 900 Platinum's on board.

Tonight (Day 5) is the deck party.

do you have any more information on the all inclusive drink package? I didn't think the Emerald had this yet.

I am interested in information on a non-alcoholic drink package. Is that part of the soda package?

Last night we tried out dinner at the Crab Shack. Enjoyed it very much. You start off with Fried Shrimp and hush puppies, followed by a bowl of Manhattan Style Clam Chowder. My DH normally does not care for Manhattan style, as he prefers New England style, but even he proclaimed the soup delicious.

You have 4 entrees from which to pick, and it is a shared pot. We decided on the Emerald Steamer which included clams, mussels, shrimp, snow crab legs, as well as sausage, small potatoes, and 2 pieces of corn-on-the-cob. We asked for and they included a number of crayfish as well. Our waiter was very agreeable, and if you rather have more mussels, and fewer clams he will accommodate you. It was more than enough food. We went at 7:30 (Had reservations) and the place was full. We left a little after nine and the crowd had thinned out by then. It's opened 3-nights during the cruise and according to our waiter it has proven popular. DH wants to go back this Friday.

At peak times the service was a little uneven. I think they have a number of new crew that just joined the ship that are in the process of being trained.

The mussels, clams, and shrimp tasted fresh. Not 100% sure about the snow crab, but ours wasn't mushy.